Best Bread?

Options

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Either the double fiber Brownberry posted above (100 cal/slice) or the Brownberry whole wheat sandwich thins (100 cal each).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    moabbite wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think I am just having a hard time with the nutrition balance. I look at my food logged and I'm within my calories and macros are on point, but I don't meet my nutritional goals. Sometimes I think it's impossible without going over my calories. Guess I should work out more :smiley:

What are you finding that you are short on? What is your calorie goal and what are your nutritional goals?

1200 calories. I'm going off the goals that MFP has set. Seem to come up short for pretty much everything except vitamin C.

Double-check the entries you select out of the database before you log them. Not all users fill in the full nutrient profile. Using USDA entries for meat and produce is usually a good way to go. See how that goes for a couple of days - you might find you're doing better with your micronutrients than is currently being shown.

So the food database with nutrients is filled out by users? Unless it has the green verified checkmark next to it? Or I scan a code

The verified checkmark only means that so many people have confirmed the nutrition information listed. It can still be very inaccurate.

I was eating Brownberry Oatnut for a while, but at 120 calories a slice it put a nice dent into my calories. Now I either go with honey wheat bread or La Tortilla low carb tortillas that are only 80 calories for one.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I use the Sarah Lee delightful also. I don't eat a ton of bread, mostly rice and potatoes, but when I do it's my go to. Also, sandwich thins and trader joes whole wheat Tuscan pane.

p8a7ya4xahbz.png

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Get your micronutrients from your fruits and veggies.

My criteria for bread is that it be sturdy enough to hold the toppings. I pick higher fiber offerings.

I gravitate towards sourdoughs, ryes, and pumpernickel.

The very low calorie Weight Watchers bread is too insubstantial to hold up a decent sandwich. IMO.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Aunt Millie's. 35 calories a slice but as with all breads you better go by weight and not by slice. There's a difference!
  • AshleyAnnFitness
    AshleyAnnFitness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you must have bread - get Ezekiel bread.

Whereas most breads contain added sugar, Ezekiel bread contains none.

It is also made from organic, sprouted whole grains. The sprouting process changes the nutrient composition of the grains significantly.

In contrast to most commercial breads, which consist primarily of refined wheat or pulverized whole wheat, Ezekiel bread contains several different types of grains and legumes
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All yeast risen breads have some sugar added to feed the yeast. Otherwise the bread is flat. This includes Ezekiel bread. (It's possible that the natural sugars in the sprouted grains are enough to feed the yeast.) Once the yeasts have done their thing, digesting the sugar and releasing little bubbles of carbon dioxide, the bread is baked, killing the yeast. Unless a bread is noticeably sweet, the sugar is gone.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's not low cal but this is my bread preference.

a065facf-e359-4915-b73b-dfca72559d14.jpg

This is also my bread of choice. Love a bread that makes me sandwiches with 10g of fiber.

Edit: I just realized, mine looks exactly like this except it's Orowheat brand and not Brownberry. The Orowheat version I get is 80 calories a slice.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    It sounds silly, but HEB sells a crustless bread that I really enjoy.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I like Dave's Killer bread also. The slices are so big that I only use one and cut it in half for a sandwich. I'm currently eating Alpine Valley Honey Chia bread. 70 calories, organic and pretty good. Like others I keep my bread in the freezer.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I buy from a little German bakery-7 grain; a delicious coarse bread which I love. I only use one slice at a time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's not low cal but this is my bread preference.

a065facf-e359-4915-b73b-dfca72559d14.jpg

This is also my bread of choice. Love a bread that makes me sandwiches with 10g of fiber.

Edit: I just realized, mine looks exactly like this except it's Orowheat brand and not Brownberry. The Orowheat version I get is 80 calories a slice.

Apparently Orowheat, Brownberry, and Arnold are all made by the same company. It's interesting that yours has a lower calorie count. I wonder if the ingredients are different or if the slices are smaller.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread - they have it at Trader Joes in the bread aisle and at Whole Foods in the freezer section.
    It's low carb, low fat, organic and great toasted
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Alvarado St. Bakery. It's sprouted like Ezekiel bread. Flourless. Multigrain. Very yummy 80 cal a slice I think. Eta: I get it in the freezer in the deli sections.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you must have bread - get Ezekiel bread.

Whereas most breads contain added sugar, Ezekiel bread contains none.

It is also made from organic, sprouted whole grains. The sprouting process changes the nutrient composition of the grains significantly.

In contrast to most commercial breads, which consist primarily of refined wheat or pulverized whole wheat, Ezekiel bread contains several different types of grains and legumes

Or if you like wraps, use Flat Out protein up, seasalt and cracked pepper.
  • moabbite
    moabbite Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! I'm going to see which of these my grocery store carries and try some of them out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I like Healthy Life Bread 100% whole wheat. 35 calories and 5g fiber and 5 net carbs per slice.

http://www.healthylifebread.com/pages/original/100-whole-wheat-bread.php
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I count carbs, and I second/third/fourth the Dave's Killer Bread. I also eat a Eureka Sweet Baby Grains. It's larger than the Dave's Killer (thin), and about the same nutrition-wise. There's also an Oroweat bread named something like Healthfull that's very low-carb. But...Dave's Killer Nut and Seed (thin if you're counting carbs) or Eureka Sweet Baby Grains. By the way, Sam's Club sells 2-packs of the DKB Nuts and Seeds.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I love Aunt Millie's Light breads 70 calories for 2 slices and < 20g of carbs. Love it. We go through 2 loaves a week in a family of 3!

Here's a link to a list of the varieties. We usually get whole wheat, but the potato bread is good too.
    http://www.auntmillies.com/products/breads/healthy-goodness
  • mrs_sjlarsen
    mrs_sjlarsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love my Ezekiel 4:9 bread..... toasted.... mmmm :tongue: