Rocky road into maintenance

Hi everyone! Soon I will be joining you here. I am having a hard time as I approach my goal. I seem to be fluctuating between loss and also justifying bad eating without logging. I am recommitting to entering maintenance in a steady fashion. My goal is 110, and I want to stop losing at 108 and maintain there. My range is 108- 112. I'm 5'1". I'm worried that after a long deficit I will eat way too much. Three times last month I gained 5 lbs after eating in my old habits. I'm getting myself on a roller coaster here. Any advice or tips? I need to do better entering maintenance. I have about 3 lbs to go, and I keep losing and regaining it. Thanks!

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    I am where you are right now. I cannot seem to lose those last 5 pounds without sabotaging myself. I have decided to change my goal to 160-165 pounds, instead of 155-160 pounds. If I lose the extra few pounds, then great, but I am not stressing about it. I am enjoying the weight I am right now at 163. I am able to eat the foods I enjoy and maintain the weight. June, I basically stayed at 163 pounds.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    If you are seeing changes of 5 pounds within a short window, like a four week period, this is most likely due to normal body weight fluctuations due to water retention and release. Don't let those things get you down. Californiagirl has some good points as well.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Wow thank you everyone so much for the informative and fast replies! I am so grateful for all the knowledgable support!
  • leahkathleen13
    Honey butter pecan waffle cone with sprinkles actually!! Hahahah
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    me too, I have been into rocky road ice cream,maintenance is harder, have to be cautious all the time.You can tell where your mind is, mine is always on food, that hasn't left me.
  • leahkathleen13
    New fitness goals, realizing that I still need to accurately log and follow my plans, and accepting this long term are a great start! As I reach my goal again I will eat maintenance a few days per week and slight deficit a few. These ideas are so helpful! Thanks everyone! I will slow down and not restrict too much, so far that has only led to frustrations. I'll strive for consistency!
  • leahkathleen13
    My downfall is family visits. I'm Italian and my family celebrates with special foods. It's so difficult for me to stay on track and one weekend does some real damage. This will be a big challenge but an important one to me maintaining. Unfortunately I have an all or nothing mentality and this needs to be addressed.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    It's so difficult for me to stay on track and one weekend does some real damage.

Not unless you go seriously over board. The weight gain you might see after a weekend with a lot of food is 99% water and excess waste in your digestive system, this can easily be a few pounds but it is no reason to worry. You will lose it again quickly if you go back to your normal eating. If you stick to your plan most of the time you have nothing to worry about for the long term.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yeah I agree that anytime you gained 5 pounds during those times you mentioned it was water, etc.., I am sure that you did not over eat by 3500+ calories over maintenance each time to gain real fat..

I agree with @kirsten13. Even adding additional calories to a deficit will ensure some sort of weight (water) gain on the scale.. More food in the gut, more waste in your colon, water from additional salt and carbs and if there is hyrdration or lack there of will always show on the scale...

OP you should try to mark trends in your weight due to day to day fluctuations that even include time of the month.. The scale will play havoc for everyone especially those in maintenance if you rely on the scale every day as your true cursor to your weight.. A weight range (daily) is a good idea to adhere to..
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Oh, la. really glad to find this thread! I am/was/am five pounds away from my goal and it is really challenging. Been sitting at, or just above or under the same weight for three weeks - longest 'plateau' yet! Grrr.

I am going to keep at a deficit until the 27th when I go on holidays and then I am going to try maintenance during the holidays and see how it goes.

During the holidays I am tentatively planning to try to keep a very strict eye on breakfast and Lunch and then can relax and enjoy the extra maintenance calories during supper. I have a very active holiday planned so that should help.
  • leahkathleen13
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and helpful replies! The support is incredible!