Hi everyone!

Options
I don't need to lose that much weight - although according to my BMI I do, at least last I checked. Right now, I am 5'4" and 155 pounds, but I've also always been pretty muscular. I play water polo during the school year - 2 nights of practice a week plus a 2-3 hour workout on Saturdays. This helped me get in shape some the past semester, but it really didn't make me look any different. I know it's because of the cafeteria food which is neither very appetizing nor healthy. I used to swim 4 hours a day and wear size 3 jeans and eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I put on a ton of weight the first year that I stopped doing that as I attended a residential high school, and by then I was up to size 7-9 jeans. A year later, something still wasn't working because I was a solid 9, and a year after that I was a size 11. I have maintained that size for a few years, but I'd like to go back down. Maybe I won't ever reach the size 3 from swimming 4 hours a day that I used to have, but if I could get down to a 5 or 7 and properly maintain it, that would satisfy me. I've been trying to work out and since school ended for the summer, I've been trying to better my eating - but it's hard without my family really supporting me that much...at least the person who does the cooking anyway. So I'm starting to count my calories. I'm doing the best that I can for some of the meals I have, but I think that competing with this counter that tells me how many calories I'm allowed in a day to continue losing weight will really help me. I guess we'll find out!

Replies

• krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't need to lose that much weight - although according to my BMI I do, at least last I checked. Right now, I am 5'4" and 155 pounds, but I've also always been pretty muscular. I play water polo during the school year - 2 nights of practice a week plus a 2-3 hour workout on Saturdays. This helped me get in shape some the past semester, but it really didn't make me look any different. I know it's because of the cafeteria food which is neither very appetizing nor healthy. I used to swim 4 hours a day and wear size 3 jeans and eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I put on a ton of weight the first year that I stopped doing that as I attended a residential high school, and by then I was up to size 7-9 jeans. A year later, something still wasn't working because I was a solid 9, and a year after that I was a size 11. I have maintained that size for a few years, but I'd like to go back down. Maybe I won't ever reach the size 3 from swimming 4 hours a day that I used to have, but if I could get down to a 5 or 7 and properly maintain it, that would satisfy me. I've been trying to work out and since school ended for the summer, I've been trying to better my eating - but it's hard without my family really supporting me that much...at least the person who does the cooking anyway. So I'm starting to count my calories. I'm doing the best that I can for some of the meals I have, but I think that competing with this counter that tells me how many calories I'm allowed in a day to continue losing weight will really help me. I guess we'll find out!

Hey there! Welcome! I joined pretty recently too but i'm really enjoying myself. I was a competitive swimmer here in Ireland until about a year ago. I've put on about 60lbs since I stopped swimming. I've decided to give open water 10k and 5k a go since I've always wanted to so I need to get back into shape! You can add me as a friend if you like. That would be cool :) We seem to have similar experiences! Training 4hrs per day and the like! Don't worry about not getting support at home. If you believe in yourself that's all you need :) Plus you'll find lots of support from the lovely people on this site so not to worry! Good luck with the weight loss! I know you can do it! :)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Good luck to you!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Like you, my goal weight may look high on paper, but I seem to be a pretty solid person. Both my PCP and OBG have told me I wear my weight well, meaning I don't look as heavy as the scale reports. I do need to trim down though :blushing: ... I try not to bank on the scale number too much, and think more about how my clothes fit and stuff like that. It's tough sometimes though ... society programs us to worry about that number.

Your youth and fitness level will work to your advantage - keep at it and you'll do great :smile: And hang out here and you'll get all the support you can stand. :laugh: