Weight gain?! Help! What happened?

Options
I'm really confused. I started at 139.2 last Saturday. This week, I've been monitoring my calorie intake and I went to the gym 3 times to run and lift. I went over my calorie budget for the week by 18 calories. But I gained 1.6 pounds? I have it set to lose a pound a week, even with eating an extra 18 calories, I should have GAINED 1.6 pounds. What happened?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    1.6lbs? That's a normal fluctuation. My weight can go up as much as 6-8lbs during one day (I know because I've checked). It's most likely water weight from any number of factors (exercise, Time of the Month, ovulation, higher sodium meals, dehydration...).

Unless you ate 5,600 extra calories this week, it's not a "real" gain.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors at play here: First, weight fluctuates. I weighed myself twice this morning (don't ask why) and there was a pound difference. On the day you first weighed in you could have weighed in at anywhere between 138-141. Second, when you add exercise, especially weight lifting, your body retains water for muscle repair, which can show up as a gain on the scale. It's not fat-it's water, and it will decrease. Third, if you are nearing your period or ovulation, you can show an increase on the scale, again due to water retention. Take it easy.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not a gain, just water retention. If you just increased your exercise then your muscles will retain water for repair. As a woman, we retain water for-oh-so-many other reasons, too. As you go, you will start to learn your body. Keep doing what you are doing. The scale just won't cooperate for two or three more weeks.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    Not a gain, just water retention. If you just increased your exercise then your muscles will retain water for repair. As a woman, we retain water for-oh-so-many other reasons, too. As you go, you will start to learn your body. Keep doing what you are doing. The scale just won't cooperate for two or three more weeks.

This.

1.6 is well within normal water fluctuations.

Keep calm and continue on.
  • emily120699
    emily120699 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me! I was 135.8, and then the scale said 137.2 while I had monitored calories. I honestly think water weight, being bloated ect. Plays a large role