"Sugar" in Fruit

Does anyone disregard going over their sugar when it primarily comes from fruit?
I think it is somewhat bogus on here about fruit sugar content. I believe the only sugar we should truly be concerned about is refined or in processed foods. So on my logs I am usually "over" my sugar by 30 or so grams, with my max set to 50. I do not consume more than 20 grams of refined sugar or sugar that is in processed food in a day. I have maintained a 20% BMI, which for women is considered prime.
What do you all think?

PS. my weight is higher now because I am 29 weeks pregnant with our second.

Replies

• cbusxtina
    cbusxtina Posts: 3 Member
    I am so glad that you posted this. I am constantly going over my sugar allotment because of fructuose. I am wondering if this will hinder my weight loss.
  • psharma06
    psharma06 Posts: 93 Member
    I always go over my sugar level as I eat fruits...
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    The issue isn't a difference in the sugars. It's that the sugar in whole fruit lies within a matrix of fiber and nutrients so that the digestive system has to work harder at extracting it. That leads to less of a blood-sugar spike than in most sweetened foods. Plus your getting all the other good stuff. If you're "drinking" your fruit via juice, that advantage disappears. This is one of the key reasons why whole foods--steel-cut oats instead of instant oatmeal, for example--is a better weight-loss choice.

That said, eating too much is eating too much. People can gain weight on fruit, and if you are trying to keep your carbs to a certain level, the sugar in fruits counts toward that. If you go a little over on fruit, that seems like a pretty healthy way to go above your established calorie or carb count,
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    I don't worry about natural sugars. Excess calories put on weight, not sugar.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Excellent question!! I always wonder the same thing!!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    I've had 3 days in the last 90 where my sugar intake didn't exceed MFP's line of arbitrary sugar number. I didn't think I'd have any. So it goes.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Feel free to ignore it. The recommendation is for added sugar, but MFP does not distinguish between natural and added sugar, so it's pretty much useless unless you need to track it for a medical condition.

searchfirst.gif
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    If I go over on natural sugar and not refined sugars, I consider it a good day although I'm mindful of how many I eat and try to snack on vegetables when possible.
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    And congrats on the pregnancy!
  • miklos001
    miklos001 Posts: 5
    I seem to go over in Sugar and Sodium...YIKES! Although fruit is yummy it is high in sugar (especially mangos). However, it is also packed with fiber so don't fret too much over it.
  • miklos001
    miklos001 Posts: 5
    Yes...congratulations on your 2nd little baby.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I always go over as well but if you look at my diary you will see it's fruit too but...yes a but

I stay away from certian fruit like watermelon, pineapple and bananas (unless they are frozen in a smoothie) not that it matters to their sugar content.

oh and the other thing is I use sugar in my coffee (gotta get some organic brown) but I did try a sweetener using stevia bleck...
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    I'm over my limit for sugar on a daily basis; usually because of fruit.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    I eat a ton of fruit. I love fruit and it makes me feel great. It has not hindered my weightloss. I never pay attention to how much sugar I eat because the majority of it is coming from fruit and some honey. Unless you are diabetic you don't need to watch it that closely. It is a great source of energy and vitamins.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Unless you've got a medical condition there's no need to track sugar as it's a subset of carbs. Just make sure your carbs are in check and you'll be fine.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Unless you've got a medical condition there's no need to track sugar as it's a subset of carbs. Just make sure your carbs are in check and you'll be fine.

/Thread.
  • thank you so much :D
  • For anyone who was wondering about it hindering weight loss it definitely does not.
    When I was pregnant with our first daughter I got up to 184 lbs with a previous weight of 128 at 5'7". After giving birth I weighed roughly 166 lbs. In the course of 5-6 months I lost every lb without logging or anything. I ate a lot of fruit. I have been a fruit monger since childhood.
    I have also noticed that there is more nutritional value in most fruits than there are in leafy greens (though kale is awesome). So for that, eating more fruits, berries especially, than veggies is great as long as you don't completely skip veggies.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    I eat NO added sugar and NO added salt, and. I'm over my sugar column limit by 10 (grams?) every day. I'm also "charged" for sugar in my salad greens, white balsamic vinegar, and nuts.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    I always go over on sugar when I eat fruits. It hasn't hindered my weight loss so far.