I have tried everything

Options
A little backstory: four years ago I lost 70lbs and it came off slow but easy. It was when I originally found myfitnesspal and just logged what I ate and exercised. Two years ago I lost an additional ten lbs by doing the same. I've been stuck ever since, and I have about thirty lbs to go. I have tried every diet I am aware of, I have exercised a ton. In April I rode 75 miles on my bike, in May I rode 200 miles on my bike, in June I joined a gym because I thought maybe weights would help break this plateau - but nothing. I have not lost a lb in roughly two years. Has anyone had this happen?

Also SIDENOTE, I have been to my doc, had blood tests ran and everything is good - including my thyroid.

I'm at a loss, ironically when I can't lose anything.

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Portion creep? Have you been measuring?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you use a digital scale to weigh your food? How often do you have cheat days/meals?
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you updated your current weight in MFP so it is calculating your daily calories on your current size and not 80 pounds heavier? What is your height/weight/current daily intake?
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There is some evidence that people have a "set point" for their body weight. This might be regulated by circulating levels of certain hormones, like leptin and insulin. The question is, how to lower that "set point"?

I have one question: have you tried intermittent fasting?

It was a tipping point for me. I lost an additional 8lbs that I had no idea I needed to lose. I'm now comfortable at my lowest weight ever. I'm a little over 5'7 with 26" waist. I wasn't even this thin in high school.

I have been comfortably fasting 18 hrs daily, 24 hrs (dinner day 1 to dinner day 2), and 36 hrs (dinner day 1 to breakfast day 3) a couple of times per week, and my next goal is 48 hrs.

There is a ton of info out there on intermittent fasting. Fasting is has several unique effects apart from simply reducing calories--1. autophagy, which means you are breaking down old and degraded proteins and cleansing your brain, liver, and other tissues. 2. an increase in BMR from increase in growth hormone, adrenaline, epinephrine, etc.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/learn-intermittent-fasting-new-video-course
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html

I should also add that prior to fasting, I have been eating a ketogenic diet. This does make fasting much easier, as I am already in a state of burning primarily fat for fuel. Even if you don't eat ketogenic, it is a good idea at least to break a fast with a low carb meal, as it is easier on the body. You will experience less electrolyte shifts and other discomfort. Do you research, and do it safely, but you may be able to change your "set point" with this powerful technique.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When you're at a sticking point, focus on tightening up your nutrition and exercise. Be sure to measure your portions and weigh your proteins. Also, push yourself in your workouts. If that doesn't do the trick, then you'll have to make an adjustment to either adding in some high intensity cardio intervals (sports research says this is the best form of cardio for weight loss) and/or changing your calorie intake.

If you're working hard and you're already at the low end of the calorie intake spectrum (~1200 cal/day), then you should put your fat loss goal on pause and do a reverse diet to get your metabolism back up. This is the slow addition of calories into your diet to get your maintenance intake up to the point where you can do an effective body fat cut again. It stinks, but this is focusing on long-term results. If you have questions about this, let me know. I'm working an RD myself right now and have helped other people do it effectively too.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Set MFP up correctly, measure anything that has calories with scales, track everything that you consume. You will lose weight in a caloric deficit.

If you don't lose after 2 weeks, decrease calories slightly.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Exercise doesn't burn that many calories, and if you don't track intake, it's easy to compensate by eating more, so that you maintain your weight. When you were heavier, you could lose on more calories. When you get lighter, you have to be more strict - your body uses less energy, so you need less food, and you need to eat less to still lose, and you have to be more accurate. Stop "trying everything", instead, do what works: Set an appropriate calorie goal (to lose up to 1% of your body weight per week), weigh and log your intake accurately. Be consistent and patient - don't cheat, don't give up. Exercise if you want to. You will lose weight. Weigh yourself regularly and look at the trend (not single readings because of normal weight fluctuations that interfere with true fat loss) to check your progress.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I wonder about this, in my situation now. I think my body is just happy at this weight, though I would like to lose a few more pounds. But it may not happen. I do know that I don't want to torture myself to lose it and am trusting that it will come off with time, or I will remain where I am and just be happy. At this weight, I am still overweight, but no longer obese.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a nutritionist about every three weeks. Most of our sessions are so informative, and I'm grateful! Today, it was especially good. I would suggest that if you can, get help from a nutritionist who is willing to share relevant information with you, not the junk "info."
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a registered dietician rather than a nutritionist.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Oops! ^^ That's who I'm seeing. :o
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention how many calories you are eating. Are you weighing your food? Are the entries from the database correct? There are a lot of inaccurate ones. Are you eating back those exercise calories? Maybe eat back fewer of them for several weeks to see if that helps. Start with tightening up your logging.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    OK you have lost 100 lbs. WAY to GO!
    You haven't lost since. Are you now a healthy BMI and just want to lose vanity pounds?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    80 lbs lost. Way to go. Great job.

Now you say you have 30 more to lose.

What's your BMI? Are you already at a healthy weight?