Bigger bum

Options
I've always had a flat bum and I want to put some weight on in my bum can people suggest anything I can do I know about hip thrusts squatting deadlift etc but any advice will help

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Follow strong curves. And if you want to gain in your butt, a calorie surplus.
  • mdrolle
    mdrolle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Weighted hip thrusts, deadlift, walking lunges, weighted step ups, squats, prone leg curl mainly for a little hamstring buffer (not heavy). I think it unwise to put too much focus on one area though. I'd say focus on your entire body and weighted compound movements and all should fall in line with your genetic structure.
    Every time you lift, focus on the mind-to-muscle connection and FORM. I don't know your history, but it's easy to forget both the mind-muscle connection and form, especially when sacrificed to a focus on the weight. I had trouble with both and had to drop down on the weight to get things in order.
    Reducing body fat will show off what you have, especially if you have visceral or outer belly fat/love handles, but also remember genetics. Some are blessed with very appealing genetics in the bum area, as others are blessed in other areas.
    Beyond that, never give up! Keep working, add a little weight when you know it is appropriate, keep progressing, do gentle post workout stretching.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP putting on weight means putting on some muscle and fat as you are describing.. as @psulemon says, calorie surplus will do that. But the draw back is this does this all over the body and you cannot direct those calories to the bum area alone..

Follow an over all progressive overloading strength program, focus on all over body composition as those calories are going to spread all over the body,, make sense?

You can do hip thrusts, dead lifts, walking/reverse/alternating lunges, step up reverse lungs, squats, sumo squats, alternating side squats, straight leg dead lifts, etc.. all day long, and you will build minimum muscle in a calorie deficit and build minimum muscle while in maintenance, but in order to build new muscle, you need for the body to have a reason to build that new muscle. This goes hand in hand with eating above maintenance calories to do that and follow the strength training program designed to build those new muscles.
  • Fabe942
    Fabe942 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks what is strong curves?
  • emmarobins94
    emmarobins94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Donkey kick backs and Fire hydrant moves are great!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Fabe942 wrote: »
    thanks what is strong curves?

Look at the stickies. Its a lifting program that is highly focused on lower body.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already know the best moves. Start there before majoring in the minors.
    Also, as a guy with a plumper rump than my waist implies, don't expect to enjoy it much. Jeans are a pain to buy when you have to decide whether you want them to fit at the waist or the rear (because they rarely fit in both places).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sounds like you already know the best moves. Start there before majoring in the minors.
    Also, as a guy with a plumper rump than my waist implies, don't expect to enjoy it much. Jeans are a pain to buy when you have to decide whether you want them to fit at the waist or the rear (because they rarely fit in both places).

I recommend these pants Carlos
    van.gif
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Checkout "So you think you can squat?" Videos on YouTube. They also have one for bench and deads. For a program, I'd recommend 531 or 5x5.
  • Fabe942
    Fabe942 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What are donkey kick backs and fire hydrant excercises? where would I find the stickies lifting programme? and thanks for the link RoxieDawn I had a look at strong curves program on it not the 5x5 the other one there are so many programs with so many excercises I don't known how to do but I guess I'll practice and type them in YouTube if you could recommend a specific program to do to get mainly the lower body glutes legs ect bigger but also the upper body abs lower abs obliques siratus ect and obviously the other top parts and i would rather have to struggle with a rounded bum than have a flat one
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Fabe942 wrote: »
    What are donkey kick backs and fire hydrant excercises? where would I find the stickies lifting programme? and thanks for the link RoxieDawn I had a look at strong curves program on it not the 5x5 the other one there are so many programs with so many excercises I don't known how to do but I guess I'll practice and type them in YouTube if you could recommend a specific program to do to get mainly the lower body glutes legs ect bigger but also the upper body abs lower abs obliques siratus ect and obviously the other top parts and i would rather have to struggle with a rounded bum than have a flat one

That like is the stickie I was referring to.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Squats , squats and more squats
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I recommend these pants Carlos
    van.gif

Tried em, loved em, wife burned em...