Postpartum and Struggling

I'm about 5 weeks postpartum. Trying to take things slow. Doing only yoga right now and my main focus is changing my diet. I weigh more than I've ever weighed in my life right now. I'm not huge I'm only maybe ten pounds overweight for my height. But I know I'm going down a bad path. And I want to be healthy for myself and my family.

I am a stress eater. And this is my first son. I've been running on coffee and coke. All day. And snacks. Sugar and caffeine is like all I've been eating. I've tried to replace cravings with fruit or eat in moderation but I simply don't have the will power right now. I find myself extra crazy and irritable more when I try to eat healthy and not snack as much. Taking out my stress on my family. And some days i almost feel like it would be better to become overweight than to be a miserable person all the time.

I'm new to this app and could really use some support. Feel free to add me.

Replies

• TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    It is normal to feel emotionally troubled after having a baby. You are sleep deprived, hormone roller coastery, and stressed about doing everything right. Don't feel like you have to do the mom thing perfectly. If you need to set baby down while you take a shower, and baby cries for a few minutes, it's ok. If you just feel like eating sugar, don't be hard on yourself right now. Just concentrate on being healthy. Eat some fruit in addition to whatever snack food you're eating. Drink water along with the coffee. Take a vitamin.

Things will get better with time. You will sleep again someday, promise.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    I agree with TnZMom -- most of us feel out of whack after our babies are born. Five weeks postpartum can be a challenging time. The sleep deprivation has added up, hormones are still all over the map, and you have a whole new life with your baby. I had a heck of a time with my newborns. I thought I'd never feel normal again!

But your hormones will adjust, baby will sleep longer, and you will feel more like yourself again. I wouldn't be doing much dieting until then. Maybe try to get out for a walk with your baby, choose at least some nutritious food that you enjoy, and maybe keep taking your prenatal vitamin.

You probably have a six-week appointment coming up -- be sure to tell your doctor how your'e feeling. She'll be able to give you some good advice.

Hang in there, and congratulations on your new little boy!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Personally, i wouldnt worrk about it right now. 5weeks post partum is prime time to feel like a crazy person (between the sleep deprivation, hormones, etc...).

What i always did the first few months after each baby (I have 4), was to be conscious of my eating. If I wanted something I drank a glass of water, waited 5 minutes, then let myself eat whatever it was, if I still wanted it. About 50% of the time, I didnt eat whatever I was cravinv to begin with.

Good luck and congrats on the new baby!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Careful w yoga if u have diastis recti
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    There's a group fit fabulous postpartum
  • rwalston86
    rwalston86 Posts: 50 Member
    I'm 2 months postpartum. It's a struggle but just do what you can...the craziness of having a newborn won't last forever!!! I do T25 right now bc it's about the best I can do...but Im hoping to get back to my long jogs and lifting. I'll add you!
  • vonnie1985x
    vonnie1985x Posts: 3 Member
    I feel exactly the same. My baby boy is now 9 months and I still have no will power to exercise and eat heathy. I really want to try though as the weight is slowly creeping on. I will add you
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    ladies please remember your body spent 9months growing a tiny human, it took 9months for your body to grow and change and it can take the same time (sometimes longer) to adjust back, its not gonna just happen.

take it easy on yourself, eating well is gonna do you good in general at this time anyway with the lack of sleep
    drink plenty of water, this will help your body flush out the masses of water it held on to during pregnancy (expect lots of random sweating lol) eat sensibly but still allow your self the odd treat so you dont feel like you are completely locked off from the things you want.

put baby in the pram and go for a walk, get fresh air, leaving the hoovering it can wait......whats most important at this time?? definately enjoying your tiny human and resting while your body recouperates from what it has just done.

im 7months pp with baby number 5 and after an awful recovery from an emergancy c section (still having problems with my wound) im now on my second week back tracking properly.

my advise....DONT PUT SO MUCH PREASSURE ON YOURSELF