Need weight loss advice

Options
Hi all I'm Dave. I am currently stuck at my weight and cannot shift it.

I am a very active bloke (I cycle commute to work everyday around 7 miles) and watch what I eat. I use my fitness pal to log my food and exercise and I always eat around 1250 calories per day. So why with all the above can I not shift any weight. I am constantly stuck at around 17st.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Help comes from having an open diary.
    You posted another question, look at those answers.
    Ex: You might be eating potato salad from a deli and think it's only 300 calories.
    Link to his other question
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10420256/need-weight-loss-advice#latest
  • pubbaa
    pubbaa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    try switching up your exercise to some weight training , i am not an know it all, but i guess your body has gotten use to what you've been doing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Firstly 1250 is too low for a guy, (unless you're very short) - 1500 is recommended minimum for guys. However if you are stuck and have been for more than 4 weeks then its more likely you are eating more than you think.

Are you using a food scale? and accurately logging your meals - alot of items in the database aren't correct.

Also are you could be eating back too many exercise calories - these are also inclined to be overestimated.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Open your diary to public and we can help you spot inaccurate entries.

Firstly, as a male, you should be eating a minimum of 1500 calories. However, because you haven't been losing, you have been eating more than you think you have.

Get a food scale and start measuring everything. Yes, even prepackaged items.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    inaccurate tracking, fat would be melting off you if you were eating a true 1250 calories
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You are not eating 1200 calories per day total. I'm normally more polite about this, but after reading your other posts, I don't know how else to say it: You're simply eating more than you think.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    pubbaa wrote: »
    try switching up your exercise to some weight training , i am not an know it all, but i guess your body has gotten use to what you've been doing.

WNYEj9G.gif
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is no way that you can be 17st, eating 1250cals, being active and still not losing weight. You are not in a caloric deficit!

Measure everything you consume with scales, log it, eat your calorie goal. At 18st my maintenance calories were 3400 and lost 2lbs a week whilst working a desk job and consuming over twice as many calories.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What you have to do is keep asking the same question until someone says that it isn't your fault then the weight will fall off.