Anyone else been blind to their own fat?

dykask
dykask Posts: 800 Member
The more fat I lose the more I realize I have to lose. I'm sure there is a hump where I'll feel differently but right now as the fat is disappearing I'm shocked by how much I still have. It is like the fat has been hiding from me. I'm slowly starting to believe the pictures of me that I hated to see.

Sure I knew I needed to lose some weight, I'm just shocked by how much fat I really have. My current BMI is around 28.5. I was above a BMI or 30 for years, maybe decades ... I don't know why it didn't brother me more. Sure I would get down below 30 for a few months, but for some reason I couldn't accept the fact that I was actually obese. Mentally I knew it, but for some reason I didn't really believe it.

While by strict definition I'm no longer obese, I actually feel more fat now than I did for all the years that I didn't really worry about it. Maybe I'm mental or maybe I'm just clearing my perception from a sugar induced fog that I used to live in.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    I think a positive body dysmorphia is more common than one would imagine

I certainly never felt fat..but hated photos
    I made my goal weight my top BMI of 25 ...because I convinced myself that I'm clearly an outlier ...I think we kid ourselves

I lost 55lbs in totals, dropped 5lbs below my max BMI to sit happily a BMI of 24 and BF around 23% and allowed my mind to readjust. I feel happy here, but I felt happy then. I look in the mirror and approve, but TBH I did the same when I was obese. I sometimes wonder if I'm still dysmorphic and seeing better than I am

I think you have to go with it. If your objective markers..BMI, BF, measurements, clothes fit, strength, cardio fitness are all objectively good and you're no longer ducking cameras then I'd imagine you're ok
  • dykask
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Positive body dysmorphia? Do you when you stop ignoring the issues other than just tying to change kings about your body that you really can't?

For me it was just getting a handle on how much visceral fat I had, the kind fat that is really bad for health. I then started working on the fat by just trying to make sure I burned 30g of fat a day. No way to control what fat is burned, but one can burn fat in general. Since fat is has 9kc/g, it takes real effort to burn 30g fat / day.

When I started my overall fat was 25% and my visceral fat was 15%. I didn't believe it at first but have slowly confirmed it with multiple types of measurement estimates and results. 15% of my bodyweight was fat stored around my organs! Now two months later my fat is at 22.5% and visceral fat is 13%. My waist (belly button level) is also 3 cm less, 94.4cm from almost 98 cm. (40" is 101.6 cm) That works out to 38 grams fat / day. (There could be up to 20% errors, but I'm in the ballpark.)

13% of my weight is almost 12kg! (26.4 US pounds). Visceral fat should be less than 5kg to have low health risks.

Probably most women never think of visceral fat unless they are morbidly obese since that is more of a male issue. (pot belly) There is not much I can do to improve my looks, even a lean me will still be pretty ugly, but at least there won't be so much of me. :smiley:

For the record my worst BMI was about 35 and at that point was really the only time I thought I really had a pot bell starting, pictures of me tell a different story. I'm a bit anal about measurements and numbers once I focus on it.
  • Sued0nim
    I'm not sure I understand any of that
  • dykask
    I think I get your point though. Many of us have a false positive image of bodies.

As for the rest, that is what happens when an engineer looks a weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2016
    dykask wrote: »

Positive body dysmorphia? Do you when you stop ignoring the issues other than just tying to change kings about your body that you really can't?

I just didn't understand this cos of autocorrect

For me it was just getting a handle on how much visceral fat I had, the kind fat that is really bad for health. I then started working on the fat by just trying to make sure I burned 30g of fat a day. No way to control what fat is burned, but one can burn fat in general. Since fat is has 9kc/g, it takes real effort to burn 30g fat / day.

how does one burn 30g fat a day?

One can measure weight loss but that is a mixture of fat, lbm and water

...fat from food calories are calculated at 9 cal/g but that =\= it taking 9 calorie burn to 1g body fat

When I started my overall fat was 25% and my visceral fat was 15%. didn't believe it at first but have slowly confirmed it with multiple types of measurement estimates and results. 15% of my bodyweight was fat stored around my organs!

how do you know? Did you have a dexa scan or hydrostatic scan?

Now two months later my fat is at 22.5% and visceral fat is 13%.

have you had another dexa if you had one at start...seriously any other form of measurement has far to wide a margin of error to take these calculations

My waist (belly button level) is also 3 cm less, 94.4cm from almost 98 cm. (40" is 101.6 cm) That works out to 38 grams fat / day. (There could be up to 20% errors, but I'm in the ballpark.)

great progress

13% of my weight is almost 12kg! (26.4 US pounds). Visceral fat should be less than 5kg to have low health risks.

Probably most women never think of visceral fat unless they are morbidly obese since that is more of a male issue. (pot belly) There is not much I can do to improve my looks, even a lean me will still be pretty ugly, but at least there won't be so much of me. :smiley:

I don't think there's so much of a gender bias. And with 40% obesity I think you can agree that lots of women share the visceral fat issue

For the record my worst BMI was about 35 and at that point was really the only time I thought I really had a pot bell starting, pictures of me tell a different story. I'm a bit anal about measurements and numbers once I focus on it.

I'm a data geek...it takes me a lot to not want an accurate and measurable answer but with weight and fat loss you really have to accept near enoughs and good enoughs

I could tell you were an engineer or similar :bigsmile:
  • dykask
    edited July 2016
    Fast? 38 grams/day is only 5 US pounds in two months. I think most people consider that slow.

I'll try to answer the questions, but I don't think my approach would work for most as I like lots of gadgets and measurements. Okay there are several parts here; 1) burning fat, 2) measuring fat and 3) measuring lean muscle mass.

1) Burning fat
    - There is a lot of information on how to do this. Some of it is hand waving like anaerobic exercise burns calories in recovery. However that is really hard to calculate. However I do some HIIT workouts because it helps.
    - 9kc / gram of fat
    - Aerobic activity burns fat after about 20 to 25 minutes. So every morning I've been climbing stairs for about 15 to 20 minutes and then walking 3km to 5km. This gives me about 200 calories when my body has limited glycogen available and is more prone to burn some fat. I don't recommend pushing this because it could result in catabolism of protein too. The goal is just get a head start on burning fat before eating.
    - I've cut refined sugar consumption to 20g. I didn't do this be design, I just started by cutting deserts which had most of my daily sugar and noticed I didn't have hunger. I finally narrowed down that cutting sugar allowed to cut calories without large impact on my hunger. I'm planning to make some changes to go to 10 grams or less a day. This allowed me to easily cut my daily calories down to 2000. Most days I burn from 2500 to 2700 kc. (Cutting refined sugar takes work, basically you can't eat processed food.)
    - After breakfast before lunch I normally do a hard workout 500 kc to 800 kc. A least two days a week I do bodyweight calisthenics so I can gage my strength. That is my main fat burning activity.

2) Measuring Fat (Requires multiple methods to check)
    - I've used multiple methods over a couple of years, but had a lot of problems with repeatability. Generally skinfold or body size measures require a lot of measurements and take time. Skin fold is very difficult to repeat exactly unless I mark myself. However these give a ballpark range for checking. I finally bought a high-end ($$$) bioelectrical impendence scale that uses both hands and feet. Then I made a series of measurements until I could repeat my results. Basically this requires me to make the measurement right after waking up before even drinking. It is possible my numbers are off by a constant, but I'm pretty sure the relative numbers are good. I have a electrical engineering degree so I'm pretty comfortable with this type of tool.
    - It is extremely important that measurement be taken at approximately the same level of hrydration.
    - Skin fold measurement are great for watching progress. However hard workouts can cause fat to shift around some. For example my arms and legs tend to quickly lose fat right under the skin.

3) Muscle mass
    - With bioelectrical impedence you also get a lean muscle percentage. As weight goes down this number should go up and the amount can be calculated.
    - Muscle loss/gain can also be checked by strength exercises. Is strength the lower, same or going up? This is important because not all weight loss is fat.
    - Muscle measuring is another check. I bought automatic tape for that, position it, press the butt to tighten the tape and give a measurement.
    - Finally the gold standard, weight change. Once you have a good estimate of how much fat vs muscle is being lost, calculations can be done. This has to be done over a longer period, daily weight can go up or down a few hundred grams.

Disadvangates of my method:
    1) It is slow - I'm averaging a little more than US pound every two weeks. Most people what to hurry more than me. It is slow because I don't want to lose muscle mass. I could push harder but I would probably lose some muscle mass. I also don't like being too hungry. Slow and steady is better for me. I quit before because I was too hungry.
    2) It uses a lot of gadgets. I like that, it gives me some fun in my otherwise girm existence. For example I use a HR monitor during my workouts. (Fenix 3 HR)
    3) I've spend more than $1000/year on gadgets and equipment like shoes. This isn't a cheap method.
    4) It requires calabration. In fact I'm considering getting a DEXA scan so I can verify and dial in my results better. All methods you can do by one's self have their own sets of errors and issues.

I hope that answers the question. What I haven't done is a really good job of measuring what I'm eating. I'm more concerned about managing my hunger.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    The more fat I lose the more I realize I have to lose. I'm sure there is a hump where I'll feel differently but right now as the fat is disappearing I'm shocked by how much I still have. It is like the fat has been hiding from me. I'm slowly starting to believe the pictures of me that I hated to see.

Sure I knew I needed to lose some weight, I'm just shocked by how much fat I really have. My current BMI is around 28.5. I was above a BMI or 30 for years, maybe decades ... I don't know why it didn't brother me more. Sure I would get down below 30 for a few months, but for some reason I couldn't accept the fact that I was actually obese. Mentally I knew it, but for some reason I didn't really believe it.

While by strict definition I'm no longer obese, I actually feel more fat now than I did for all the years that I didn't really worry about it. Maybe I'm mental or maybe I'm just clearing my perception from a sugar induced fog that I used to live in.

I never looked in mirrors when I was at my heaviest and now as I look at myself more I do notice more flaws. I feel thinner as the current size pants I wear get too big for me, but when I start wearing new clothes that fit I no longer feel thinner. I keep a pair of "fat" gardening jeans around to help with this.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 2016
    I hope that answers the question. What I haven't done is a really good job of measuring what I'm eating. I'm more concerned about managing my hunger.

Focusing on protein and fiber helps me feel fuller on less calories. Fat takes care of itself, lol. To find out how much protein and fiber I'm getting, I use a digital food scale for the vast majority of my meals. I use the calorie budget I get from MFP, and play around with my macros.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I feel the same way. I've gone from a bmi of about 30 to 19 and it's shocking to me to realize just how much fat I was carrying. Last year before I started dieting I felt pretty good about myself and didn't think I looked too bad. A little heavy/curvy maybe....but ok.

My main goal was to fit into a pair of smaller jeans I had pushed to the back of my closet. They always made me feel so thin! Well...I didn't stop at fitting in those jeans this time. They're way too big on me now, and that's when it hit me just how much fat I was carrying. I'm at goal now and still have some fat I'd like to ditch.

For me I think this time around was a real turning point and I've come to truly see what I was doing to my body all those years. I feel confident now that armed with this sobering realization I can keep the weight off for good.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Same story here. When I was at my heaviest (77kg) I knew I was big, or how I preferred to call myself - chubby. I thought that when I reach below 65 I'll look ok and feel great about myself. Well, I'm at 61 now, I still have 6 kg to go and I feel really fat. It's not like I don't see change - I see I'm smaller but I think I just pay more attention to fat bits.
    I think that before I was trying not to pay attention to how I look. I didn't look properly in the mirror and I never looked at myself in underwear or naked. Now I keep analysing and pointing out fat bits to myself. I'm not sure what to do about it except keep losing :(
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member

I made my goal weight my top BMI of 25 ...because I convinced myself that I'm clearly an outlier ...I think we kid ourselves

I lost 55lbs in totals, dropped 5lbs below my max BMI to sit happily a BMI of 24 and BF around 23% and allowed my mind to readjust. I feel happy here, but I felt happy then. I look in the mirror and approve, but TBH I did the same when I was obese. I sometimes wonder if I'm still dysmorphic and seeing better than I am

I think you have to go with it. If your objective markers..BMI, BF, measurements, clothes fit, strength, cardio fitness are all objectively good and you're no longer ducking cameras then I'd imagine you're ok

if that is you in your profile pic you look fantastic, so imo you're not suffering from dysmorphia now lol.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I never looked in mirrors when I was at my heaviest and now as I look at myself more I do notice more flaws. I feel thinner as the current size pants I wear get too big for me, but when I start wearing new clothes that fit I no longer feel thinner. I keep a pair of "fat" gardening jeans around to help with this.

I feel similar. Now that I'm finally healthy and in a good place physically, I'm so much more critical of my body than when I was heavier. Sometimes I feel huge from water retention and have to step on the scale because I feel like I'm back at my original weight and am always surprised that the number is so much lower than I feel. Good idea about fat jeans - will have to dig a pair out of the closet to not lose perspective about where I am at now.
  • Sued0nim
    Thanks @MorganMoreaux I'm doing ok for an old bird, but we all have our off days ;)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I always felt fat. When I was young and running track my goal was always to lose 5-10lb no matter how low my weight got. Now I really do need to lose weight but I worry I will never be satisfied even when I get there.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    When I was at my heaviest, I really didn't think about my body shape or size - I was happy and could easily feel like I looked pretty or felt sexy.... once I began the change to a healthy lifestyle with better eating habits, more exercise and weighing myself- I realized/discovered how fat I was, and no matter what I lost I still felt fat and ugly.
    Maintenance is a constant battle (and while I've never gotten all the way back to my top weight, I am on my way back down from the middle AGAIN) - and I don't think I'll ever be happy with my size or the way I look again.
  • Sued0nim
    Wolfena wrote: »
    When I was at my heaviest, I really didn't think about my body shape or size - I was happy and could easily feel like I looked pretty or felt sexy.... once I began the change to a healthy lifestyle with better eating habits, more exercise and weighing myself- I realized/discovered how fat I was, and no matter what I lost I still felt fat and ugly.
    Maintenance is a constant battle (and while I've never gotten all the way back to my top weight, I am on my way back down from the middle AGAIN) - and I don't think I'll ever be happy with my size or the way I look again.

I have a solution for that

Lift

Brings everything in taut and tight ...makes you feel powerful and confident

Get on a decent progressive resistance programme
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited July 2016

if that is you in your profile pic you look fantastic, so imo you're not suffering from dysmorphia now lol.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Good idea about fat jeans - will have to dig a pair out of the closet to not lose perspective about where I am at now.

I'm holding onto two pair of jeans. The pair I wore at the start of my weight loss, and the pair that were my "goal" that I've shrunk out of. I too need to keep perspective because there are days when I feel really bad about my body despite how far I've come.....

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    When I started losing weight, I thought I would be happy with my body when I lost 25lbs.

I've already lost 75+ and still think I need 10-20more.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    I'm not sure that I was blind too being fat more resigned to 'living' with it and trying to ignore the severity of my obesity.

I topped out at 46.8 BMI OMG and only realized this recently the other day answering a question on the forums. I had no idea it was that bad. Sure I struggled to walk, tie up shoes etc but the amount of denial I must have been in was staggering.

Now at 18.5 BMI I have the opposite problem of still feeling like the 'fat' woman, such is the fickle nature of human perception.

I look back now at the rare photos of me at my heaviest (278 lbs) and have a feeling of such sadness and regret for the time I guess I wasted lumbering around so big, unhealthy and definitely unhappy. Photos of me now at 110 lbs still cause me to inwardly squirm and examine for minute flaws and bulges....but that's my negative body image talking.

@dykask I get what you are saying about the 'ongoing' extent of the fat that you didn't realize you had. Those A'Ha moments of knowing you have farther to go than you initially thought can be quite demoralizing but you seem to have the ever changing transition of weight loss under your belt.

• Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    I def knew I was fight....when people would take pictures of me they would show me...id pretend to look but I would glaze my eyes over so I couldn't see my pic.

Now, after everyone is saying "im wasting away I cannot see that...I almost still look the same despite loosing 3/4 of my total weight loss.
  • dykask
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I've gone from a bmi of about 30 to 19 and it's shocking to me to realize just how much fat I was carrying. Last year before I started dieting I felt pretty good about myself and didn't think I looked too bad. A little heavy/curvy maybe....but ok.

My main goal was to fit into a pair of smaller jeans I had pushed to the back of my closet. They always made me feel so thin! Well...I didn't stop at fitting in those jeans this time. They're way too big on me now, and that's when it hit me just how much fat I was carrying. I'm at goal now and still have some fat I'd like to ditch.

For me I think this time around was a real turning point and I've come to truly see what I was doing to my body all those years. I feel confident now that armed with this sobering realization I can keep the weight off for good.

My jaw hit the floor. 30 to 19 is a *H*U*G*E* change. I hope you are happy and don't need to go further. I'm just wanting to get to 25 or a little less from my current 28.5. I understand being bugged by some fat but it is hard to believe you could have very much.

I'm glad to hear though I'm not the only one that is basically revolted by how much fat I had and still have.