Low FODMAP: prepared products, recipes, friends?

Options
I was diagnosed with IBS recently, and my dietician suggested I try the low FODMAP diet. It's a little overwhelming. The no onions or garlic bit is especially difficult, since I often cook with both, and they're in many products. Also, I really enjoy baking, but now have to avoid wheat. So, I'm looking for suggestions (including where you buy them) for the following products from others who follow this diet:
  • chicken stock (I do not want to make my own from scratch)
  • prepared pasta sauce
  • pancake mix - I live alone and like to make a single serving. Currently I use Kodiak Cakes wheat, oat, and honey and like it a lot
  • all purpose flour - I like to bake bread as well as things like cookies, cakes, muffins, cupcakes, etc.
  • bread - I like rice cakes in place of toast, but curious about favourite gluten free (well, really just wheat, barley, and rye free is what matters) breads for making sandwiches or french toast

I might think of more things to add to this list too. Also, if anyone who follows this diet would like to share some of their favourite recipes and/or be friends to share meal ideas, that would be great too. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Like Udi's bread & bagels. I think Bob's has the best gluten free pancake mix. Look into tiger nut flour for baking. I love it & it's 1 to 1 ratio to wheat flour.

Um, no, you actually want Gluten free. You be surprised what can contain gluten like soy sauce, vinegar, shampoo, etc. Unless, it says gluten free don't drink beer.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For low FODMAP, it is not gluten that's the problem. It's about the carbohydrates that happen to also be present in wheat, barley, and rye. But thank you for the recommendations.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm also on a low fodmap diet. Mine is even more restricted because I have a malabsorption disorder. So, I can't eat grains, starches, or fodmaps. Hopefully I will recover from this someday. But, I am eating food, gained back my weight (malabsorption caused weight loss), and my health issues all improved 95%. The Monash University Low Fodmap Diet App is helpful.
  • klburlew
    klburlew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter started the diet strict for Two weeks and then started adding things back. Right now we know here main triggers are garlic and onion. She can have a small amount of barbecue sauce but that's the limit.

I bought the app for my phone. New stuff is added as it gets tested. We are now trying a pro biotic from England
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Oh yeah, my Rheumatologist said no gluten for me. She says I have the symptoms of celiac disease. But, I have malabsorption to non-gluten grains as well. And to supplements that are similar to gluten (apparently).
  • mathandcats
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here's an update of some products that I've found that are low FODMAP:
    • chicken stock concentrate: Trader Joe's Savory Broth Chicken Flavour Reduced Sodium Liquid Concentrate, which comes in a box of I believe 12 packets. It says natural flavor and spices on it, but I inquired and while they would not tell me the ingredients, they did assure me there are no onions or garlic. If you don't have a TJs around, I have a hunch that Savory Choice brand's product is the same thing. The ingredients are identical and packaging is extremely similar.
    • protein bars: Square Bars. They are pretty tasty, but are obviously rice protein based. But they are pretty good, and based on the ingredients I believe they are low FODMAP.
    • bread: Glutino gluten free white sandwich bread is pretty tasty - great fluffy texture. Anything trying to be multigrain or brown tends to have molasses or honey or other issues.
    • garlic oil: Trader Joe's sells a garlic infused olive oil for $4 per bottle, and this is a low FODMAP way to get garlic back into your recipes!
    • pancake syrup: Log Cabin sells a HFCS free pancake syrup, if you don't want to put real maple syrup on.
    • oyster sauce: some contain flour, but Kikkoman's does not.
    • salad dressing: Opa Greek yogurt Strawberry poppyseed is creamy and tasty and onion and garlic free. It could be an issue if you are extremely lactose intolerant, but most people can handle yogurt.

I'm still hoping for ketchup and BBQ sauce, but I suspect I will not find any prepared ones that don't have onion or garlic (or, in the case of BBQ sauce, honey or molasses are common high FODMAP ingredients too).
  • mathandcats
    Options
    Here's another thing I'm looking for: a low FODMAP option to replace graham cracker crumbs in dessert crusts. Most things I've found that are GF (to avoid wheat) have honey, molasses, or agave in them. I would be happy to blitz up something like animal crackers too, but those have had the same issues so far. Any suggestions?
  • DaveT
    DaveT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lots of good feedback on this thread for those of us w/FODMAP issues. My life changed dramatically for the better when I found Dr. Sue Sheppard's book "The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet". It's loaded with recipes and practical tips. I highly recommend it. Best of health to everyone struggling with this!
  • mathandcats
    Options
    Oh, I am confused now. Is molasses low FODMAP or not? I thought it wasn't, but now see that it's not in the Monash database but some tables list it as low.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My life is dramatically better since going low fodmap (and also no grains because of my malabsorption). I am definitely continuing to improve and get better and better. And I eat lots of low fodmap veggies, fiber, soluble fiber. So that I will still be feeding the good bacteria. I also drink a very good quality kefir (might not technically be low fodmap, but I can tolerate it and it helps). And I take a probiotic that is 150 billion per pill. So, probably I am ok. I just worry if it could be bad to be low fodmap for a long time. That it could starve out more bacteria and lose my ability to ever digest fodmaps again. But, it's definitely helping me and worth it. When I experiment with adding things back I want to try butternut squash. I want to try it. I just don't want my symptoms to come back. But, do you think we need to be low fodmap for a long time? The app says 4-6 weeks. But, I definitely didn't fully recover that fast. I guess I just need to keep being patient with it. Diet is what's helping me most. It's really amazing actually. I have histamine problems also. But, I have improved a lot.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Honey and agave are high fodmap. I think coconut sugar is high fodmap. I don't know about molasses.

Edit to add: Molasses has not been analyzed for FODMAPs at Monash University but older data in the USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference suggest it has excess fructose. 
  • mathandcats
    Options
    I just worry if it could be bad to be low fodmap for a long time. That it could starve out more bacteria and lose my ability to ever digest fodmaps again. But, it's definitely helping me and worth it. When I experiment with adding things back I want to try butternut squash. I want to try it. I just don't want my symptoms to come back. But, do you think we need to be low fodmap for a long time? The app says 4-6 weeks. But, I definitely didn't fully recover that fast. I guess I just need to keep being patient with it. Diet is what's helping me most. It's really amazing actually. I have histamine problems also. But, I have improved a lot.

I'm far from an expert on low FODMAP, but my understanding is that after the elimination phase, you should slowly be testing your tolerance to the different FODMAPs, under the supervision of a dietician who knows low FODMAP. It is not meant to be a diet you follow strictly (like the elimination phase) forever. I have to find a different dietician who knows more about low FODMAP, as my current one (provided free because I'm a student) doesn't know much about it at all...
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah, I understand. It's challenging. I hope you find a good one. I have a good Rheumatologist that's my main medical doctor. But, for diet doctors don't deal with that. She did tell me to do a food diary, track symptoms, and eliminate. And to go to someone that could help guide me with diet. She said naturopaths usually understand malabsorption dietary issues better than a dietician. But, you have to be cautious with that as well. And can be expensive. She wasn't saying go to a naturopath instead of doctors. But that they can help with the day to day diet stuff that doctors don't have time for.
  • mathandcats
    Options
    I want to update: I don't think Square Bars are low FODMAP. There is not a clear answer about the status of coconut nectar, but since coconut sugar and coconut are both things to be limited, I think the coconut nectar (first ingredient in Square Bars!) could be problematic. Sorry about that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah. Coconut products tend to be high fodmap. But, I eat a little coconut oil in my cooking.
  • mathandcats
    Options
    Yeah. Coconut products tend to be high fodmap. But, I eat a little coconut oil in my cooking.

Coconut oil is fine because its entirely fat (FODMAP free since carb free)!

I just heard back from Progresso, and Progresso chicken broth is onion and garlic free as well.
  • mathandcats
    Options
    A few more products:
    • Protein powder: Quest uses isolates, so it is essentially lactose free, and should be fine. Certainly, before all my digestive issues got really bad, but when I was already lactose intolerant, I was still able to have Quest protein powder and bars.
    • Ice cream: several flavours of Lactaid ice cream should be fine. Just avoid the berry crumble, cookies and cream, and salted caramel (they have, respectively: wheat, wheat, HFCS).
  • mathandcats
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I haven't tried any of their stuff, but I just stumbled across Nicer Foods low FODMAP products: https://nicerfoods.com/low-fodmap-food-shop/. They have beef and chicken style bouillon cubes, among other things. (Personally, I think the rest is ridiculously expensive - you can make a bar like that very easily yourself for much, much less, and the spice mixes could be made up on your own too.) edit: Actually, you can find the bouillon cubes on Amazon too.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'll be checking in to this thread regularly. It does give me hope that there are replacement products. I'll have to check what can be ordered online (most of the brands mentioned don't exist here).

I'll pass along anything interesting our group finds in French/German and recipes we might stumble across that pass our field testing. It's a good thing the friend of mine who needs to eat low FODMAP likes to cook and that the group of friends she hangs out with also likes to cook and quite gladly took up the challenge to help her. She was getting a bit depressed.

The dietician she has is at least well versed in low FODMAP so she at least has support from that side.

Best of luck to anyone going through this. It made me realize just how lucky I was to be 'just' overweight but with no dietary limitations.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    download the monash app, it has reciepes and good information...also be aware this is NOT a permanent diet. you should try and reintroduce foods to see which ones you can and cannot tolerate and what amounts.