OMG sodium

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
I'm appalled at the amount of sodium I seem to be consuming. I had no idea how much there was in the simplest things, especially bread etc.

How do you reduce the salt, especially when you already aren't adding any?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    First off, double-check as you're logging - a LOT of entries have errors in them. Make sure the nutrition info for the entry you pick matches the package in your hand. Even if you're scanning an item, there could still be an error.

Secondly, cut back on the packaged/convenience food. Also, look at your diary and see what's highest in sodium there. If you can batch cook and freeze portions, rather than buying frozen meals, that will cut down on your sodium intake. If you're buying cans of soup, look for low or reduced sodium ones.

~Lyssa
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    More whole foods, less processed foods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Well, humans need some salt, so if you don't have medical problems salt is a good thing. I often get way more than the recommendation, I'm still here.

The best way to cut it down is to not eat things that come in cans or pre-made meals. Chips, crackers, processed meats - all have a lot. I think just pay attention to your Food Diary and you'll learn.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Please note that salt and sodium are NOT the same. 1g salt=400mg sodium. The measures in MFP are sodium, but nutritional info on a lot of packaging gives the weight of salt.
    There are 1000mg in a gramme.
    Salt will make your body store more water, so you'll weigh more.
    Hope that helps?
    PS Best way to wean yourself off salt:
    1. Buy sea or rock salt - it gives a saltier flavour and doesn't flow out of the spoon quite so easily.
    2.Never add salt while cooking, but add a little at the table (ground with your fingers) AFTER you've tasted it.
    3. Consider garlic, pepper, chilli, ginger as an alternative condiment.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's a shock, isn't it. I was floored when I started watching my sodium. I try to stay between 1500 and 2300 mg of sodium now but looking back to my first diary entries...I could rack up 3500-4000 mg without any trouble.
    First rule, limit packaged (boxed, canned or frozen) stuff. Second, get into the habit of reading lables as you shop. For example, spaghetti sauce in a jar can vary from 350-600 mg sodium per serving. I found one that is on te lower end that my family likes and I've made that my go-to. Oh, if you're a soda drinker...read the lables. My beloved diet A&W rootbeer has 130 mg sodium so, now it is a once in a while treat rather than 2-3 cans per day. And last, everything will taste bland for a few weeks but, your taste buds will adjust and you won't notice it after a bit.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This thread is a good read.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10407724/salt-yes-or-no#latest

Be aware that, in addition to needing sodium, we also need iodine which is why it's often added to table salt. If you are using sea salt or other un-iodized salts, make sure you are getting your iodine from an alternate source.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Please note that salt and sodium are NOT the same. 1g salt=400mg sodium. The measures in MFP are sodium, but nutritional info on a lot of packaging gives the weight of salt.
    There are 1000mg in a gramme.
    Salt will make your body store more water, so you'll weigh more.
    Hope that helps?
    PS Best way to wean yourself off salt:
    1. Buy sea or rock salt - it gives a saltier flavour and doesn't flow out of the spoon quite so easily.
    2.Never add salt while cooking, but add a little at the table (ground with your fingers) AFTER you've tasted it.

3. Consider garlic, pepper, chilli, ginger as an alternative condiment.

Can you explain how to wean off salt by using salt?

OP, if you're bothered by the sodium you're consuming, start checking the packages of the foods you're eating. You can get low-sodium versions of a lot of foods. As someone who has to eat lower sodium, it's a PITA and not something I suggest for someone who doesn't need it (medical issues like HBP).
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Reading labels is the best way to know what you are eating. There are many low sodium items out there.

As others have said, processed foods are full of sodium. Frozen entrees, cured meats, many cheeses, canned goods.

I had to go on a low sodium diet. I did not add salt, but sure did have my eyes opened on which foods I needed to either cut, or reduce.
  • optfitness
    optfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's how I felt when I first started tracking my foods. Cutting out processed foods helped drastically. I stay around 2300.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    This thread is a good read.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10407724/salt-yes-or-no#latest

Be aware that, in addition to needing sodium, we also need iodine which is why it's often added to table salt. If you are using sea salt or other un-iodized salts, make sure you are getting your iodine from an alternate source.

Pretty much this. So much "grrrr, salt is teh debil" goes around, that people seem to forget that you actually need it in proper quantities, assuming you don't want to accidentally off yourself. I find it especially goofy when I see people pushing stuff like "drink a gallon of water", and then talking about reducing sodium at the same time. I would hope some would realize that this is a good way to make themselves sick as hell.
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love lunch meat, but it's got a lot of sodium. I'm starting to try choosing other brands than the one I used to get. It's challenging, cuz I keep wanting a certain flavor... and "honey smoked turkey breast" doesn't seem to have a low sodium option!

I have heart failure, and retain fluid easily. My feet don't swell, it goes straight to my lungs. If there's a day I go over 1800mg sodium, I have to take diuretic the next day or I can't breathe very good the next few nights.