STRESS STRESS STRESS

So here is the issue.
Week 4 insanity. No inches lost, no weight loss.
I am taking in 1700-1800 calories a day.
I got a massive talking to that I am eating waaay too much. The extras I am eating compared to everyone else is protein shakes/ slimfast/ an extra banana/ bran flake + fruit cereal .
I was also told that I am just wasting my time because if I keep doing this I'll just put weight on and then all the insanity work out will be pointless.

Even if I don't stick t the diet fully, will I still eventually loose some weight if I keep to my calories, or should I think about dropping them? If I did drop them what would happen?

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Rome wasn't built in a day.

You didn't gain your undesirable weight in 4 weeks, you won't lose it all in 4 weeks.

Stay with it.
  • Am I doing the right thing. As I am currently getting blasted for eating and not getitn gresults
  • Getting blasted by who and what are their quallifications?

How much are you supposed to be eating? If you eat less calories than you need you will lose weight.

The fact that you're doing Insanity and have lost nothing inch wise is surprising. I'm slim and I lost an inch on my waste.

Weight loss though.. dont forget though that muscle is denser than fat, so the same sized you will weigh more... which makes me not understand why you are o nweek 4 of Insanity and have lost no weight and no inches. You should be seeing some changes by now. I know I did.

Remember that the people who are "blasting" you are probably as clueless as the majority of us.
  • I haven't seen a single change on week 4.
    I'm supposed to be eating 1800 calories acordign to the elite nutrition guide

I'm pretty flabby with no muscle at all and I'm doing the workouts till I'm dripping
    I'm weighing just under a kg more than before, hardly any change tbh, but no other changes in my physic what so ever, except my hands may look a little slimmer....but they were also slimming down before I started insanity .

Picture wise I look the same and inches around the waist, I haven't even moved a cm!
  • I just measured my waist...it has gone up 5cm...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    it will help more if you open your food diary. you mentioned drinking slim fast why? is your 1800 calories after working out or before? 1 month is not a long time to be at this - give yourself a bit more time a few more weeks
  • I keep a paper food diary.
    I just use the calorie counter to look up different foods, so It's not very accurate.
    I used to use slimfast as a meal replacement for one of my meals as I didn't have any protein shake. However this week I was abel to aquire some to switched over, however it tastes foul, so I use like less than a quater teasppon to improve the taste of the protein shake

I usually have half before workout and half after

Edit: It's just stressful when ppl r saying I'm gettin gbigger because of too many calories and I'm not getting result.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    1700-1800 calories eaten in a day, week 4 of insanity.

What are your stats? Height, current weight.

Who is blasting you?
  • Relatives. Saying I am oer eating and just putting more on than I am exercizing.
    Statswise: 72kg, 157cm and age 25
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    1. You should try using MFP's food logging function for a while. The database has some errors in it for sure, but it has to be more accurate than your paper logging--where are you getting the calorie information for your food?

2. Measure and weigh all of your food. You are almost certainly eating more than you think at the moment.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

3. It is normal to gain some water weight when you are starting a new physical activity. Your muscles use more glycogen when you work them harder, and glycogen attracts water so you get some bloat. I am not at all sure that this is the only thing that's going on in your case, though.

4. Adjust your expectations about the speed of fat loss. You are not very heavy at the moment, so your weight will come off slower. Set your target weight loss goal on MFP to 1 lb at week, and expect to hit some plateaus even with good, thorough logging.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Good luck.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    1. You should try using MFP's food logging function for a while. The database has some errors in it for sure, but it has to be more accurate than your paper logging--where are you getting the calorie information for your food?

2. Measure and weigh all of your food. You are almost certainly eating more than you think at the moment.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

3. It is normal to gain some water weight when you are starting a new physical activity. Your muscles use more glycogen when you work them harder, and glycogen attracts water so you get some bloat. I am not at all sure that this is the only thing that's going on in your case, though.

4. Adjust your expectations about the speed of fat loss. You are not very heavy at the moment, so your weight will come off slower. Set your target weight loss goal on MFP to 1 lb at week, and expect to hit some plateaus even with good, thorough logging.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Good luck.

Absolutely agree 100000% with all of this!!!! My suspicion is you aren't weighing and measuring your food. I also think you are stressing out about this program more than you are putting into it. This is probably your 14th post in 3 week about not losing anything. You've been given solid answers every time. Stress WILL cause your body to do some wonky things. Start pushing your body and shut your mind up.
  • I look up the food calories via MFP then write it down in my diary, that way it's just easier for me to flick through, and I'm a little old fashioned.

I'm thinking of sticking with the elite nutrition guide, although due to not having food stuff available/ super expensive I will have to modify e.g. no flax seed etc.

I didn't set a weight loss target, more of an inches target as I really want to fit into the clothes I could fit into, but the tape measure seems to go up or stay static. I'm not sure if I am bloating as I take folic acid to combat that

I think I get what the article means, in that there are always hidden calories that we don't log. However I don't like sauce >.< I have 100kcal set for snacks everyday, so that that handful of peanuts etc. is logged. I want to start weighing my food, as I usually go by cups and then scale it for MFP or if the calories are on the packet I just use that. I have the phone version so I can sometimes just scan the barcode to save me having to look it up.

Maybe I should look to reduce my calories then see if I am getting hungry. If so maybe I should up them?

Thanks for your post. It's made me think what I should be doing
  • 1. You should try using MFP's food logging function for a while. The database has some errors in it for sure, but it has to be more accurate than your paper logging--where are you getting the calorie information for your food?

Good luck.

Absolutely agree 100000% with all of this!!!! My suspicion is you aren't weighing and measuring your food. I also think you are stressing out about this program more than you are putting into it. This is probably your 14th post in 3 week about not losing anything. You've been given solid answers every time. Stress WILL cause your body to do some wonky things. Start pushing your body and shut your mind up.

and I am trying each time to make a difference. Unfortunalty the pressure being put on me by family and friends to loose the weight before I return to colledge, so that I can study otherwise I will fail my exams, is harrendous and it's not easy to keep the mind at peace when u push yourself everyday
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I look up the food calories via MFP then write it down in my diary, that way it's just easier for me to flick through, and I'm a little old fashioned.

If the only obstacle to logging on MFP is that you want to have easy access to your previous records, here's a tool you might find useful:

http://www.designbyvh.com/myfitnesspal-export-data/#.Udw8rzvI58E

You can use this to export all of your food diary for any time period to a file that you can open in a spreadsheet program.
    I'm thinking of sticking with the elite nutrition guide, although due to not having food stuff available/ super expensive I will have to modify e.g. no flax seed etc.

I don't know what that is, but you might be making things unnecessarily complicated and stressful for yourself. The first thing you need to understand is how much you are eating to begin with, on your regular diet. Logging calories is essential for that. You should then make sure that your diet is nutritious--does it provide you with enough protein, fat, fiber, and vitamins? Substitutions might be a good idea in some cases--include some inexpensive fruit and veggies that you like, and keep your diet varied. As a dieter, you need to get plenty of protein to retain your muscle mass--so you do not end up a shrunken, skinny-fat version of your old self (most people don't want that). Just trying to hit the protein target for the day will make you look for lean protein sources like chicken breasts and fat-free yogurt. It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive, and do not make too many changes at once.
    I didn't set a weight loss target, more of an inches target as I really want to fit into the clothes I could fit into, but the tape measure seems to go up or stay static. I'm not sure if I am bloating as I take folic acid to combat that

It's good that you are more worried about inches than weight, but you do need to know your weight to set the right levels of macronutrients. Have a look at this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Folic acid is important, but I doubt it will help with bloat. Bloating us usually caused by a bad potassium/sodium balance, eating excessive amounts of carbs, or dietary sensitivities/indigestion.
    Maybe I should look to reduce my calories then see if I am getting hungry. If so maybe I should up them?

Why don't you just follow the tried-and-true method of eating at a slight deficit. You should be slightly hungry while dieting, but don't go by hunger alone. This fat loss thing is a fairly well worked out process for most people.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    and I am trying each time to make a difference. Unfortunalty the pressure being put on me by family and friends to loose the weight before I return to colledge, so that I can study otherwise I will fail my exams, is harrendous and it's not easy to keep the mind at peace when u push yourself everyday

Lose weigh because YOU want to and NOT because your family is pressuring you. They can want what they want but ultimately it is up to you to be happy in your own skin. they need to be happy in their own skin. Family can be more hateful than strangers sometimes.

I am willing to bet if you do this for yourself and not because of you family a few things will happen, 1 - you will lose the weight you want to lose, 2 - you will be WAY happier and not second guessing everything, 3 - your stress level will be almost nonexistent.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Family members are sniping at you? They can stuff it.

I have a brother who wants to push me to some competitions that I am frankly not interested in doing. My body is mine and all that.

Well, your body is yours. You don't have a ton to lose, you are getting more fit, you are indeed eating at a deficit. You might cut 100-150 cals a day and see what happens, but seriously, you are improving your health whether the scale says so or not, and you are an adult woman who doesn't need to listen to the pontificating of family members.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Unfortunalty the pressure being put on me by family and friends to loose the weight before I return to colledge, so that I can study otherwise I will fail my exams

you will fail your exams if you are over weight?! WTF!?

for the record, i put on 2lbs over the course of insanity, but i lost inches like crazy.

as others have said, you need to be weighing and measuring EVERYTHING you eat. 1800 shouldnt be too much if it is actually 1800!