Insulin resistance

i had diabetes during pregnancy just wondering if anyone knows about increasing insulin sensitivity. I know diet and excercise help, but I can't seem to find any further info on specifics. For example, should I limit carbs? I currently only eat complex carbs. Looking for resources and info or personal experiences.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Exercise, both cardio and strength, is about the most effective way to increase insulin sensitivity within a short period of time. For the long term, simply losing weight could do wonders if you are overweight. The rest is really minor. Green tea, magnesium and L-Carnitine show some minor improvements, but the bulk of the improvement is really lifestyle.

From personal experience, I was high range pre-diabetic (almost diabetic) and I did not have to do anything special other than lose a lot of weight and increase my activity to bring my average down to normal. I personally did not limit carbs.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    I was pre-diabetic several years ago and took care of it just by losing weight. I don’t restrict my carbs but I do favor fiber-rich carbs because they are so filling.
  • mariclaire87
    mariclaire87 Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you for the replies! I am definitly trying to lose weight because of the diabetes and other reasons. I seem to only have issues with it during pregnancy but having gestational diabetes puts you at higher risk for diabetes overall.