Worried about Prometrium

Hi guys,
I'm suppose to start taking Prometrium (Progrogesterone) for 14 days to try and regulate my period. I have been getting my period every 14 days and am constantly fluctuating in weight because of it. However, I have heard that the pill causes weight gain?
Has anyone ever had this experience and lost weight on the pill?
Thanks!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    It may stimulate appetite which would lead to a weight gain if you then ate more.

If you track your calories and make sure that you don't eat more then you shouldn't gain fat. I don't know if it would cause you to retain a bit of extra water or not.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    My experience with prometrium is bloat. As long as you try to control your appetite, the bloat WILL go down.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    It may stimulate appetite which would lead to a weight gain if you then ate more.

If you track your calories and make sure that you don't eat more then you shouldn't gain fat. I don't know if it would cause you to retain a bit of extra water or not.

This

The only way to gain real weight is if you eat more then you burn. It's up to you if you decide to over eat or not .

I took the depo shot for 15 yrs. I lost all my weight and kept it off. Because weight loss-gain comes down to calories
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    True but the bloat is real! I find that I have a hard time controlling my appetite when I'm bloated so it's good to be mindful
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    ydyms wrote: »
    True but the bloat is real! I find that I have a hard time controlling my appetite when I'm bloated so it's good to be mindful

Bloating is real. But controlling your appetite comes from within. Bloating or not, it's up to you if you over eat or not .
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited July 2016
    Give it a few months. But keep in mind that there are many different kinds of birth control pills and that they affect different women in different ways. If you're unhappy with the side effects of one, others may be available to you that will still be effective in period regulation.

/not a woman, but I've listened to every episode of Loveline