Any Hope for Cellulite?

Options
Hello!

I'm new to My Fitness Pal, so I can better track food intake and exercise. I eat fairly healthy, am in decent physical shape. I'm 25, 5'10" and 140 lbs, so well within healthy BMI, but I've had cellulite since I was 14. It runs in my family (my mom is a runner and still has it bad). Every year, it gets worse - my upper thighs and butt are the worst, but I'm noticing it around my knees and even my arms (which are thin and pretty toned!)

Does anyone have any helpful exercise and/or diet tips to reduce cellulite? Please no lotions, pills, or any of that stuff.

Thank you!!
Shelby

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite

Also, there was a thread recently in which a few women mentioned that they found that their cellulite became less visible when they added lean mass, rather than losing more fat. In the end, though, not all cellulite is get-ridable, as you will see when reading the article above.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Your cellulite is getting worse year by year? But are you gaining weight as well or no?
  • arditarose
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Read this: http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite

Also, there was a thread recently in which a few women mentioned that they found that their cellulite became less visible when they added lean mass, rather than losing more fat. In the end, though, not all cellulite is get-ridable, as you will see when reading the article above.

Happened to me. Once I started gaining again, it looked better than when I was smaller but with less muscle.
  • shelbylizworkman
    shelbylizworkman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Have you had personal success with these? I've done all three but low weight/ high reps. Someone told me I should be doing high weight/ low reps
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but have over 25% estimated body fat. I read somewhere that if you have lower body fat you'll naturally have less cellulite. I can't remember where and it might be rubbish, but I guess it makes sense. So I'm aiming on lowering that and seeing if it helps.

Not sure if that's helpful or not.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thank you! Have you had personal success with these? I've done all three but low weight/ high reps. Someone told me I should be doing high weight/ low reps

I've had better success with heavy weight, lower rep strength training. There is a time and place for high rep work of course but for a beginner looking to work on body composition, strength training heavy is super beneficial. As for the cellulite, it might get better, it might not-but your body will look better and you'll be less concerned.

When I started losing weight I was getting knee cellulite, that was my final straw. It's gone now but genetics are a huge factor here. I was overweight, you are not.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Interesting read, upsetting but interesting.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    I second what has been mentioned above, but also,
    I have the fittest group of lady friends doing brutal leg routines, but even them, were complaining about cellulite, but a few of them just got something by Ashley Black, called Fasciablaster, they have been using it just a few times and are reporting unbelievable results. I have not bought it yet, since I don't have much cellulite, but it is on the list of items I will purchase soon, so basically, I am telling you of their results. read on internet about it, seems people are swearing by it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I have! I sort of do a medium weight/medium reps plan. I didn't find light weight/high reps helped with cellulite. And heavy weights/low reps was detrimental to my cardio endurance goals. I love to hike, and my ability to easily do big miles suffered when I focused on heavy lifting. I settled on a circuit-style plan that does several sets with 8-12 reps. I'm 44 and I think the backs of my legs/thighs look pretty good now! Definitely better than they used to.
  • shelbylizworkman
    Options
    @UpEarly Thanks so much! Very helpful
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I find it definitely got better with strength training, but it's still not completely gone (which I doubt in my case it ever will since I've had it since puberty). I am planning on a bulk/cut in the fall and I am hoping the added muscle will help. I'll let you know how it goes ;)
  • shelbylizworkman
    Options
    @sardelsa thank you!!
  • Birdy989
    Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have been plagued with cellulite most of my life. Last summer, I lost 30 lbs. it was awesome, but my cellulite was worse than ever. I continued to eat healthy and do both cardio and strength training, but I also began dry brushing and deep tissue massage just using my fingers and a bit of massage oil (almond oil). Then a few times a week I would take Epsom salt detox baths, and I would continue to massage my limbs and areas that needed improvement while in the bath. I increased the amount of water I drank significantly, and I'm telling you, I saw a terrific improvement after about 4-5 weeks. Unfortunately, I gained half the weight back and stopped doing all of that, so the cellulite is back. But I was really happy with the results of those few simple things.
  • KimKelley6
    KimKelley6 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've actually started researching cellulite and fascia a lot recently because someone recommended the FasciaBlaster to me as well. I'm really skeptical - but I joined the closed Facebook group and there are like 50,ooo women talking about their results and showing pictures - it's amazing!! I just ordered it and will keep you guys posted but I'm pretty convinced - even though at first it sounded too good to be true.
    Fascia is the body's connective tissue and when it gets adhered it basically clamps up and holds your fat in uneven areas, so it gives the "dimples" appearance. You can smooth it out by restoring the fascia and breaking up the adhesions - which is actually perfectly safe and health for you!
    You can get the same thing done by a really skilled bodyworker but it generally costs $60-$100+/hour :S and the fascia blaster costs @ $100 total - which is awesome! They have a money back guarantee so nothing to loose ;)
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Look up dry brushing... I, personally, have not had results because I am very inconsistent, however, I believe that this is a good long-term regimen that will help. I wish I didn't come in here, I'm not going to be obsessed with the Fascia deal. Haha
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mine disappears when I strength train regularly.
  • kimbol26
    kimbol26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Yes, high weight will most def help. It will help you gain more lean muscle and reduce appearance of cellulite. I have had personal success with this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    KimKelley6 wrote: »
    I've actually started researching cellulite and fascia a lot recently because someone recommended the FasciaBlaster to me as well. I'm really skeptical - but I joined the closed Facebook group (Fasciablasters) and there are like 50,ooo women talking about their results and showing pictures - it's amazing!! I just ordered it and will keep you guys posted but I'm pretty convinced - even though at first it sounded too good to be true.
    Fascia is the body's connective tissue and when it gets adhered it basically clamps up and holds your fat in uneven areas, so it gives the "dimples" appearance. You can smooth it out by restoring the fascia and breaking up the adhesions - which is actually perfectly safe and health for you!
    You can get the same thing done by a really skilled bodyworker but it generally costs $60-$100+/hour :S and the fascia blaster costs @ $100 total - which is awesome! They have a money back guarantee so nothing to loose ;)
    Sorry but fascia is quite tough. I'm sure you've seen it when you've cooked chicken. You can massage that fascia all you want, but the only way to break it up is to cut it or rip it and that wouldn't be good for your muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png