Coffee Creamer?

Options
I have an issue...any suggestions would be helpful.

I like my coffee. I like a lot of coffee - and I like a lot of creamer in it. I hardly paid attention to how much or calories because I am using fat-free creamer. When I whined to my fiance that my weight is going fast enough, he asked me about that.

Yesterday was not a normal day, but I did have 6 cups of coffee, and after measuring see that I put 4 TB of creamer in each at 25 calories a pop. That was 600 calories yesterday in creamer!

So...being that I need more fat (Im under on calories every day and almost nil fat most days) - Im wondering if there is a lower-calorie solution, but with a bit more fat? Or fat free and lower caloreis would be best.

I like my creamer thick and tasty - and use the International Delights Non-Fat Vanilla.

So...any suggestions for a creamer that is tasty, but better in terms of calories?
(and please dont bother with 1% milk, I wont do that. I would skip meals to enjoy my coffee)

thanks!

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Use regular half and half with a splash of real vanilla extract and that with drastically decrease the calories/sugars.
    Or use milk and then 1 teaspoon of half and half with an extract of your choice.
    And by extract I mean extract...not the chemically processed crap. Beware of the chemicals in those flavored creamers (including fake sugar substitues)
  • karlita0408
    karlita0408 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Use sugar free instead of fat free. When you go fat free, it adds tons of sugar for taste. International delight and Coffee Mate both make their flavors in sugar free. I am doing low carb low sugar to loose weight. Sometimes I just use no sugar added soy milk and sugar free Hershey's chocolate syrup in my coffee. Then a little bit of Rhedi Whip on top. It only has 1 gram of sugar in a tblspoon. Good luck. I am sort of picky about my coffee too. No one could ever make a cup for me and get it like I like it.
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use half and half, or heavy cream and sweetener...adding a splash of vanilla here and there or maybe a bit of caramel too. I don't drink as much coffee as you do though, so my cals don't add up. Since I rarely eat to my calorie goal sometimes I'm even 500cals short.... I switched to the heavy cream, that helped boost my calorie intake. I'd also go for sugar-free over fat-free....I'd (me personally) rather skip the extra unneeded carbs and and keep the fat.

Good luck finding something that works for you
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    My wife has a similar problem and she knows it (maybe not 6 cups at 600 cals, but definately loves the hazenut creamer). She wonders what she can do to stop it. I always suggest that she simply starts to cut it down. Start doing 3 TBSP of it, then next week 2 TBSP etc. Eventually, get it down little by little. She's had some success by switching to the full bore version too. Not low sugar or fat, full sugar and fat. She ends up using less of it because of the way it tastes.

One question I'd ask myself, seen as though you seem to like some coffee with your creamer, rather than creamer with your coffee. Is it the coffee you like or the creamer ? Or is it you just feel like you need caffeine and to drink coffee, you need creamer ?
    Perhaps a switch in drink altogether. Maybe a 100 cal coffee in the morning, then change to green or black tea or something that contains caffiene too.

Step 1 of any problem is recognizing and admitting it eh ? Then responsibility for it and action follows no ?
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    these are sugar free flavors for coffee

http://www.davincigourmet.com/coffee_syrup/flavored_coffee_syrup.aspx
    have you tried evaporated milk like carnation? or soy or almond milk. there's a silk soy creamer.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I use 1 TBSP of Fat Free Half and Half per cup, 20 calories.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I use 1 TBSP of Fat Free Half and Half per cup, 20 calories.

fat free half & half seems like an oxymoron. ;)

http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/100/1049/Food.aspx

this is the nutrition label for cream.

now, because you were using something else, it may have been that you would need to use more than if you had used cream. a tablespoon of cream is quite creamy.

if it were me, i would look to find a balance between a "whole food" and the texture i was looking for. I love coffee, too, but I always use cream. Of course, I don't drink as much as you do.

Do notice that the fat free half & half has the same amount of calories as natural, wholesome cream, but the cream also boasts the fat. The fats are good for you in moderation, so this is where you need to determine a happy medium because 6tbs is a half a cup of cream. That's a lot of cream, and probably too much of a good thing.

Let us know what you come up with. It's an interesting question!
  • kimburly
    kimburly Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you so much folks!

Im thinking that the ones saying sugar-free would be a good start (since I can afford the fat) and I will also do the cutting down to 3 TB....and only 3 cups a day. I can do that. I just have to space it out over the day or I get headaches!

cheers!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I lied. 1TBSP of Fat Free half and half is only 10 calories:

Calories 8.9
    Total Fat 0.2 g
    Saturated Fat 0.1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0.8 mg
    Sodium 21.6 mg
    Potassium 30.9 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g

Dietary Fiber 0.0 g

Sugars 0.8 g

Protein 0.4 g
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I lied. 1TBSP of Fat Free half and half is only 10 calories:

Calories 8.9
    Total Fat 0.2 g
    Saturated Fat 0.1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0.8 mg
    Sodium 21.6 mg
    Potassium 30.9 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g

Dietary Fiber 0.0 g

Sugars 0.8 g

Protein 0.4 g

still, it seems icky to me. But i'm a purist :) I'd rather have less of something whole than more of something half way if that makes sense.