What's a good meal replacement shake?

Recently I was drinking shakeology for about 3 months or so but its too expensive. I'm looking for other options, something that can help curve my cravings, lose weight and just in general something healthy and something that taste good.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    chena078 wrote: »
    Recently I was drinking shakeology for about 3 months or so but its too expensive. I'm looking for other options, something that can help curve my cravings, lose weight and just in general something healthy and something that taste good.

That would be "food".

Why do you want to replace meals?
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    What are your calorie requirements per serving? Do you want a certain amount of protein, what about macros?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    When I was suffering from severe tonsilitis and couldn't eat real food I made a couple of concoctions that were as close as I could get to replacing a meal (so pretty high calorie)

300ml unsweetened almond milk
    50g zero fat greek yoghurt (only zero fat because I prefer the taste)
    50g strawberries
    100g banana
    scoop strawberry flavour protein powder

the other concoction took out the strawberries and protein powder replacing with peanut butter. Everything whizzed up in to a thick and very filling milkshake at about 350 Calories.

But as nice as they were I only made those because I couldn't actually eat, and although I make similar (without protein powder) as a healthy snack for my children, I still prefer real food and would only have one as a treat on a workout day if I'm struggling to get the Calories in.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Any generic whey protein powder will suffice. "Meal replacements" are normally filled with sugar and a nominal amount of vitmains so that they can charge more.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    I rate Huel (https://huel.com/)

I use it when I'm travelling and can't get hold of a decent, calorie-sensible meal (Brewers Fayre - I'm looking at you and your 1000 calorie salads!!!)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Meal replacements aren't necessary for weight loss. Though they can be convenient for grab and go situations.

Options that are cheaper then Shakeology:
    - EAS AdvantEdge (the powder form is 60 cals for Vanilla/70 cals for chocolate and both have 15 g protein and 21 vitamins/minerals with 10 oz skim milk you are at 25 g protein 173-183 cals) $17.99 for 35/37 servings on Amazon
    - Fitmiss Delight (90 calories 16 g protein and a few vitamins) $30 amazon for 36 servings + multivitamin
    - IdealShake (100 calories 11 g protein and lots of vitamins) around $52 with shipping costs for 30 servings
  • Elliewowo
    Elliewowo Posts: 4 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you! The "310 shake" is the best for me, but all depend to your goal, I had bookmarked this article few weeks ago http://www.wealthformyhealth.com/weight-loss-protein-shakes/, if it can help you, I have almost finished my bag, someone have tested "ideal shape" ? many people talk about an incredible taste.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I posted earlier but it got reported by mistake.

I also recommend the idealshape shakes. I have tried all the flavors and I love 4 out of the 6 (chocolate, vanilla, cookies n cream, and chocolate cream pie are good. I did not care for strawberry or mocha).
    I would wait for a sale to come around. Sometimes they do a buy 2 get 1 free sale so you are paying $33/tub which is just over $1/shake. They have different specials going on a lot, so I would check the website out. They offer samples for some flavors, but cookies n cream and chocolate cream pie are too new and they don't have samples.
    I've lost 30 pounds thus far having one for breakfast and occasionally as another meal. I blend with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and ice and it's quite satisfying.

And a disclaimer: It does not affect me if you buy any. I don't get paid or anything. It's not an MLM. You have to buy from the website. I just really like their products so I'm happy to recommend them to people.
  • shadow2soul
    edited July 2016

I also recommend the idealshape shakes. I have tried all the flavors and I love 4 out of the 6 (chocolate, vanilla, cookies n cream, and chocolate cream pie are good. I did not care for strawberry or mocha).
    I would wait for a sale to come around. Sometimes they do a buy 2 get 1 free sale so you are paying $33/tub which is just over $1/shake. They have different specials going on a lot, so I would check the website out. They offer samples for some flavors, but cookies n cream and chocolate cream pie are too new and they don't have samples.
    I've lost 30 pounds thus far having one for breakfast and occasionally as another meal. I blend with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and ice and it's quite satisfying.

And a disclaimer: It does not affect me if you buy any. I don't get paid or anything. It's not an MLM. You have to buy from the website. I just really like their products so I'm happy to recommend them to people.

They are actually offering the cookies n' cream in a sample pack now. And doing a give away on their facebook page today (seems they do one every friday).

I participate in a few of their free workout challenges, but have never tried any of their shakes or protein powders. Though reviews say they are really good. I want to try them, but will have to wait until I have more room in my budget.

And ya not an MLM. Just a company like EAS or Musclepharm or GNC.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    For an occasional meal replacement when busy at work, I use either Premier Protein or EAS AdvantEDGE shakes.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    I knew a guy who had his mouth wired shut for a few weeks. All he drank was shakes and ensure.

He got sick of it and blended up a chipotle burrito. There's a protein packed meal "replacement" shake! It'll likely curb your appetite too! ;)
  • shadow2soul
    I knew a guy who had his mouth wired shut for a few weeks. All he drank was shakes and ensure.

He got sick of it and blended up a chipotle burrito. There's a protein packed meal "replacement" shake! It'll likely curb your appetite too! ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chena078
    chena078 Posts: 4 Member
    Meal replacements aren't necessary for weight loss. Though they can be convenient for grab and go situations.

Options that are cheaper then Shakeology:
    - EAS AdvantEdge (the powder form is 60 cals for Vanilla/70 cals for chocolate and both have 15 g protein and 21 vitamins/minerals with 10 oz skim milk you are at 25 g protein 173-183 cals) $17.99 for 35/37 servings on Amazon
    - Fitmiss Delight (90 calories 16 g protein and a few vitamins) $30 amazon for 36 servings + multivitamin
    - IdealShake (100 calories 11 g protein and lots of vitamins) around $52 with shipping costs for 30 servings

Thanks! I'm going to look into Idealshake!
  • chena078
    chena078 wrote: »

That would be "food".

Why do you want to replace meals?

I've been replacing my dinners almost everyday since Feb. until this month. It's so convenient, after my workout I just blend it all up and drink it. These last few weeks I've been having "food" but i still want an option.
  • Nic_813
    Nic_813 Posts: 21 Member
    I like the convenience of replacing a meal. It's helped me lose weight over the past month and a half. I was on Medifast but it's so expensive on my single mom budget. I like the program but I don't want to take away from my son. I have replaced my shakes with the EAS soy protein powder. It's higher in calories than what I was getting but it does curb my appetite longer. I may have 1 or 2 a day. I'm just confused on protein (whey or soy) verses things like Slim Fast. So far this is working but still confused on all the "rules" to shakes and such.
  • chena078
    I like the convenience of replacing a meal. It's helped me lose weight over the past month and a half. I was on Medifast but it's so expensive on my single mom budget. I like the program but I don't want to take away from my son. I have replaced my shakes with the EAS soy protein powder. It's higher in calories than what I was getting but it does curb my appetite longer. I may have 1 or 2 a day. I'm just confused on protein (whey or soy) verses things like Slim Fast. So far this is working but still confused on all the "rules" to shakes and such.

I'm confused as well ! I've read good and bad things about soy. I'm looking into the idealshape shakes. They have less calories than the one you are drinking.
  • Nic_813
    Nic_813 Posts: 21 Member
    I know some people have allergies to soy but I seem to be okay with it. I'm just clueless. This shake is about 70 calories more than I was getting but also more protein and carbs. Not too happy with the carbs but even Slim Fast has way more. I will look into the IdealShakes also. Keep me posted on any more info you may find.
  • shadow2soul
    Slimfast has lots of sugar and the original powder only has 2 g protein relying on milk tp get it to 10 g. So really it's more like a vitamin in powder form with lots of sugar.
  • WildroseMom89
    WildroseMom89 Posts: 8 Member
    I love vega one, non gmo, 20 grams of protein, vegan, probiotics, antioxidants, omega 3, 6 servings of greens, and it's sweetened with stevia. I think it's cheaper than shakeology but it's not set up like a MLM. You can buy it at Walmart, some drug stores, and online.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member

They are actually offering the cookies n' cream in a sample pack now. And doing a give away on their facebook page today (seems they do one every friday).

I participate in a few of their free workout challenges, but have never tried any of their shakes or protein powders. Though reviews say they are really good. I want to try them, but will have to wait until I have more room in my budget.

And ya not an MLM. Just a company like EAS or Musclepharm or GNC.

Have you had good results with their workout challenges? I get the emails, but the meal plans seemed a little restrictive! I have thought about giving it a try!

I didn't realize cookies n cream was a sample now! The new chocolate cream pie one is so good I've been having it every day all week. I'll go back to switching it up next week probably! I would love it if they made a cookie dough flavor or birthday cake or peanut butter cup! I know you can add in things like powdered peanut butter, but when I'm in a hurry I just like being able to add a scoop of powder and be done with it!