Mental hunger vs physical hunger

Options
When I'm motivated to get back on track I ask myself whether I am physically hungry or mentally hungry. Over eating or eating the wrong things is always the result of the latter. Today, however, I experienced some serious physical hunger. After having a substantial breakfast. So I just wonder why?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    uh...what did you eat for breakfast? Some foods trigger a desire to eat more. Or maybe you are under-fed in general? It's normal to want to keep eating, we are evolved to do so when food is available.

Wait 20 minutes until your brain catches up to your stomach. When I feel that way even right after I've had a meal, I'll set my timer for 20 minutes and grab a glass of water. That always works.
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I had a banana, 30 Gr of all bran, 1/2 cup almond milk and a Greek yogurt 0%. I think the protein- carb ratio may have been off. It was filling but two hours later I was famished. Drank tons of water. My lunch was higher protein and didn't have the hunger pains.
    Thanks for the advice
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eat a higher protein breakfast. The protein will keep you full.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Geez, and you had no fat! Start buying the 2% or regular plain greek yogurt, or add some butter or coconut oil to your cereal. You need fats. Fats and protein are what keep you full. Carbs are much more likely to just trigger more eating.
  • myst45
    myst45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if you'd like an apple or not. If yes then you're physically hungry, if no then you're just bored.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    myst45 wrote: »
    Ask yourself if you'd like an apple or not. If yes then you're physically hungry, if no then you're just bored.

lol that doesn't necessarily work if you like apples, but yeah, pick a food you're not really fussed on and if you don't really want to eat it then you're probably not actually hungry.
  • lilligraz22
    Options
    Geez, and you had no fat! Start buying the 2% or regular plain greek yogurt, or add some butter or coconut oil to your cereal. You need fats. Fats and protein are what keep you full. Carbs are much more likely to just trigger more eating.

Ya...I think a spoon of coconut oil should do the trick. Thanks
  • lilligraz22
    Options

Hi. I know this was physical hunger unfortunately. I truly just needed something higher in protein. But thank you just the same
  • myst45
    myst45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    daweasel wrote: »

lol that doesn't necessarily work if you like apples, but yeah, pick a food you're not really fussed on and if you don't really want to eat it then you're probably not actually hungry.
    I like apples but it works for me lol :smiley:

• befit68
    befit68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I had a banana, 30 Gr of all bran, 1/2 cup almond milk and a Greek yogurt 0%. I think the protein- carb ratio may have been off. It was filling but two hours later I was famished. Drank tons of water. My lunch was higher protein and didn't have the hunger pains.
    Thanks for the advice

I usually stir in some protein powder to my yogurt & Granola, and that seems to "stick to my ribs" for some time.