LISS walking vs. running

Options
I was raised on running/cardio as King. It has always been my go-to exercise. I have started Kayla Itsine's program and did the walking portion today. Has anyone been able to transition to walking for steady state LISS after being a religious runner and found it beneficial? Any positive experiences?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner but I'm in the LISS camp, especially when weight training. Great way to move/burn some calories, but easier to recover from, which means better weight training sessions.
  • Mountaingirl33
    Mountaingirl33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to notice that! Definitely easier with recovery!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on your fitness goals...LISS walking is going to have a pretty low ceiling in regards to fitness improvements...and actually coming from a running background, you're likely to see an overall decline in your cardiovascular/aerobic fitness...but again, it just depends on what you're wanting to get out of it...for general health, it's perfectly fine.

In the winter when I'm focusing primarily on the weight room I primarily walk just to get in some cardiovascular work...but it does jack for my actual aerobic fitness and I have to work myself back into shape once spring comes and I get on my bike and start training for the season.