Bulking and cutting question.

Options
I have been losing weight via calorie deficit, 110 pounds over the last ten months (significantly overweight) and am still very overweight (actually still obese category). However, my ultimate goal is to be as muscular as possible given genetics, being female, whatever. I like the look of female bodybuilders, although I realize that look isn't likely without steroids or whathaveyou and I'm definitely not going that route. Just want to be as muscular and big as possible without too much fat weight. Anyhow, given that this is my goal, should I still continue "cutting" until I am at a healthy weight before even considering a bulking phase? Would it be acceptable to try and bulk at close to maintenance calories for six or eight weeks? I'm lifting fairly heavy, am I even building muscle while still in a deficit? What will a bulk look like in terms of caloric intake and exercise? I'll start there. Hopefully someone out there can help me as I am getting frustrated trying to find this specific info on line.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    a bulk is in surplus. a cut is in a deficit and a recomp is at maintenance. all of them will take time to accomplish 6-8 weeks may not be enough time to see the results you want. it . if you bulk in a surplus you will gain fat. I would lift heavy and eat in a deficit,until you get to at least a decent weight,then you can decide to bulk. but it will take you time to build muscle. you wont gain much in a deficit except for some slight newbie gains if new to lifting,but it wont be much. how big is big muscle wise? for a woman to build muscle it takes a decent amount of time in a surplus,a lot longer than a man and it also depends on your age. a bulk can be slightly over your maintenance calories(everyone will be different when it comes to how many calories they need).all these things take time,just choose which one you want to do and work hard and give it time. it can take years to look like those female body builders. Ive been lifting almost 4 years and Im not even close to looking like them,but I was eating at a deficit so I know that wasnt going to happen.
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your prompt response. I will continue lifting heavy at a calorie deficit until I get to a lower weight, it just seems so slow for my muscles to get bigger, although since I have been on a heavier lifting program it is happening faster. By muscular, I'm thinking as muscular as I can possibly get, the sky is the limit lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Fun. What are your stats now?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Thank you very much for your prompt response. I will continue lifting heavy at a calorie deficit until I get to a lower weight, it just seems so slow for my muscles to get bigger, although since I have been on a heavier lifting program it is happening faster. By muscular, I'm thinking as muscular as I can possibly get, the sky is the limit lol.

if you lift in a deficit you wont get much if any muscle gains. you will see your muscles more when you start losing the fat over them,but if you have been lifting awhile its hard to gain muscle in a deficit, but it can change how your body looks and preserve any lean muscle you do have lifting in a deficit. Im a smaller size now than I was 24 lbs lighter.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I would focus on fat loss until you get to a body fat level you're comfortable with. During this time, for sure keep hitting the weights and doing your high intensity cardio interval sessions. This will improve your muscular definition as you diet down. When you get to a body fat % that you're happy with, then switch gears and focus on adding muscle mass as your primary goal.

I suggest this because I see a lot of people try to do both at once. This is a very slow thing to do, and I see people get frustrated at the "lack of progress" and quit. Focus on 1 thing, and you'll make faster observable progress to keep you engaged in the process.
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Options

if you lift in a deficit you wont get much if any muscle gains. you will see your muscles more when you start losing the fat over them,but if you have been lifting awhile its hard to gain muscle in a deficit, but it can change how your body looks and preserve any lean muscle you do have lifting in a deficit. Im a smaller size now than I was 24 lbs lighter.
    terbusha wrote: »
    I would focus on fat loss until you get to a body fat level you're comfortable with. During this time, for sure keep hitting the weights and doing your high intensity cardio interval sessions. This will improve your muscular definition as you diet down. When you get to a body fat % that you're happy with, then switch gears and focus on adding muscle mass as your primary goal.

I suggest this because I see a lot of people try to do both at once. This is a very slow thing to do, and I see people get frustrated at the "lack of progress" and quit. Focus on 1 thing, and you'll make faster observable progress to keep you engaged in the process.

Thank you both for the info. I am kind of at a bit of a confusing point right now, because I definitely am not happy with my body fat % but I don't mind my size if I was all muscle lol. Thanks again.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

terbusha wrote: »

Thank you both for the info. I am kind of at a bit of a confusing point right now, because I definitely am not happy with my body fat % but I don't mind my size if I was all muscle lol. Thanks again.

I know how you feel Im the same way. have fat in places I dont want it and its taking forever to come off. its a SLOW process,but its getting better.