Does anybody else watch weight loss shows for motivation?

Options
I am obsessed with weight loss shows!!! I have watched all 17 seasons of the biggest lose US, On my 3rd season of the Australian version, watching my 600lb life and extreme weight loss. ALL WHILE I'M CYCLING OR WALKING ON THE TREADMILL. I guess I've put in quite a few miles!!!! They always give me the motivation I need. What do you think? Anyone else doing the same?

Replies

• ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Every single day!
    I also watch Hoarders or Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners while I'm doing chores
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    smarieb306 wrote: »
    Every single day!
    Hey, anything that gets us moving, right
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I watch them but not really for motivation, I enjoy seeing the before and afters but it just amazes me how they torture themselves to get there... I see it more like "HOW OR WHY do they do that to themselves??" and think how difficult it will be for them to maintain it when they're done
  • greatatboats
    greatatboats Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been watching a lot of BBC shows lately, like Supersize vs Superskinny, Secret Eaters, Fat Doctor (which is like my 600lb life), and Fat Family. It sounds horrible, but part of why I watch them is to feel thus sense of relief that I'm nowhere near that bad.

(Also I crack up at Supersize vs Superskinny, when they go, "She's been eating 1500 calories a day - that's an under-eat of almost two days of food every week!" while sounding horrified.)
  • lilligraz22
    Options
    Some of these shoes I've never heard of but will definitely look for them. What gets me going is the thought IF THEY CAN DO IT, SO CAN I.
    I don't know why I relate to them so much since I only have 20lbs to lose while these people need to shed hundreds of pounds.
  • saralizz123
    saralizz123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I watch Extreme Weight Loss where they lose a lot of weight in a year. I am totally addicted to it!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options

smarieb306 wrote: »
    Every single day!

This is me!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love Extreme Weight Loss. If you have Netflix, check out Pumping Iron, Generation Iron, and Fittest on Earth. :)
  • befit68
    befit68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Nope, I try to stay off of the couch in front of a TV. (Makes me want to put something in my pie-hole) I just come here to the threads for motivation instead
  • lilligraz22
    Options
    I get it absolutely. .. I have watched all of these WHILE either on my stationary bike or on the treadmill. Doing exercise to music does nothing for me. These keep me going.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I get my motivation reading the success stories here. Those tv shows disgust me. No, it's not the fat people, rather, it's the excessive commercial appeals to vicariously purchase happiness.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I also like Stong and American Grit. They're off season right now, but you can find them online.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think it's one of the worst things you could possibly do...considering they really don't have basis in reality. People watch this "reality" t.v. and think they should be losing so fast or whatever...but don't know that behind the scenes it's rigged (i.e. a week isn't a week) and they also do all manner of unhealthy things on these shows. There's been plenty of past contestants on the Biggest Loser to come out about what actually goes on.
  • avingers
    avingers Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I watch weight loss shows while eating, tee hee :)
  • shaunaruiz
    shaunaruiz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I mostly read weight loss books which is the nerdy version of watching weight loss shows I guess. Lol, I have read enough to confuse the heck out of me. When you read a Paleo book like 'It starts with food' a meat and plant based diet eliminating grains, dairy and beans and then read 'skinny b*"'ch' a book based on veganism it gets your head spinning. Because of this my favorite show has been 'My diet is better than yours' it's on Hulu.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I don't really watch much TV beyond the odd scifi show, or anime. I actually don't have a TV that actually gets TV stations, it's just used for games and movies.

I used to work out to Babylon 5 eps, but finished the series again, so moved to Farscape now.
  • lilligraz22
    Options
    shaunaruiz wrote: »
    I mostly read weight loss books which is the nerdy version of watching weight loss shows I guess. Lol, I have read enough to confuse the heck out of me. When you read a Paleo book like 'It starts with food' a meat and plant based diet eliminating grains, dairy and beans and then read 'skinny b*"'ch' a book based on veganism it gets your head spinning. Because of this my favorite show has been 'My diet is better than yours' it's on Hulu.

Yeah,there are so many different theories in weight loss. ..it can get overwhelming. After years of research into them and trying out this and that, it does just come down to eating clean,watching calorie intake and regular exercise.