Anyone lose weight WITHOUT taking up running?

Options

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    30 lbs of the 42 I've dropped so far weren't from running. They were mostly from aerobics, weights, and walking.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Yup. I lost almost all of my 40 pounds by walking. Miles and miles of walking, pretty much every day. Along with weight machines and (later on) some low-impact cardio machines. And climbing lots and lots of (real) stairs. Now that I'm lighter, there's less strain on my knees and CV system, and I'm taking more of an interest in running. But I literally didn't even run a mile during nearly six months of steady weight loss.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Not only did I not run, but I did zero cardio and cut 30lbs by changing my diet and lifting weights in beast mode!
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't run at all--hate it, always have, even when I played baseball & football in my younger days. I do walk just about every day, though, so I do get some sort of cardio in. I've lost a little more than 30 pounds so far this year by just changing my eating/drinking habits and walking.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is 80-90% about food choices and controlling your calories.

Find an exercise/activity that is effective for you by starting with something you enjoy. You are more likely to participate in the long term if you don't despise the exercise.

And, yes, like most of the other replies, I too have lost considerable weight with very little cardio at all. I walk my dogs. I run a mile or two here or there. I mix in some sprints. Cardio is about 10-15% of my regimen.

I am a big advocate of lifting weights, but, as stated above, find what you like.

Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there have a weight loss success story that did NOT involve taking up running? I've tried running off and on the past few years and just can't get into it. But I feel like every success story I read, Biggest Loser, etc. always cites running as the major component of success. I really enjoy walking - I'm talking fast walking, working up a good sweat, not just leisurely - as well as spinning, Body Pump and other sculpting type classes, but I'm wondering if this is good enough for my weight loss goals. I'm going to purchase a heart rate monitor to make sure I'm really getting a good workout with the activities I listed, but I'm just curious if anyone has lost 30-40 pounds without becoming a runner??

I lost 20 Lbs before I ever lifted a finger in exercise. Weight loss is all about calorie deficit...if you're using MFP, that deficit is built into you calorie goal...net to your calorie goal and you lose weight. You're actually supposed to eat back exercise calories with the MFP method due to the way that GOAL is set up.

That said, you should find something you enjoy and get off the couch. Being a healthy weight and BF% is only a singular part of overall health. You need exercise for fitness...I would recommend a balanced approach of cardio (weight lifting for your heart and cardiovascular system) and resistance training (to work your muscles).
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Me. I lost 30 lbs. I have had 3 kids naturally and now high impact is not for me anymore. I initially did a combo of Body Pump and Flow but added road biking about 6 weeks ago for cardio. It is amazing and I love it. Body Pump really helped my biking, my hubby, who is a road warrior was really impressed on my first bike out ;).
  • LizAnn925
    LizAnn925 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Of course! I try jogging now and then, but with a worn knee, a testy sciatic nerve, and a swollen Achilles, it just doesn't seem like it's for me! I can 100% say that all of my weight loss since March (about 15 pounds since then) was from simply a diet change. I just started eating clean - a ton of raw vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fish like cod and tilapia. I also stopped eating meat completely. I think that is what contributed the most to my weight loss.

As far as exercise goes, I am a huge fan of lifting weights. Super sets are the key to my success - doing about 15 reps and 5 sets of different exercises with lighter weights. That has helped me a lot too. Biking and yoga help too. The classes you are doing with definitely get you the results you are looking for! Walking is wonderful for you too, so keep it up! You don't have to run - it can just be any easy way to burn a lot of calories at once.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving. You don't have to run. Work different muscles and you will be successful.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Me. I'd do more damage than good if I took up running at this weight but it's something I've never enjoyed in any case.
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could run even if something with sharp teeth were chasing me. I'm still losing. Eat wisely, watch the sodium intake, and move.

I walk everywhere.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I gained weight due to not being able to run (leg injury), and eating like I was still running. Lost that extra weight while still not being able to run, by eating less.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have, I hate running, never have been a runner, never will be. I walk about 3.2 mph, do strength training, squats, situps and cardio. And, as you can see I have lost over 50 pounds and toned up quite nicely.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The craziest misconception out there is you have to exercise to lose weight...that is just NOT true. You have to exercise to help your heart get healthy but all you need to do is cut back on your calories to lose weight. You may want to exercise to get that loose skin firm and you may want to exercise to make your heart rate go down (which is a good thing) but you can sit on your butt and lose weight as long as your eating less.
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    At 75 there is no way I can run - 2 artificial hips, a knee and a fused neck. However in the past 20 months I have lost 30 pounds - I do a sit and be fit class which involves bands, balls and weights 3 times a week. I also do as much yard work as I can - it is slow but it is coming off! Keep moving as much as possible, eat at a deficit and practice patience!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I started out with walking and step exercises indoors helped me shift quite a bit. I do run now but only because I can and I still do step and have added resistance work outs
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm a run-aholic NOW, but I lost my first 30 lbs (of 45 total) without running at all!

Losing weight is much more about dieting anyways...I kept my calories under my goal and did do some exercise - primarily the elliptical, some yoga, and an Xbox Kinect game (Your Shape Fitness Evolved I think it was called - I don't have it anymore). I lost 30 lbs in 5 months.

Now I run, and while I have lost more weight, it's once again about diet. Running and training for tough races is what motivates me to eat healthy, but if I didn't eat healthy I wouldn't lose.

As much as I love running now (and keep trying to tell people how awesome it is, once you build up your endurance enough to enjoy it), you can totally lose weight without it!
  • VirtuallyAmy
    VirtuallyAmy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do not run unless forced! Ha! I joke that I am learning karate because I cannot run away. :wink:

I agree with many here. You still need to be active for the healthiest weight loss, but find something you enjoy. Even if you have to try several things until you find it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The 25 lbs I've lost so far have not included running. Stairs, walking, treadmill walking on incline, hiking, swimming, etc.

The 51 lbs I lost several years ago also did not include running as I could not even walk at the time. Eating plan only.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Uh-yeah. WHat makes you think you have to run?