Exercise with Baby?

Options
I have a 7 month old daughter and I'd love some tips about exercises I can do with her! How do you all exercise with your babies?

Replies

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Frankly I don't...I either work out before kids are awake, while baby naps, or take them to the gym child care. I know there are stroller fit classes and mom/baby yoga, but that wasn't for me. When my kids are crawling/walking I just can't supervise them and work out bc they are escaping or trying to grab my hair/claw my eyes/etc.
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Frankly I don't...I either work out before kids are awake, while baby naps, or take them to the gym child care. I know there are stroller fit classes and mom/baby yoga, but that wasn't for me. When my kids are crawling/walking I just can't supervise them and work out bc they are escaping or trying to grab my hair/claw my eyes/etc.

Right now I work out when my daughter is sleeping, but that cuts into my sleep time. It's tough bc I'm gone from 645 to 630 working/commuting. I want to find a workout that also lets me play and bond with my daughter during the few hours I see her!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I walk, hike or bike with him in the stroller/carrier/bike seat. I lift weights while he's asleep
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When my kids were babies I loved my jogging stroller. When I had my 2nd child we got a double jogging stroller. It was nice for everyone to get out and enjoy the fresh air.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 month old daughter and I'd love some tips about exercises I can do with her! How do you all exercise with your babies?

She's a baby. She's not ready to exercise yet. She can't even walk! What's the rush? Is the baby getting fat or something? You should find someone to exercise with that's closer to your age and ability.
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

She's a baby. She's not ready to exercise yet. She can't even walk! What's the rush? Is the baby getting fat or something? You should find someone to exercise with that's closer to your age and ability.

HAHA! No, I want to incorporate my daughter into MY workout.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    as has been said here before jogging stroller.
    I usually get up at 430 am to get my workout in before the family wakes up. As a venefit to this at 9pm Im tired enough to go to bed about an hour after my daughter.
    My daughter is 13 months old and my son is 6 I sometimes walk or jog along with him as he rides his bike and my daughter absolutely loves to ride in the stroller at any speed. She particularly loves to munch on goldfish crackers as her crazy father huffs and puffs along behind her.

Also get down on the floor and play with the baby it might not be a structured workout with major calories burned but they think pushups and stretches are funny. The more noise and stupid faces you make the better.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was little, I loved the Babywearing Workout. You just need a supportive carrier, and you can exercise while wearing her. It both adds a little extra weight, and for many babies it puts them right to sleep! Also look on Facebook to see if Kelli's doing a challenge group. I won a cute little teething necklace and a really great BabyHawk carrier from her giveaways.

The only drawback is that Kelli (the lady who created this workout) is really into nonsense woo crap that she sells, like Juice Plus and apparently now essential oils? But it's not part of the actual workout video, and it's easy to ignore. The ONLY thing I ever bought from her was the workout video ($10).

Another great option is to just go for a walk while wearing your baby or pushing her in a stroller. I still do this with my 2yo, and the whole time she's telling me about everything she sees on our walks.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Run with a jogger stroller.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Put her in a back carrier and walk daily
  • beliaamerica
    beliaamerica Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I dont like to because i dont want to get sweat on her but i know sometimes theres no other way to get exercise. I use my girl as weights. Example, hold her while doing lunges or squats
  • beliaamerica
    beliaamerica Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Right now I work out when my daughter is sleeping, but that cuts into my sleep time. It's tough bc I'm gone from 645 to 630 working/commuting. I want to find a workout that also lets me play and bond with my daughter during the few hours I see her!

I know exactly what you mean. The way i figured out is wake uo before she does in the morning & at least get an hour of work out& when she takes her nap, do another hour.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I hold my daughter in my arms when I do squats, use her body weight for arm lifts and when she's playing on the floor I do my sit-ups and give her a kiss every time I come up. She loves it.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When my son was teeny I would wear him in his carrier and do steps on the Wii Fit, it was low impact and the added weight helped me work up a sweat!

When he was 9 months old I scored a jogging stroller for $20 and I've been using it almost every day since, I really enjoy getting outside. I'm also working on cleaning up the basement (it's mostly empty, but dirty and musty) as we have a small weight bench down there, and I'm hoping to create a sort of circuit so I can do weights and cardio if I can't get outside (i.e it's mid-winter and a foot of snow on the sidewalk).

You can also definitely recruit hubby - he can entertain baby for 30 mins (or even better, wear her while doing dishes lol) while you do your favourite pre-baby workout!