Controlling sodium intake

Do you guys have any tips for avoiding high sodium food? Everyday I'm finding myself going twice over the recommended limit. There is just so much salt in everything! I could be doing good all day and then eat one thing that unbeknownst to me has over a thousand mg of sodium and be over.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Are you eating lots of processed or fast foods? The only way to lower it is to become an aware consumer and read the labels before you eat. I watch my sodium because high blood pressure runs in my family.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Prelogging helps.

Cooking at home, from scratch, makes a huge difference. (Eating out is really high in sodium.)
    Choose frozen vegetables rather than canned. If you buy canned, buy reduced sodium or no salt added.
    Avoid frozen meals and limit boxed convenience foods.
    Read labels. Salsa is crazy high in sodium.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    That's a buttload of sodium. I used to go really high all the time, too, when I'd eat a lot of lean cuisines, hot pockets and fast food. Since I have to stretch my calories out farther and started eating more fish, eggs and steamed veggies, I don't even come close to the upper limit most of the time.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I never go over my sodium and it's actually quite easy once you get into the habit of it. Just compare labels for the things you're eating. I also find it helpful to find items that are no salt added or reduced sodium. I use Mrs Dash seasonings and they're salt free. I also use the Mrs Dash seasoning packets for tacos and chili. Finding lower sodium swaps helps, too. For example, for spaghetti sauce I use Prego Heart Smart as it's the lowest sodium. I did find an organic brand with less, but it didn't taste as good. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas. I really don't use any pre-packaged pasta or potatoes as they're very high in sodium. If you can, making from scratch is the best way to go.
  • dillmilk
    dillmilk Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2016
    dlkfox wrote: »
    Prelogging helps.

Cooking at home, from scratch, makes a huge difference. (Eating out is really high in sodium.)
    Choose frozen vegetables rather than canned. If you buy canned, buy reduced sodium or no salt added.
    Avoid frozen meals and limit boxed convenience foods.
    Read labels. Salsa is crazy high in sodium.

Wow I didn't even know that about salsa!! I usually don't log my dressings & dips and extra things like that, so my sodium levels must be even higher! This is what I mean. Everyday I am finding something new with loads of sodium in it. The other day it was pancakes for crying out loud... I don't eat a lot of processed foods but I'm finding it in a lot of random things.
  • JosetteGetsFit
    JosetteGetsFit Posts: 55 Member
    All good advice... I also have to watch my sodium because of blood pressure. If I eat canned veggies I rinse it off and I also drink about a gallon of water to keep my system flushed.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    If you make your own meals you know exactly how much sodium are in them. I hardly ever get near my sodium limit because I cook all meals from scratch.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    It's all condiments for me - making my own food, but also the condiments helps me shave off sodium (because I need to for health reasons). You can also buy very low sodium hot sauces, mustard, ketchup, salsa, etc at places like TJ, whole foods, and occasionally the regular grocery store.