Fitbit versus real life

Options
I once thought my Fitbit was a no-brainer for gaining or losing weight because it gives me data out the wazoo that helps me plan my nutrition and weekly activities. I was wrong.

On the days I go to the gym and go to work on the same day, I regularly burn, according to Fitbit Charge HR, 3500-4000 kCal per day. Because I'm trying to burn fat, I've been restricting my diet to 2300 kCal. For the past two weeks, I started to freak out why I was GAINING weight AND BODY FAT %. On days I do not go to gym and do not work, my calorie burn range is around 2300-2500.

Found only on Instagram bodybuilder direct message, I was told to revisit my resting metabolic rate (RMR). He said that heart rate monitors do not take into account what your metabolic rate is. It's like relying on cardio machine heart rate monitors to tell you how much to eat.

I calculated my RMR again and for a 37 y/o, 5'11, 185#, 17% BF my calorie target should be about 1450-2000. This would be put me into a decent deficit. If I wanted to bulk without reducing body fat, I'd go up to 2500-2900.

In summary, do not go by heart rate monitors to tell you what you can eat. You need information to keep on track: RMR, body fat % and heart rate. Don't forget to stringently monitor food intake. EVERY DAMN DAY.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The FitBit is a tool though, it's up to the user to make sure they have everything right. I have a Zip, so no HR monitor. I find it to be pretty accurate, although MFP gives me 1200/day because I'm short and middle aged. I don't like that number, so when I work out regularly, I can lose at a reasonable pace eating 1700/day. It's just a matter of time and tweaking what you are doing based on the data you have.

I'm glad you figured out what works for you.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit Charge HR to motivate me to move more. I like seeing the numbers I receive.
    I lost 95% of the weight I lost before I had a fitbit. It is a device that motivates me.
    I monitor my food/drink intake the same as I have been doing for over 4 years now (over 2 years of that time on maintenance). I move more, and eat less than I did 4 years ago, and I have a tool that motivates me to keep it up. It is all good for me.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I love my flex. There is no heart rate monitor but it's a great motivator to be more active. I'm competitive so the weekly step challenges really push me.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I've found my fitbit to be very accurate based on long term data. But mine never has had a HRM on it. But really, the most important thing is to track closely and make adjustments every month or two to your intake based on your measured results.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I find my Charge HR to be pretty accurate. I'm 5'6" 31 years old and 157 lbs. I eat 2000-2100 calories a day and I usually end up with a burn of around 2500 at the end of the day (without any intentional exercise after work). I haven't gained weight based on that burn and how many calories I eat. If anything, I'm losing. Fit Bit seems to be accurate for some and overestimating for others.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    These are just tools. That's all.

However, I would have been very skeptical of that large of a calorie burn based on your stats.

For comparison, I was using the Apple Watch. It took into account BMR with calorie burns. When I'd work out, it'd say I only burned ~2200-2400 calories.

I'm 5'4.5 female and ~130 lb now. Maintaining. If I didn't work out, it would say I burned ~1700 a day. Following those guidelines, I was still losing about a pound a week while trying to maintain.

Moral of the story, they are a good starting point and base burn off of an average person. Of course, not everyone is exactly alike.

Adjust accordingly!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    All electronic devices have a margin of error. The point is to analyze the data and figure out discrepancies. My Fitbit has been pretty accurate thus far. I have questions for you though. How much weight/body fat were you gaining in only two weeks? How do you know you gained body fat? During those two weeks while you gained were you weighing ALL of your food to the gram, measuring out all drinks, and not having cheat days/log free days?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    depending on your activity that could be the issue as well.

HRM are only good for steady state cardio.

As well Fitbit is currently being sued for the HRM...overstating things...
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When it comes to Fitbit, I use mine for friendship challenges and the stair and step tracker. I don't look at the calories. The hr on my Fitbit isn't accurate at all (like, not even close) When I exercise, I do look at the calorie burnt but i take it as a grain of salt. My bpm on my hr is way off compared to my garmen chest hr.

But the Fitbit is great for accountability with other Fitbit friends and I do use it to track my weight.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    nhguy78 wrote: »
    I once thought my Fitbit was a no-brainer for gaining or losing weight because it gives me data out the wazoo that helps me plan my nutrition and weekly activities. I was wrong.

On the days I go to the gym and go to work on the same day, I regularly burn, according to Fitbit Charge HR, 3500-4000 kCal per day. Because I'm trying to burn fat, I've been restricting my diet to 2300 kCal. For the past two weeks, I started to freak out why I was GAINING weight AND BODY FAT %. On days I do not go to gym and do not work, my calorie burn range is around 2300-2500.

Found only on Instagram bodybuilder direct message, I was told to revisit my resting metabolic rate (RMR). He said that heart rate monitors do not take into account what your metabolic rate is. It's like relying on cardio machine heart rate monitors to tell you how much to eat.

I calculated my RMR again and for a 37 y/o, 5'11, 185#, 17% BF my calorie target should be about 1450-2000. This would be put me into a decent deficit. If I wanted to bulk without reducing body fat, I'd go up to 2500-2900.

In summary, do not go by heart rate monitors to tell you what you can eat. You need information to keep on track: RMR, body fat % and heart rate. Don't forget to stringently monitor food intake. EVERY DAMN DAY.

Fitbit and other all day monitors do account for RMR. That is why you have to enter your height, weight and age when you set them up. Even if they didn't, you'd get a too low target, not too high.

I think your source was talking about sports monitors, like a Polar or Wahoo, that are meant to be used only for exercise. When you add your burns to your log, you need to adjust for your RMR, which your MFP calorie target already includes, otherwise you are double counting.

When you link Fitbit to your MFP account, it doesn't just add the calories to your target. It compares the two estimates, and adjusts your MFP target to reflect additional calorie burn., not total.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

So it's more HRMs rather than a Fitbit then.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »

So it's more HRMs rather than a Fitbit then.

I'd say so. Having a HRM has never appealed to me, way too many variables. I have an Alta, and even this tends to overestimate. If it was accurate i would have been at my goal weight eons ago!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've found the fitbit is very accurate for every day activities and steady state cardio (steps, walking, jogging etc), but not for lifting, cycling, or HIIT, also it can record extra steps if you wear it in the car.