Cardio and weight training.

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    While doing that kind of cardio can sorta/kinda help you maintain muscle mass if you have a lower amount to begin with (how's that for covering all bases), it's NOT a substitute for resistance training. There are a number of different ways that you can do resistance training, but, for the most part, cardio is cardio and strength training is strength training. In fact, you could make the case that it is easier to maintain basic cardio conditioning by modifying some strength workouts that it is to maintain strength by doing cardio.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I would add more range of motion for everyday function. I'm thinking squatting, reaching and side-to-side movements. This can help with agility and balance as you age.

I also would run a strength training program for at least six weeks. The power you gain transfers to everyday life as well. This basic training can give you better insight on how to proceed.

Form follows function.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    I'm confused then - do you want to build muscle or maintain muscle, gain weight or maintain weight?

Sorry for the confusion :(
    I just want to maintain my muscle and boost my metabolism

Your metabolism is related to your muscle mass. More muscle = higher metabolism. Same muscle = same metabolism*

So, if you want to boost metabolism you will need to build muscle. If you want to maintain metabolism, then you don't need to worry about gaining muscle.

*This is a little bit of a simplification. There are many other factors that affect metabolism but with respect to what you are asking I think the simplification is valid.

Thank you so much for yout help :) do you have to be in a calorie deficit to build muscle ?

Just eat maintenance and lift. It would be beneficial to look at one of the many established lifting programs out there...programming your own workout takes a lot of knowledge and will often result in muscular imbalances (under training some muscles and groups and overtraining others).

Doing the above is called "recomp"...your body composition will change over time...you will put on some muscle (not a lot) and lose some fat at the same time.

Do cardio for your cardiovascular health and fitness...do resistance training (comes in many forms) to maintain/build muscle mass. This will also increase bone density which is beneficial for many women as it combats osteoporosis.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I'm going to add that if you're concerned about your "pear shape," you'll be more successful doing upper body lifts than lower body for cardio AND strength. Start with bodyweight exercises if you're not comfortable with weights, but do some push-ups, some dips, ropes, maybe some TRX exercises. It's all about balance.

Otherwise, consider your priorities and make sure your goals are reasonable. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like in order to get where we want to go. Whether it's doing cardio to increase heart health (that's me... I hate cardio) or working overtime to pay for a vacation, if the end result isn't worth putting in the extra time and effort, the goal itself may need to change.

Sorry. Just realized I replied to the wrong post. Too much going on in my brain. Lol
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I did the exact same thing in this exact same thread earlier....wierd