Home gym or commercial gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• Piloteer2009
    Piloteer2009 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Home gym. It's always open. No commute. No monthly membership fees.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym -- in my garage -- with about 900 pounds of metal weights, Rogue Monster lite squat stands and several different barbells including a Rogue 2.0 Ohio bar and a homemade Hurricane bar. I love it. I can curl shirtless in the rack if I want.

The only drawback is that my garage is unattached and it is too cold to train in there with our Wisconsin winters so I keep my membership at the Anytime down the street. Occasionally, I go train at other gyms, mostly those that are powerlifting or sport focused. One of my favorite places is to train is at Milwaukee's first and original bodybuilding gym with the bodybuilders. Such a cool old school gym, not uncommon to see Zubuz and mullets.

This week I either hope to go visit the second oldest independent Milwaukee bodybuilding gym, or the one at Turner hall which started before Milwaukee even got it first YMCA and began as a way to fight against European fascism in the 30s.
  • johnnyb620
    johnnyb620 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym and I also go to a commercial gym. They both get the job done. At home I have a squat rack and an oly platform. When I'm programming for strength, I usually use my home gym. It gives me the liberty of dialing in on my numbers and to also work on form and technique. For accessories or bodybuilding type training, I go to a commercial gym. Not only that, I also enjoy going to a commercial gym for the psychological aspects. My gym is alive around noonish. Everybody except their grandmother is there, which gets me motivated.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I go to a commercial gym - it's even a national chain/big box!

I would eventually like a home gym, but right now it's a matter of no room and having to worry about little kids in the way. The gym has all the equipment I need, and more, plus a kid's area where they can have fun and not get underfoot. Plus, there are other lifters there who I can ask to spot me when I'm on my heaviest lifts.

When the older kids have moved out and the youngest ones are older, I may start looking for gently used equipment. I would need, at minimum, a bench, and oly bar, a power rack, and an assortment of plates.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I am blessed to have pretty close to a commercial gym at home. High school buddies own a Life Fitness/Hammer strength distributor so I get set up well with equipment used once or twice and at the cost of home gym equipment.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Home gym. Bought a used Power rack, Olympic bar, flat bench and 500lbs of plates. Add in an elliptical for some cardio and it has everything I need. Love not waiting for the rack at the gym to do squats.
  • lovelygem7
    lovelygem7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do both. I like going to the gym so I can do the classes and be around people who are also into working out. It keeps me motivated. But, I also like to stay home sometimes because it is more convenient and I just feel more comfortable doing certain exercises in my home.
  • LaReineDesPixels
    LaReineDesPixels Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Commercial. I have no room, also once I make it home I won't do anything else. It fits best for me to get it done work and it's nice to be in another place sometimes.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Commercial, it is on my way home from work so convenience isn't an issue. Once I get home from work, I tend to get lazy and lay on the couch or find something else to do.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Both. Nicely equipped gym at home and commercial about a mile away. I like the convenience of home but the atmosphere of getting out of the house as well. The gym keeps track of lifting records so it is a nice motivator to keep going.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Garage gym, but I also go to a powerlifting gym on occasion. Currently I have a Rogue power rack, several oly bars, a trap bar, a curl bar, adjustable dumbbells, a couple of benches, high/low cables, a platform, plenty of oly and standard plates, a couple sets of training plates, an atlas stone, several bands, and various accessories. I'm looking to add a GHD and safety squat bar at the end of this year.
  • IAmThunderHawk
    IAmThunderHawk Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    dwykn3iv6acn.jpg
    Added this to mine this week!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I go to a private gym which basically feels like a home gym since I'm often there by myself...at most a couple other clients will be training. It is not open to the public which is nice.
  • IAmThunderHawk
    IAmThunderHawk Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I go to a private gym which basically feels like a home gym since I'm often there by myself...at most a couple other clients will be training. It is not open to the public which is nice.

Sounds like a nice set up man!