my feet are bleeding...

Options
I'm a semi-newbie.

At the gym today, I did 5 min warmup, then 10 min jog at 4.5, 1.0 incline, 2 min walk at 3.5, 10 jog, 2 min walk, 10 jog, 2 min walk, 10 jog, cool down. All pretty much at talking capacity.

But ouch my poor feet and toes now -- I'm bleeding in two areas from what looks like toe nails too long [though I don't think so, cause they are too cute in their hot pink for summer colors but alas, they will get cut and new pedicure], but in addition to the previous, I also have what appears to be a blister on the top of one of my toes... Can this seriously happen?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yikes. You might want to invest in some better shoes. Maybe ones that fit properly.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Yup, you need better shoes. Shoes shouldn't have any rub points on your feet at all. Go someplace that can fit you for the proper shoes. Even my old shoes wouldn't cause blisters/chafe spots to the point of bleeding until I was up int he seven or eight mile range. But once I got fitted and got new shoes (which was asap after the first time I pulled off a bloody sock), I've never had another blister or chafed area on my feet.
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The ones I'm wearing are Nike, were supposedly fitted, and cost me $120....
    I've been in the gym for the last 10 weeks and haven't really noticed the damage factor, until today when I reached out for that extra 10 minutes on the treadmill.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If your toenails are hitting the shoe you either need longer shoes are shorter toenails. Also wear socks and if are then try a different material.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Happened to me once, it was my toenails (didn't even feel it as it was happening) ... I get a pedi about every 3 weeks at the local spa. I have a good relationship with the girl who does my nails (I've been going to her for about 7 years), and she knows what my needs are, she never files my callouses (she knows I need those), and always cuts my nails as short as humanly possible (with out turning them into ingrowns) ...

If you get pedis regularly, I would recommend you go to a salon or spa where EVERYONE is licensed (for whatever they are doing, whether it's waxing, facials, nails, etc.) ... It may be slightly more expensive, but in the longrun it's better for you healthwise ... Plus, if you build a good relationship with the person/people providing the service, they sometime give you discounts upgrades (at no charge) to your services ...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The ones I'm wearing are Nike, were supposedly fitted, and cost me $120....
    I've been in the gym for the last 10 weeks and haven't really noticed the damage factor, until today when I reached out for that extra 10 minutes on the treadmill.

Supposedly fitted? What process did you go through to be fitted? Because I ran 10 miles the first day out with my properly fitted shoes and never had an issue so 10 extra minutes on the treadmill shouldn't make a difference with properly fitted shoes.

And remember, just because shoes are expensive, doesn't mean they are right for your feet. I actually ended up with a cheaper pair of shoes than I had originally thought I'd be getting because I had a very slight rub spot on the outside of my foot on the more expensive pair which wasn't the case with the less expensive pair. (both were recommended to me by all three places I had myself fitted)

Also make sure that you listen to every single piece of advice they tell you. Because I also initially thought they were crazy for recommending shoes that were a size larger than I usually wear and was stubbornly trying on the regular size since the others felt too big. Until I did a five mile run in that smaller size. Then I went crawling back to get the next size up, as per their recommendation.
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    That happened to me as well, what I did was cut my toe nails and wore thicker socks!
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fleet Feet, if one is near you, does an excellent job fitting shoes for runners.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me enough that I've gotten to the point of being able to realize "I'm going to be washing blood out of these socks" mid-run.

For me, the cause has always been toenail related where the side edge of a nail is rubbing against the flesh of the adjacent toe. Generally, i find that making sure my nails aren't digging into the other toes, combined with proper shoe and sock sizing that avoids unnecessry rubbing will resolve the matter.