Replies

• godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What is your question exactly?
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to write the whole thing but then it disappears when I try to post! Gah!
  • ColetteM6
    Options
    5'3" lady 29 years old
    SW 171 (June 2016)
    GW 119 (want to be maintaining here by March 2017)

I didn't account for the first "easy 10 lbs" when I made my goals. I planned to be 163 by the end of July, 157 by end of Aug etc. But 3 weeks in and I'm already 161 (water weight but not complaining!).
    A) roll with the quick 10 and stick to the original goals?
    B) adjust to account for real future fat loss?

*sigh* I really hope this doesn't show on the forum 3 times
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The big woosh at the start was most likely water weight as your body adjusted to the lower calories. Keep on your original goal. The loss will slow down.
  • ColetteM6
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    The big woosh at the start was most likely water weight as your body adjusted to the lower calories. Keep on your original goal. The loss will slow down.

Understood- but this means I would plan for no loss during the month of July. Should I just plot it so that July I hover around 161? Or should I skip that original goal and change it to, say, 157?
    Thank you for the reply!
  • capaul42
    Options
    No, just continue your plan. Weight loss isn't linear and the scale will fluctuate (as much as 8lb in a single day) constantly based on lots of variables. Some weeks you'll lose 3lbs, some less than 1lb. Some weeks you'll remain the same.

Just track what the scale says, take measurements every few weeks (sometimes these will show loss that water weight will hide), and don't worry so much.

• beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    smarieb306 wrote: »
    Understood- but this means I would plan for no loss during the month of July. Should I just plot it so that July I hover around 161? Or should I skip that original goal and change it to, say, 157?
    Thank you for the reply!

Change your goals.

If you're a singer, and your goal is to June 1: 'sign to a record label', July 1: 'write first song', Aug 1: 'hear first song on radio', Sept 1: 'Go on tour'.....

Well, if it's June 15, and your song is already on the radio, the July 1 and Aug 1 goals are meaningless.

Same here. Adjust your June 30 goal to 161. Change your July 31 goal to 157, so you have something to shoot for. Then keep a diary and write the date you actually made it to 157. Keep your August, September, October, etc. goals the same unless you reach a goal a month early.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No, just continue your plan. Weight loss isn't linear and the scale will fluctuate (as much as 8lb in a single day) constantly based on lots of variables. Some weeks you'll lose 3lbs, some less than 1lb. Some weeks you'll remain the same.

Just track what the scale says, take measurements every few weeks (sometimes these will show loss that water weight will hide), and don't worry so much.

This.

I don't understand the point of monthly weight loss goals. You can eat on target every single day and not hit a weight loss goal due to water weight fluctuation. Our bodies aren't mathematical machines that notch down evenly click click click as we lose weight. It seems like a recipe for frustration and makes me think of Robert Burns' poem To a Mouse...

The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
    Gang aft agley,
    An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
    For promis’d joy!
  • ColetteM6
    Options

This.

I don't understand the point of monthly weight loss goals. You can eat on target every single day and not hit a weight loss goal due to water weight fluctuation. Our bodies aren't mathematical machines that notch down evenly click click click as we lose weight. It seems like a recipe for frustration and makes me think of Robert Burns' poem To a Mouse...

The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
    Gang aft agley,
    An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
    For promis’d joy!
    [/quote]

No worries! I completely understand that this is not linear and definitely understand fluid fluctuations. I'm experimenting with monthly goals because in the past I would get a bit derailed thinking about "6months from now".
    Just trying a different goal system.
  • capaul42
    Options
    @smarieb306 Instead of monthly weight loss goals, look at some other goals. I have goals for all kinds of things. Currently my goals are: doing a full pushup on my toes with perfect form, getting to 15,000 steps at least twice a week, working out 5x a week, winning the Workweek hustle challenge on fitbit at least once, starting Strong Curves, doing a bodyweight pull up (so not even close lol), up my weights another 5lbs, lose another inch off my waist, hit 25% body fat (measured with calipers, currently 27%), and lastly: hit my goal weight.

I don't set my goals with deadlines as this is a lifestyle change for me. If I hit my goal, I celebrate. If I don't, I just keep going til I do. But my goals are all pretty attainable and I usually hit them every few weeks. I've hit probably a dozen goals I set myself in the last few months. I just keep creating new ones.
  • ColetteM6
    Options
    @smarieb306 Instead of monthly weight loss goals, look at some other goals. I have goals for all kinds of things. Currently my goals are: doing a full pushup on my toes with perfect form, getting to 15,000 steps at least twice a week, working out 5x a week, winning the Workweek hustle challenge on fitbit at least once, starting Strong Curves, doing a bodyweight pull up (so not even close lol), up my weights another 5lbs, lose another inch off my waist, hit 25% body fat (measured with calipers, currently 27%), and lastly: hit my goal weight.

I don't set my goals with deadlines as this is a lifestyle change for me. If I hit my goal, I celebrate. If I don't, I just keep going til I do. But my goals are all pretty attainable and I usually hit them every few weeks. I've hit probably a dozen goals I set myself in the last few months. I just keep creating new ones.

I like- I'm gonna roll with this. Actually one of my non-weight goals is to accomplish a single pull up! Never in my life have I managed one (and I used to be a gymnast!). Hahaha!

• capaul42
    Options
    Lol, I can't even do a chin up yet. But I'm working on it :)