Lightheaded/Loss of vision when I stand up?

Options
2»

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I think it's low blood pressure in my case. I used to have this problem when I was younger. When I slowly gained weigh it vanished, and when I started losing weight it came back when I was about 65kg. Now I'm around 57 for more than a year and it just remained. It does seem to be better though when I work out. I had to take a 3 week workout break due to all sorts of things going wrong: a massive blister on my heel that got infected, a cold, and then I slept with my head twisted oddly and now my neck hurts *sigh* been pretty bad these past three weeks.

Yeah, mine seems better now that I workout regularly too. My Doctor said I have to be careful to keep my sodium levels up because I also get vaso-vagal syncope when it's particularly bad and I will pass out (hitting everything in the room on the way down when I do because I'm just lucky like that).
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a 30 day heart monitor because of this issue. Definitely bring it up with yours just to rule it out. My blood pressure ended up being extremely high (sodium related) and once I cut the salt, I haven't had this problem again.
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough...
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you're going to faint?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    oh no, i definitely have this. especially in the morning when i wake up. =/
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Its happened to me several times. I ate chicken broth when I started feeling that way and it helped. I also cut my BP medicine in half. I did inform both my Docs, and they agreed it was the correct thing to do.
  • emily120699
    emily120699 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This happens to me! I'm 5'5 135 pounds, and burn about 3500 calories a week, but a lot of times I'm dizzy and lose vision for a second when I stand. Sometimes this happens when you stand too fast, or if you're not eating enough. If suggest increasing your calories if it bothers you.
  • HonduranRosa
    HonduranRosa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started having that problem when I turned 13. I am 20 now. It had gotten to the point where I was passing out up to 7 times a day. I went to a cardiologist and was diagnosed with hypotension (low blood pressure upon standing). The doctor told me to eat more salt and drink more water. But it has been the salt that has really helped with the symptoms. Now I still get dizzy and lose vision upon standing, but I can't remember the last time I passed out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Check to see if you have dysautonomia or POTS with your doctor. I also get symptoms of lightheadedness, loss of vision, and disoriented upon changing positions. A friend with dysautonomia told me to get screened for the disorder (however my symptoms are minor compared to hers) but it might be worth it just to get a medical professional's opinion.

Could also be that you're not eating enough so your body is having a hard time regulating your blood circulation. I have no idea - I'm not a medical professional. Only one that can tell you if somethings up is the doc.

POTS has a huge range of effects and highly variable amongst thouse who have it. Some have very few effects (dizziness/light headed/higher heart rate) while others have more extreme effects (extreme lethargy and fatigue, elevated heart rate, passing/blacking out, etc.). My wife falls towards to right of the spectrum and has been hospitalized at times for it.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Only a doctor can say for sure. Have some info ready for your visit to help the doctor:
    When people eat less food, they also tend to drink less. Log your fluids- everything you drink. You could be dehydrated. Also log all sodium intake. Show doctor how much calories, fluids, salt, sugars you average in a day. If dizziness is worse at certain times of day or on certain days, note that too.
    Get an automatic blood pressure cuff. Check your BP & heart rate when you first wake up & laying in bed. Leave the cuff on and sit up on side of bed for a minute. Check BP & HR again. Then stand up for a minute and check again. Do that a couple different mornings. Also check BP & HR at other times of day for a few days. Log it all- there's free apps available to track it & make a graph you can show at doctor visit.
    When you go to doctor, ask if you are well enough to start exercising. Being sedentary makes the heart & vascular system weak.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have POTS and this has happened to me since I was 14 - I'm 34. I am
    Now on lexipro as that seems to help take the edge off. I also take a salt supplement. For some reason shoving chips in my face didn't appeal to me- even when I wasn't calorie restricting.
  • Fasaanya
    Fasaanya Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's your calorie range that is causing your problems. I water fast for weeks at a time without any negative effects. See a doctor.

By mentioning that, when i tried water fasting for 3days i had lots of horrible side effects. I had nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue, lack of sleep and that light-headed feeling when standing up.The bright side is that my skin got better, but I don't hope to get in that experience again. >.<

Whenever i fast (16hours max.) I get that light-headed feeling. I believe it's because of lack of sodium, water consumption or because I didn't have a proper amount of cals the day before (less than 1000 for me). My sister, though, had that feeling before and got her eye-sight checked. Now she's wearing glasses :D it might be some kind of a similar problem.

when i have that feeling, i try lifting my legs up (usually before standing) to get more blood into my head. It works!
  • Cyndo123
    Cyndo123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor

enough said.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    I started having that problem when I turned 13. I am 20 now. It had gotten to the point where I was passing out up to 7 times a day. I went to a cardiologist and was diagnosed with hypotension (low blood pressure upon standing). The doctor told me to eat more salt and drink more water. But it has been the salt that has really helped with the symptoms. Now I still get dizzy and lose vision upon standing, but I can't remember the last time I passed out.

Salt has not helped me. I'm eating a fairly normal diet anyway and don't avoid salt. Things don't even improve after eating a whole bag of crisps. I'm drinking enough as well. My suspicion is it's related to how I sit. I prefer to sit cross legged or my legs folded behind me. When I stand up then blood 'falls' into my legs. I don't know... if I just sit the 'normal' way I'm extremely restless and fidget-y and calmer if I sit somewhat curled up. But why this plays a role only when not being overweight I don't know.