What are some good "butt" exercises?

Any advice would be nice :)

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Look into Strong Curves (it's a glute based program). I do recommend reading the book, but you can find the templates online.
  • Michellekirstybella
    Michellekirstybella Posts: 1 Member
    Squats, squats, squats
  • izzisaurus
    izzisaurus Posts: 3 Member
    Squats and lunges!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Why is "butt" in quotes?
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    Hip thrusts & I second the recommendation of checking out strong curves!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    As others have said - squats, lunges, barbell hip thrusts are great but, IMHO focusing on one area only is a mistake. It's much better to have a program which works the whole body and incorporates a range of movements and exercise types.

Better for health and (arguably, since aesthetics are a personal thing) better for aesthetics.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2016
    One of the biggest series of published EMG data by a group out of Hamburg, Germany, found that that the lying hamstring curl with your thighs elevated and a forced contraction of the glutes activate the glutes best. That's not exactly a common exercise, so here I'd go with the second best: the hip machine. It's basically simulating the stride you'd make as a sprinter (which can be done standing or on all fours). As you reach an extended position, you'll recruit the glutes. Really focus on squeezing the glutes, and don't just speed through the reps.
  • One of the biggest series of published EMG data by a group out of Hamburg, Germany, found that that the lying hamstring curl with your thighs elevated and a forced contraction of the glutes activate the glutes best. That's not exactly a common exercise, so here I'd go with the second best: the hip machine. It's basically simulating the stride you'd make as a sprinter (which can be done standing or on all fours). As you reach an extended position, you'll recruit the glutes. Really focus on squeezing the glutes, and don't just speed through the reps.

Muscle activity is only one piece of the puzzle. I could sit here all day and squeeze my glute, but I wouldn't see any improvement in size or strength. Metabolic and mechanical stress are also important.

Squat, deadlift, and hip bridge are my top 3 exercises.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Progressively weighted squats, deadlift, lunges, step-ups, hip thrusts
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Sex (just saying)