What to do with disgusting protein bars?

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
Back in April, I saw a $1 protein bar at Wal-Mart called Muscle Tech 100% Premium Protein Plus Deluxe Chocolate Bar, and it was the last of its kind left. At the time, I thought the bar was REALLY tasty. I came back when they restocked and bought the whole row of bars, but didn't touch the bars again until today. I'm not sure if I was just hungry the first time I tried this bar or if the restocked bars had a change, but there's the strongest aftertaste and an unpleasant artificial taste that gets worse with each bite. I originally planned to just "man" up and eat them for the macros, but I just couldn't get through a bar again today. This is my first encounter with a bar so bad I can't even force myself to eat it. :/ I don't want to just throw them away. Any ideas?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I spent $30 on a protein powder I just couldn't stomach. I tried baking with it...still no. Ended up just throwing it away and eating the cost. I couldn't force myself to use it up.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that happened to me. I bought a bunch of boxes of "soy joy" bars on sale, thinking, how bad could they be? I'm not picky at all, and they had fruit and stuff in them.

Worst garbage I've ever had near my face! Tried to get my kids to eat some, and they spit them out. I threw them all away.
  • neldabg
    Options
    I spent $30 on a protein powder I just couldn't stomach. I tried baking with it...still no. Ended up just throwing it away and eating the cost. I couldn't force myself to use it up.
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    Yeah, that happened to me. I bought a bunch of boxes of "soy joy" bars on sale, thinking, how bad could they be? I'm not picky at all, and they had fruit and stuff in them.

Worst garbage I've ever had near my face! Tried to get my kids to eat some, and they spit them out. I threw them all away.

I'll definitely try baking with them. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love organic and healthy protein bars. Loaded with protein and organic ingredients and void of cancer causing artificial ingredients.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Feed them to the birds - watch them get all bulky and hooooooge!

LMAO!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I bring any food I don't like to my work's break room. It's always gone by the end of the day, no matter how repulsive I found it.

Do this!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Food bank gets my vote.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Wing Day.
    internet-users-began-specifically-adding-human-arms-to-bird-photos-back-in-2008.jpg

:laugh:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Have you tried them microwaved or warmed up? That might help. Or break it up into pieces and put it in your greek yogurt...I guess it would still taste bad. Hmm..

Smother them in peanut butter!
  • neldabg
    edited July 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Wing Day.
    internet-users-began-specifically-adding-human-arms-to-bird-photos-back-in-2008.jpg

You two are too much!!! xD
    arditarose wrote: »
    Have you tried them microwaved or warmed up? That might help. Or break it up into pieces and put it in your greek yogurt...I guess it would still taste bad. Hmm..

Smother them in peanut butter!

Darn it. I just finished my greek yogurt. I'll give this a try tomorrow! I actually hate peanut butter. Family confirms that I haven't liked peanuts, peanut butter, and most nuts since I was a baby. Thanks for the idea though!
    Donate to a food bank!
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Food bank gets my vote.

Ah yes! I forgot about food banks. This will be my final choice if the baking, melting, and combination with other food doesn't work. It feels better than just throwing them away.
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I bring any food I don't like to my work's break room. It's always gone by the end of the day, no matter how repulsive I found it.
    If a food bank is highly inconvenient to donate to, I'll do this. Thanks!
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree on the food bank idea- most protein bars are high-calorie and not good to eat if you're trying to lose weight
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My resident mouse decided to eat all of my super expired Clif Builder Bars so I'm pretty sure it's the buffest fluff around! Animals seem to dig them.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There are some things that are so bad that they act as a kind of flavour black hole, and anything you add to them to improve them gets sucked past the event horizon and becomes itself horrible. The whole exercise becomes an irredeemable snowballing waste of food until you do what you should have done in the first place and throw the thrice-cursed thing away. I think you have arrived at that point.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Give them to someone else or jus toss them