Fitness Blender Workouts & How to Progress

Options
walking2running
walking2running Posts: 140 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise

Hi, I'm brand new to strength training. I've recently lost some weight. I'm female, 5'4" and I started at 160 pounds and now I'm at 140 pounds. For the past 6 months, I've been doing cardio (uphill walking on treadmill and recently running).
However, I'd like to try to incorporate more strength training into my routine. I don't have a gym membership. I have dumbbells at home (6 pounds and 12 pounds) and I'm a novice in the true sense of the word.

I'm using videos from Fitness Blender. Is this ok to continue for a while? What kind of results should I expect? When should I invest in heavier weights?

This is what I've been doing, with lighter weights though:

Chest Fly (Kelli is using 16 lbs or 7.3 kg per hand)
Bent Over Fly (Kelli is using 4 lbs or 1.8 kg per hand)
Ventral Raise (Kelli is using 8 lbs or 3.6 kg per hand)
Dumbbell Pullover Palms In (Kelli is using 16 lbs or 7.3 kg total)
Kneeling Tricep Kick Back (Kelli is using 12 lbs or 5.4 kg total)
Hammer Curl (Kelli is using 16 lbs or 7.3 kg per hand)

Chest Press (Kelli is using 20 lbs or 9.1 kg per hand)
Dumbbell Wide Row L&R (Kelli is using 4 lbs or 1.8 kg per hand)
Shoulder Press (Kelli is using 16 lbs or 7.3 kg per hand)
Dumbbell Pullover Palms Up (Kelli is using 12 lbs or 5.4 kg total)
Overhead Tricep Extension L&R (Kelli is using 8 lbs or 3.6 kg per hand)
Bicep Curl (Kelli is using 12 lbs or 5.4 kg total)

Close Chest Press (Kelli is using 16 lbs or 7.3 kg per hand)
Dumbbell Close Row L&R (Kelli is using 12 lbs or 5.4 kg total)
Lateral Raise Palm Down Overhead Tricep Extension L&R (Kelli is using 8 lbs or 3.6 kg per hand)
Side Pullover L&R (Kelli is using 8 lbs or 3.6 kg per hand)
Tricep Dip
Overhand Curl (Kelli is using 4 lbs or 1.8 kg per hand)

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness Blender. You can progress just fine if you invest in either adjustable dumbbells or a variety of weights. Progress will be slower than say a true heavy lifting program but for me I like the superset/higher reps/lower weight style for easily bored and distracted me and I'm fine with slower results, I'm in it for the long haul and this is what I enjoy.

However, is there any reason you're only doing upper body work? That's a fast way to imbalances. Are you just making it up as you go along or have you invested in one of their schedules?
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness Blender. You can progress just fine if you invest in either adjustable dumbbells or a variety of weights. Progress will be slower than say a true heavy lifting program but for me I like the superset/higher reps/lower weight style for easily bored and distracted me and I'm fine with slower results, I'm in it for the long haul and this is what I enjoy.

However, is there any reason you're only doing upper body work? That's a fast way to imbalances. Are you just making it up as you go along or have you invested in one of their schedules?

Because I'm on the treadmill 4-5 times per week, I figured I should focus on upper body. I'd like to incorporate lower body exercises, but I can't get the proper form for squats on my own, and I'm a little intimidated...
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Because I'm on the treadmill 4-5 times per week, I figured I should focus on upper body. I'd like to incorporate lower body exercises, but I can't get the proper form for squats on my own, and I'm a little intimidated...

Incorporating strength training is good choice, but I think you should focus on other areas like core and lower body. Try to use a barbell or something that looks like barbell, with legs wide open or slightly, push through your heels as you squat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Running isn't strength training, it's cardio and endurance for the most part, particularly on a treadmill. If you're going to do the upper then you should be doing lower too. You don't need a barbell. Look at Youtube for some videos to help with form. It just comes down to practice, even I took a little while to get it and I still can make improvements and I was a dancer in the dim and distant past! If you want someone to check your form you can always post a video here (and crop your head out/blur your face).

Strength training should be a full body thing and you will find it will help with the running too, bonus!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " When should I invest in heavier weights?"

When the weight you're using becomes easy, you have to increase it. The FitnessBlender folk use the power blocks as do I. They have two ranges (5 to 50, with additions to 90 pounds and, I believe, 3 to 24 pounds). You should, probably, mix in, at least, a total body workout along with your upper body work. Upper, body, lower, body and core. You'll get the cardio with your runs.