What is a healthy weight to aim for?

Options
I am currently 215lbs and am 5'5" and am 19 years old. I am aiming to get down to anywhere between 115-120lbs. I am fine boned if that helps. I was told that a healthy weight for me is between 108-140lbs. So am I aiming too low?

Replies

• blessedmomof3girls
    blessedmomof3girls Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    5'5
    I'm aiming for 120-125! Small framed build (although you can't tell by the looks of me lol)
  • pattya925
    pattya925 Posts: 398
    Options
    Why don't you focus on your health for right now? Increase your activity, watch your eats and make healthy choices. The weight will start to come off and as you get smaller, you may find that its easier for you to find an appropriate goal weight. It is tough sometimes to know. I always thought I should be 125-130 pounds, but once I hit 135 or so, I look sickly.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am aiming for a weight that is four pounds under the high end of my "healthy" range. I'm going to see how I feel when I get there and decide if I need to maintain or lose more. If you know you have a small frame, then I don't think having a goal in the low end of your healthy range is bad if you are comfortable with that.
  • blessedmomof3girls
    blessedmomof3girls Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also wondering if 120-125 is bad for a 5'5 frame. Although that's what I used to be (2 kids ago, about 4 yrs ago). I'm 31 now. It's my goal though! I've got my eyes on the goal!
  • MadeOfFire93
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I have started to cut out soda, fast food, and high sugar content foods. I only drink water and crystal light with an occasional tea here and there. I am for now just wanting to get where my hips don't hurt anymore as my Dr says that where I'm 90-100lbs overweight I am crushing my hips with the extra weight. I am going to start riding my bike and walking for now. :-)
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", small-med framed, and heading toward 125 first, then 120. 115 feels kind of low (I was 116 in high school, and squishy-skinny... wasn't adorable), so 118 is the lowest that I will personally strive for if 120 isn't quite firm enough. It really depends on your frame how well you'll wear it. :flowerforyou:
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    youre aiming a bit too low, that wouldnt really be a healthy weight for your height, 135 should probably be the lowest amount you should weigh i think
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and am aiming for 155ish which is at the high end of healthy for my height. It's a long term goal though so I'll assess as I get closer. If I get there and feel like it's not right for me I can always go up or down. It's a start point.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Journey not a destination applies in this quest. Think more about how you would like to look and feel than how much you will like to weigh. 108 can look like 140 or the opposite can be true depending on the NSV's such as inches here and there. My spouse is 5"7 and 125 on average so if you would like a number seems that the middle of that range is attainable. In my own case I weigh about what I did in my early 20's and have a suit that I bought then that still fits. It was a fun goal to try and get there. Since you don't have that long history reference maybe go for a point in time in the past when you felt great and go for that, 16 yrs, don't know. Good luck in your journey. Pick a number like <200 and start with that, then 180 and so on, and have fun!