How much protein do I really need?

Options
I weigh about 130 pounds, am a female and am 5'5". How many grams of protein should I have daily if I'm moderately active? I run/bike 4 times a week and lift at least 3 times a week too. I'm not looking to put on muscle, just maintain. I'm also a vegetarian so most of my protein has fat too, with the nuts and beans.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my rule is 0.8 grams for each pound I weigh...so about 100 grams...

but you won't build muscle with just eating protein...you need to work them with resistance and eat at least at maintenance and/or surplus.

As well try protein powders if you want...no fat in those.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What are your goals? There is a huge difference between how much you need vs how much is optimal for your goals. It also depends if you are cutting, maintaining or bulking.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    What are your goals? There is a huge difference between how much you need vs how much is optimal for your goals. It also depends if you are cutting, maintaining or bulking.

She said maintain.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Actually the .8 is per kilo not pound..lots of people get this confused...so you really only need about 50ish give or take

Higher levels, 1.5-2.2g per kg is what is need to maintain lean body mass, during a deficit, while being lean. The .8g per kg is for sedentary people who are maintaining their weight.
  • psuLemon
    edited July 2016
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Being active, she will required more than the average person. And .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, may not be a bad target.
  • redraidergirl2009
    edited July 2016
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Being active, she will required more than the average person. And .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, may not be a bad target.

I'm pretty sure it's per kg, not pound. If she targets eating too much protein she's likely going to overlook other nutrients like a lot of people do on this site. You just pee out the extra. She's tiny at 130. I don't think she needs 100-130g just to maintain.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

I'm pretty sure it's per kg, not pound. If she targets eating too much protein she's likely going to overlook other nutrients like a lot of people do on this site. You just pee out the extra. She's tiny at 130. I don't think she needs 100-130g just to maintain.

Per kg is ridiculously low
  • psuLemon
    edited July 2016
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Like I said, it's mainly based on goals. But there is a ton of research that supports higher than RDA protein levels. Since she isn't in a deficit, then it may not need to be as much. But there is no downside to eating above the minimums.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10334013/protein-intake-for-highly-trained-natural-weight-lifters-during-caloric-deficit/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823505/research-on-protien-intake
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

You would use extra protein the same way you'd use other calories, not pee it out. 0.8/kg is quite low for a person who exercises regularly. Why waste your strength training by not getting enough protein? You're not going to get bigger by eating enough protein if you aren't training like a bodybuilder. You'll recover faster and be less prone to injury.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I agree .8g per kg of body weight should be fine. Although personally I like the 1 gram per pound of lean body weight.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm about your weight and target 50g. I eat plant-based about 90% of the time and have no problem getting a bit more than this. I've never seen conclusive evidence of the benefits of eating more than the RDA if you are not in deficit or trying to gain muscle mass.

The symptoms of not enough protein are things like feeling tired a lot, hair loss and getting sick. If this doesn't describe you, then I wouldn't worry.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

that is the RDA minimum and its' not enough for active people.

I do the 0.8 grams per pound of weight and my other macros are not overlooked at all...

100 grams is not a bad number for an active woman to try to achieve.

I am just a bit taller and a bit heavier and I get in 130-140 a day easy and get in lots of fats and carbs too...it's all in what you choose to eat.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

I do the 0.8 grams per pound of weight and my other macros are not overlooked at all...

I am just a bit taller and a bit heavier and I get in 130-140 a day easy and get in lots of fats and carbs too...it's all in what you choose to eat.

Just seems like overkill to me to eat that much protein to only maintain...but I guess however people want to use their calories. We all have different goals.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Just seems like overkill to me to eat that much protein to only maintain...but I guess however people want to use their calories. We all have different goals.

my diary is open...when you see what I do eat it's not a lot of "stuff"

summer so protein powder in my smoothie/ winter egg muffins and ham
    Lunch burger with cheese and cottage cheese
    dinner probably ham steak with roasted veggies, last night shrimp with pasta salad..or a partial chicken breast etc.

normal meals...normal life.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Considering the amount of lean body mass you have, you could get by with 80-90 grams.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

dinner probably ham steak with roasted veggies, last night shrimp with pasta salad..or a partial chicken breast etc.

Well the OP is vegetarian so her meals are going to look a little different as the protein will be from different sources and likely not a big piece of tofu at each meal similar to your meat serving at each meal. Her diary will likely be a bit more carb heavy.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Well the OP is vegetarian so her meals are going to look a little different as the protein will be from different sources and likely not a big piece of tofu at each meal similar to your meat serving at each meal. Her diary will likely be a bit more carb heavy.

that's fine...vegetarians don't need less protein than omnivores.

There are other ways of getting it in....I am just saying that 100 grams is not that hard to do and it's not unreasonable either even for a vegetarian...cottage cheese for example or greek yogurt