Looking for geek friends. :)

Options

Replies

• VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If you like Star Wars, Star Trek, Mass Effect, LOTR or other fantasy things feel free to add me. I'm a vulgar dude who enjoys wearing offensive graphic Tee's, Reddit, funny pictures of cats with captions and I thoroughly enjoy video games ^_^
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I've been thoroughly out-geeked by most in this thread but I do frequently dabble in geekery:

Lolz, I feel the same! Some of the awesome stuff talked about, I don't even know... yet! But, I'm learning.

I'm just super excited right now though... I honestly didn't know our little underground geek world was so not to little and underground, haha.

<3

Everyone is a geek now. It's the cool thing to do. :grumble:
    It's not that it's trendy to be a geek. It's just geeks, nerds, and such have always been the majority, population wise. People just kept it to themselves more unless they were with like minded people of similar interests. It's not that people are suddenly turning that way because they watched Big Bang theory. Reminds me of what people said with will and grace. Since will and grace now its cool to be gay, which was false. It's kinda weird to me seeing this nerd pride as of late, but I find it more refreshing than to the past shunning by bullying
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    lvl 9000 geek checking in. I program robots for a living.
    One more level and you'll be "over 9000!!!!!"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I've been thoroughly out-geeked by most in this thread but I do frequently dabble in geekery:

Lolz, I feel the same! Some of the awesome stuff talked about, I don't even know... yet! But, I'm learning.

I'm just super excited right now though... I honestly didn't know our little underground geek world was so not to little and underground, haha.

<3

It's not that it's trendy to be a geek. It's just geeks, nerds, and such have always been the majority, population wise. People just kept it to themselves more unless they were with like minded people of similar interests. It's not that people are suddenly turning that way because they watched Big Bang theory. Reminds me of what people said with will and grace. Since will and grace now its cool to be gay, which was false. It's kinda weird to me seeing this nerd pride as of late, but I find it more refreshing than to the past shunning by bullying

Meh. I miss the old days when we weren't so trendy. That's just me.
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Meh. I miss the old days when we weren't so trendy. That's just me.

I absolutely love that it's trendy. When things gets popular, more money gets poured into productions, quality and quantity increases, leaving me to vast in all it's magical glory.
  • JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hard. Core. Dork. Right here. Ol' Skool style.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options

<3

Def hate that geek chic thing going now. The same people making me fun of us a few years ago are copying the look... with the tshirts, phone cases, etc. Just because you have a trek shirt doesn't make you a trekky. I blame the movie industry. They ran out of stuff to do and are remastering, rewriting, etc. all the superhero movies and all of a sudden the comic boom industry is booming and everyone knows the difference between the justice league and marvel..... whatever, you can usually tell the difference between a true geek/nerd and a faker. It doesn't bother me toomuch, until "they" start making it all about it. All of a sudden, you're all about princess mononoke or what have you. Yeah, last fad you were a hard core rapper. Now, you're a gamer? Ugh... no. sorry, end rant. hahahaha.
  • Chelsearenee9
    Chelsearenee9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't list all of the games I love. BIOSHOCK. Okay, I'm done now.

I would like a geeky friend, but only if they aren't in it because boys find gamer chicks hot.

Haha. You totally won me over with these two statements. Bioshock is by far my favorite game, followed closely by skyrim. :-p
    I work at GameStop so I see so many girls who come in pretending they're so geeky because they "love" video games...it's quite hilarious.

Sorry for creeping on the thread.
    I'm Chelsea! :-)
  • flabbydabbydoo
    flabbydabbydoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new on here, I'm 30 and have always been classed as a geek even though I don't really see why lol. Okay, I'm into some fairly geeky stuff but in my opinion not enough of it to be a geek, with me I just seem to give off a vibe that attracts fellow geeks, I'm happy enough with that.

I love Pratchett novels more than life itself, I live by them word for word, Tom Holt, Douglas Adams and other than that I read a lot of historical non-fiction, I also love the harry Potter books.

I grew up with a crazy love of Star Wars but as the years have passed then my passion has died as it turned into the farce it is today.

My real obsession though comes in the form of gaming (old school, and modern), I'm only just 30 but have older siblings so I was playing hockey etc on a Telstar (let's be honest, it didn't matter which game you played - they were all the same) as a toddler and by the the age of 5 was a master at Keystone Kapers & Qbert on the beautiful Atari 2600 6 switch woody. By the time I was 7 I'd finally managed to beat Wriggler on the Speccy ZX (a surprisingly hard game if you don't know which route to take - darn spider!), and had just received my first Master System (I was a latecomer to Sega), a Mega Drive closely followed as did a Snes and so it started....

I had a break for a few years when I got married and had kids but my husband and I seperated and so I'm back with it :happy:

I love listening to music and my taste is a little eclectic but at the same time there are very few artists that I bother with - it ranges from Neil Diamond, Leonard Cohen, Johnny Cash to Guns n roses, Black Sabbath and Iron Butterfly, with a very good dash of electronica. Depeche Mode have always been (well, for 16 yrs) and will always be my musical love.

You could say that I don't have that many interests but the ones that I do have are kind of like obsessions, I don't tend to do anything by halves - in every aspect of my life.

That's it, that's me :o)

PS I have to be honest, I DO wear geeky glasses, and up until recently dressed really rather...unusual let's say...BUT I always have done, way before it was acceptable so I think that's okay :tongue:

EDIT - sorry, I have a tendency to waffle but I meant to say please add me if you like (and anyone else is welcome to) as I'd love some friends and support :o)
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a music nerd, of all types :3 I practice at least an hour a day, yes, even in the summer haha. Closer to 2 or 3 hours while competing. In high school I traveled all over the state competing in festivals with a few others from my school.

Now in college I didn't slow down too much. I also sing, love musical theater... although i'm always in the pit orchestra instead of out on stage.
  • SkinnyMarni3
    SkinnyMarni3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not that much into anime etc though i do like some shojo but that´s cause I´m a girl, and I know a great deal about some anime I watched as a kid like dragon ball etc. I used to try to kamehameha lol!
    I am a high fantasy geek, so I adore Tolkien of course, nothing compares to him. I read the books biting my nails and watched the movies with stars in my eyes!
    I´ve played almost every fantasy mmorpg there is. I basically wish I was an elf (good weight loss inspiration uh!). I also love to dress up but I never dared cosplaying cause of all the girl hate and sexism there is :/
    What else, well of course I really enjoy video games, my favorite is Zelda and I hum a lot of tunes from it all the time so my boyfriend who never even played it hums them too now ... I also play league of legends a lot even though I´m not so good, and as a good fantasy fan I read the lores haha
    Well it´s funny I feel like im putting myself down saying all these things as I often get judged on being a geek by my family and friends... But well, you like what you like!
    Geek is kind of a stupid term and I`m not even sure what it means... most of the time I heard it as an insult from people seeing me play games...
  • masi4
    masi4 Posts: 6
    Options
    hahaha! I had my own atari too! I googled it a few weeks ago to show my son what video games were "back in my day" & he just looked at it skeptically! At least with pitfall, I couldn't get lost. . .you go from left to right! :)
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My username is based on my D&D/WoD character. That's about as geeky as it gets.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have posters, pictures, and plushies of Star Wars stuff all over my bedroom, and yes I am 30. I have hot pink SW decals all over my car. I have been a gamer girl since I was little and enjoy killing zombies and other stuff on my Steam games. I am only attracted to geeky awkward guys <3
  • 2Become_Fit
    2Become_Fit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kdrama addict my form of geek ;)

I'm also a Research Scientist I do geek for a living. Feel free to add
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    So I realize by now that your geeky friends list is probably complete but I'm a huge PC gamer (no not WoW, I play GOOD pc games. Hehe.) I watch oldschool anime such as Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy bebop, and the Thundercats. I also own miniature pigs and play roller derby. Um lets see....I was in marching band for 7 years and have played starcraft for 12 years now so along with that, the fact that i'm socially awkward, have a 3.95 GPA, and prefer to have a 12 hour game marathon than go out, I'd say I'm pretty much within the defining limits of geekdom.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    When everyone is a geek, no one is.
  • makenoexcuses
    makenoexcuses Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a proud geek. I'm the type of girl that knows more about certain video games than boys. The type that will stay up all night watching shows like Doctor Who, Torchwood, Star Trek, Twin Peaks, and the X Files. I value the written word and would prefer an actual book over an e-reader any day. I'm into comic books and I have a pretty great collection going for myself. I study psychology and criminology in my spare time. On top of this all, I enjoy dressing up as fictional characters, cosplaying-- for those who aren't familiar with the term. I would just love to geek out with some of my fellow people.

My stats:

Height: 5'6"
    SW: 141
    GW: 117

Feel free to send me a friend request.

tumblr_inline_mq5phdvKmi1qz4rgp.gif
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When everyone is a geek, no one is.
    geek
    /gēk/
    Noun

1. An unfashionable or socially inept person.
    2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek"

Geeks are everywhere embracing the things they love in their own way. It's the era of being proud about what and who you love, are you really surprised so many people are interested in similar things?
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    man i used to be a massive computer games geek (still am, sad i know), especially the real time strategy games like Civilisations and Age of Empires. it all started with Dune on the old Windows 95, then onto Command & Conquer, then Age of Empires then Civilisations. With a good old helping of Championship Manager (Soccer Management game). i still play computer games now, just not as much, i like MLB Road to the Show atm on the PS3, i think its the most challenging sports sim out there.