Calorie goal seems much too high?? (2300!!!)

Options
I've lost 75 lbs from 330 so there's still plenty to go around, but isn't a calorie goal of 2300 much too high for weight loss? I'm avg. tall, 6 ft 1.

Replies

• alexfantato
    alexfantato Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too. it was because of double input by iPhone sensor and Strava App for the same running session.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,026 Member
    Options
    So you're currently 255 lbs? I weigh about 75 lbs less than you, am a 5' 4" woman in my 50s with a desk job, and I maintain on about 2300 (before adding exercise calories), so I think you can lose weight on 2300.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 lbs from 330 so there's still plenty to go around, but isn't a calorie goal of 2300 much too high for weight loss? I'm avg. tall, 6 ft 1.

No, that's not too high. You can lose perfectly well at that number, with your stats.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I also currently weigh less, am shorter, and eat more than that to lose. It depends on lots of factors. That seems like an entirely logical number to me.

You might try plugging your stats into an online calculator like Scooby's or IIFYM to see what they come up with, but bear in mind that MFP has the deficit already built in, where those sites won't.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My husband is losing right around that number with similar stats. The best thing to do is pay attention for a few weeks (the most common recommendation I see is 6 weeks) and see if your body is responding the way you want it to. If you're set at 1/2 lb a week, is that what you averaged over 6 weeks? More? Less? Tweak accordingly. Maybe you need a food scale because eye balling isn't working any more. Maybe you need to eat more/less. Either way, give it time.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I weigh 100 lbs less, am 7 inches shorter, female, 2 decades older, and I can lose weight eating 1900-2000 calories. So I'm going to assume you'd lose just fine eating a total of 2300. Trick is making sure you're ACTUALLY eating 2300, and not acidently eating more than that via underestimating your intake.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    1. You made me math (330 - 75 = 255). I have a headache now from mathing... :wink:
    2. I was actually about that when I was on the losing 1 lb/week plan at around 191. So...no, you're probably good.