Anyone heard of 'Bountiful Baskets'?

pchesnut
pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
If you have done it before what was your experience. Were the fruits and vegetables fresh? Was the basket more or less expensive then if you had purchased all the items at a grocer or farmers market?

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Most of the time they were super fresh, super good and inexpensive in comparsion..

they have organic virgin coconut oil 1/2 gal jar for 20 bucks.. that's a steal!!
    I love them.. i just hate the pick up times by me and that you have only a 20 minute window to go get the stuff. .. and in the summer i don't have enough time to cook all the stuff I get.. but it's good stuff!!!

i do it in the winter more.

I love them!
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Most of the time they were super fresh, super good and inexpensive in comparsion..

they have organic virgin coconut oil 1/2 gal jar for 20 bucks.. that's a steal!!
    I love them.. i just hate the pick up times by me and that you have only a 20 minute window to go get the stuff. .. and in the summer i don't have enough time to cook all the stuff I get.. but it's good stuff!!!

i do it in the winter more.

I love them!

So they do it year round? In the winter where is most of the produce coming from? If it is coming from way down south I worry it won't be fresh by the time it makes it up to me (I am in MT)
    I don't mind the pick-up time but I just don't want to get mediocre stuff.
  • jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    I did it a couple of times. Tried sharing a basket with another family at first, but it doesn't really work because you can't split a head of broccoli so you end up doing one family gets this and another gets that and the savings doesn't really add up that way.

Also, the last time I got a basket one of the lemons was moldy and the romaine lettuce was wilted. It was a hot day so I understood, but it was disappointing. Still, I recommend trying it. It is a really great concept and I know a few other families who love it!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Yep year round..

it's not necesssarily local produce.. so it would get to you in trucks.. just like the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

I did get bad strawberries once.. and another time the asparagus was moldy (but they told us it might be because it wasnt' on a refrigerated truck, which SUCKED) I did it for like 8 months or something.. only had a few mishaps or bad "eggs" so to speak. I keep looking at it really wanting to do it again, but i'm too busy to make the pick up time right now..

*sigh*
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Looks like its not in New York. :(
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    I use BB every chance I get! Todays haul was HUGE with the Mexican add-on as well as the Melon add-on. I have no idea how I"m going to get through all of it, but it will happen!

I'll also be spending a lot of time on Google trying to figure out what some of the items are, hehe.