Pro Jym

Options
So I purchased a tub of Pro Jym. I have never paid attention to my protein intake but it's very small. I aim to build muscle but can I do that while still in a calorie deflect?

Replies

• Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on your deficit. Generally, if you're in a deficit, you will lose weight. A larger percentage of that weight will come from fat and a smaller percentage from muscle. Some people claim that if you lift weights and eat adequate protein (I've read a lot on this and people suggest anywhere from 40g-150g), but given this, supposedly less weight will be lost from muscle and more from fat, therefore you would supposedly maintain preserve more muscle. It would also be suggested that muscle GAINS (gain in mass) would only be achievable throuhg a calorice surplus. This is suggested to be through lean proteins like chicken breast, etc (although a vegan like me may take supplement powders like yourself) but the calories are the major factor. From what I have read and personal experience, I deduce that muscle can be mostly conserved through a dietary consumption of ~2g protein/lb of bodyweight, but actual mass cannot be gained unless a caloric surplus is achieved over an extensive period of time. Note that sleep, water and nutrition play an important role. Pregnancy is not my expertise. Other illnesses likewise. Consult a GP and join a gym that gives free PT sessions, and see if they can shed light as they have lots of experience. Good luck and all the best on your journey to ultimate health and wellbeing xoxo
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    * edit: I meant 1/2 g protein per pound body weight
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You can only build an appreciable amount of muscle in a caloric surplus. Get down to your goal bodyfat % and then add calories to build muscle.