Body Fat estimate please :)

Options
shadow2soul
shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
I just want to get an estimate on my BF%. Ideally I would go get a dexa, bod pod, or hydrostatic weigh done, but I don't have it in my budget now. Just wanting an approximation of where I'm at to see if it's about time to start a bulk.

Height: 5'4.5
Weight: 125.4 lbs

x25bgcae61fb.jpg

Replies

• jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    5t7fzen7tayr.jpeg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    theres a couple of MFP bods who will estimate for you... @SideSteel might be one of them?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would put you around 25%ish.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    30-25
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So, I saw another post you made that you really liked the changes to your body due to lifting (and I agree, you've made great progress so far). Before jumping into a bulk, why not spend some time at maintenance, lift, and see what changes you make with a recomp?

@arditarose has a lot of experience with bulking, and I believe she's said before that the mind game can be the hardest with gaining. Taking a break from dieting before attempting to bulk probably wouldn't hurt.

Plus, she can probably chime in with much better advice about how lean to get before bulking.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I know you've lost a lot of weight and you look great. I feel uncomfortable personally suggesting a body fat% for you because while you are slim now, I don't see a lot of muscle. That said, if you keep losing, that won't change. If I were you I'd be comfortable at least edging toward maintenance and possibly a surplus for awhile. You look similar to me when I started, with just a little less muscle.

That said, if you're happy losing a few more pounds, that would have you starting a little leaner. You may feel better about starting around 120, mentally. I started at 128 and looking at 144 at the end of the bulk was a little scary.
  • arditarose
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    So, I saw another post you made that you really liked the changes to your body due to lifting (and I agree, you've made great progress so far). Before jumping into a bulk, why not spend some time at maintenance, lift, and see what changes you make with a recomp?

@arditarose has a lot of experience with bulking, and I believe she's said before that the mind game can be the hardest with gaining. Taking a break from dieting before attempting to bulk probably wouldn't hurt.

Plus, she can probably chime in with much better advice about how lean to get before bulking.

I don't have that much experience but I'm happy to give what advice I can!

I agree with hanging around maintenance for awhile too. @shadow2soul have you taken a diet break in awhile?

Are your side pictures flexed/sucked in or relaxed?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I know you've lost a lot of weight and you look great. I feel uncomfortable personally suggesting a body fat% for you because while you are slim now, I don't see a lot of muscle. That said, if you keep losing, that won't change. If I were you I'd be comfortable at least edging toward maintenance and possibly a surplus for awhile. You look similar to me when I started, with just a little less muscle.

That said, if you're happy losing a few more pounds, that would have you starting a little leaner. You may feel better about starting around 120, mentally. I started at 128 and looking at 144 at the end of the bulk was a little scary.

I personally think their will be some benefit cutting a bit more.. Not only in terms of priming the body, but mentally.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I don't have that much experience but I'm happy to give what advice I can!

I agree with hanging around maintenance for awhile too. @shadow2soul have you taken a diet break in awhile?

Are your side pictures flexed/sucked in or relaxed?

relaxed.
    I actually have been kind of had an unintentional break so to speak since about the end of April when I switched from stronglifts to strong curves. Not sure if it was the switch in lifting routines or what, but I was having a hard time sticking to my deficit after that point (I had a strange increase in hunger). Shifted to maintenance, but let my logging get a little to relaxed which resulted in a 3.4lb gain (trend) and slightly smaller measurements. I really don't think I have much muscle mass. Not sure if I just lost a lot during weight loss or if I just never had much to begin with.
  • arditarose
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I personally think their will be some benefit cutting a bit more.. Not only in terms of priming the body, but mentally.

I agree there too. Honestly I don't have a strong opinion in either direction.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I was waiting to see if you had an opinion on @psulemon's suggestion.

Since OP has sort of been taking a diet break already and seems to be ready to take on another goal of either cutting more or doing a bulk, the question really is, at her current weight and current mindset, is she mentally ready to handle the weight gain and how much does she want to commit to?

I personally have found it better for me to start on the leaner side before a bulk so that it is not such culture shock when the weight gain starts. My first bulk, I gained to fast and ended up short changing the process therefore I was not ready mentally and hated it..

First time around, I bulked till I could not stand the way I looked. This time around I lost weight, went to maint for about 4 weeks and then started the bulk and feel much better about the process and even like the weight gain this time around.
  • arditarose
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Since OP has sort of been taking a diet break already and seems to be ready to take on another goal of either cutting more or doing a bulk, the question really is, at her current weight and current mindset, is she mentally ready to handle the weight gain and how much does she want to commit to?

I personally have found it better for me to start on the leaner side before a bulk so that it is not such culture shock when the weight gain starts. My first bulk, I gained to fast and ended up short changing the process therefore I was not ready mentally and hated it..

First time around, I bulked till I could not stand the way I looked. This time around I lost weight to bulk and feel much better about the process and even like the weight gain this time around.

Yeah, I'd say it's up to her. Bulking until you can't take it anymore is one thing, but also trying to get lean until you can't take it anymore is another. If OP is comfortable losing a few more pounds, I'd say it may be for the best-if anything, for the mental aspect of gaining.

I personally got down to 128 and was not THAT lean, but I was also getting a little crazy trying to get there. I lost my libido, and wasn't really focusing on anything but myself, my food, and my lifting...my relationships suffered. But, other people might do better than me lol.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options

First time around, I bulked till I could not stand the way I looked. This time around I lost weight to bulk and feel much better about the process and even like the weight gain this time around.

Yeah, I'd say it's up to her. Bulking until you can't take it anymore is one thing, but also trying to get lean until you can't take it anymore is another. If OP is comfortable losing a few more pounds, I'd say it may be for the best-if anything, for the mental aspect of gaining.

I personally got down to 128 and was not THAT lean, but I was also getting a little crazy trying to get there. I lost my libido, and wasn't really focusing on anything but myself, my food, and my lifting...my relationships suffered. But, other people might do better than me lol.

I made sure me and my husband has some understandings during the process. Before I too just let the entire process consume me totally. This time, I a lucky we are both doing the process together.

So you bring up great points as it is not just the physical body and mentally, all of the things that make this work, lifestyle, relationships, children, career, etc.. all have to be factors in play. This is serious to say the least especially for us women..

I think though that everyone has to experience their first bulk and cut at some point, and although it is usually not complete failure, you learn about food, you learn about the lifting process and you learn soooooo much about yourself along the way!! Second and third cycle will be even better!

• arditarose
    Options

I made sure me and my husband has some understandings during the process. Before I too just let the entire process consume me totally. This time, I a lucky we are both doing the process together.

So you bring up great points as it is not just the physical body and mentally, all of the things that make this work, lifestyle, relationships, children, career, etc.. all have to be factors in play. This is serious to say the least especially for us women..

I think though that everyone has to experience their first bulk and cut at some point, and although it is usually not complete failure, you learn about food, you learn about the lifting process and you learn soooooo much about yourself along the way!!

Yes to all of this!

Also, OP, this is about the time during the summer last year when I decided I had no patience for a recomp and started getting as lean as possible for a bulk. I actually didn't start until August so you're a little ahead of the game. It's the perfect time since it's summer to slowly try drop a few pounds, by the time September/October rolls around (perfect time to start a bulk), you'll be a bit more lean. You're not going to want to start a bulk in the summer anyway, right?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP, You can look at it like this, if you want to get a head like @arditarose says, to drop a few and then in September/October when it starts to gets cooler start the bulk.. and it will be time to put on those sweat pants and longer sleeves on and being able to camouflage the process some.

So the best results will come with the best laid plan. It also comes from just doing the process the first time around. A new season is around the corner, so you have time to work out what process is or will be right for you. I do not think either way you will make a wrong a choice! :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ^Both of you with very solid points. I about to come off a period of no logging. I have been eating at maintenance for most of the year and put on a few lbs (like 3 or 4). But my main goal is to get down to around 10% or less in terms of body fat. And doing it while not tracking can be difficult. But at this point, it is a huge mental game and I have to work to limit temptation.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    ^Both of you with very solid points. I about to come off a period of no logging. I have been eating at maintenance for most of the year and put on a few lbs (like 3 or 4). But my main goal is to get down to around 10% or less in terms of body fat. And doing it while not tracking can be difficult. But at this point, it is a huge mental game and I have to work to limit temptation.

The key words in your post are "work to limit temptation".. One it is "work".. and two, temptation no matter how big or small is or will be all around.. which goes back to one, it is work..

Boils down to, how much work we are all willing to put in.. and what we put in, is what we get out! LOL :):)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    25-27%

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    Options

The key words in your post are "work to limit temptation".. One it is "work".. and two, temptation no matter how big or small is or will be all around.. which goes back to one, it is work..

Boils down to, how much work we are all willing to put in.. and what we put in, is what we get out! LOL :):)

Exactly. But its tough to turn down extra steak. 12 oz is just not enough!
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'd guess 20%. We look similar and that's mine.