Running: burning sensation in my chest

Options

Quick question: I have recently realised that I don't suffer with leg/feet/joint pains when I run, my problem is a burning sensation in my chest. Does anyone else suffer with this and if so how do you relieve it? I Googled it and it says it could be exercise induced asthma. I would go see my doc but trying to get an appointment is near impossible, so trying to see if there is anything I can do myself.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly be running too fast for your current fitness level?

I don't know if your running is new, but it is advised you start slow to build up endurance.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Being blunt screw dr. Google. You need to see a doctor right away if you can't get an appointment with your regular doctor tell him you're going to find another one. Burning in the chest is not healthy and it may be a symptom of more serious issues
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You'd likely feel short of breath and wheezy if it were asthma. Its possible it's an acid reflux thing, or something worse like your heart. See, there's too many things it could be. You need to physically go see a physician.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have it, I am asthmatic and have GORD (GERD). It is very possible for me to have the burn without wheezing or feeling breathless.

I know my burn is asthma when it feels like an ice-fire, so my chest feels so cold it burns (like breathing in a freezer)
    When it is a hot burn, it is my reflux bothering me.

Definitely get yourself to a doctor - the treatments I'm on for both conditions have changed my running (and my life) beyond recognition!!
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I was trying to go too fast for my fitness level at that time and it would burn in my chest. I slowed it down, and it went away as I got in better shape. C25K helped me pace myself better.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma and sometimes it feels like I can't take full deep breaths. In HS I was on the track team and I had to keep up with practice, so I had an inhaler & I would take it only before practice. It wasn't a rescue inhaler. (Before my initial trip to the doctor my chest would burn when I ran, and occasionally hurt at random times, which can be scary.) But I haven't had a Rx for the inhaler since then (10 years ago). My chest still gets tight sometimes when I run though, but I have learned to control it, and I know to slow down and breath.

I wouldn't panic. But the doctor may have some options for you to make exercising more comfortable.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly be running too fast for your current fitness level?

I don't know if your running is new, but it is advised you start slow to build up endurance.

giphy.gif
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Ok book a doctors appointment anyways even if it takes forever. You can always cancel it if you improve.

Change your running to a run/walk program. Start by running for 5 minutes walking for 2 running for 5 walking for 2 etc. Until you have run for 20 minutes (total time will be 28 minutes) Do this 3x or 4x a week for 2 weeks. Then run 5 walk 1 for 25 minutes of running (31 minutes total time) 3 or 4 x a week. If ok move up to 6 run 1 walk, if not stay here another week. This is how I get back into running.

I do have asthma but have also run a full marathon and 2 1/2 marathons and many 5 and 10 k fun runs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    This is one for a doc. A burning sensation in your chest could be totally normal or very abnormal and dangerous. Not a good one for internet diagnoses.
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise. I have been running for about 5 months.I am in the beginners group at the club I run with. We do walk/run and it's not too fast (Running with a 67year old coach with a foot problem)

However I do run 5k parkruns and I agree, I have run to fast for my ability in these (finishing in 38-41mins) that with the fact I do not breath properly, breathing through my mouth Al contribute to the burning sensation.
    I am going to book appointment to see my GP & get checked out.
    Thanks all.
  • debsfran
    Options
    Update. Went to walk in centre. Was advised that it could be one of 3 things: seasonal asthma, exercise induced asthma or muscle related. She could not test for asthma but advised to book appt to see the nurse at my surgery (appt tomorrow) and as I was running yesterday I was told to take ibruprofen an hr before my run as it would help me if it is muscle related. I did, and i ran a lot better (beat my pb by just over 2 mins) not sure if it was due to the ibruprofen or because I paced myself or a combination of both
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I used to have mild ashma triggered by cold air (running! ) and it's not a burning sensation, it's a tight oh god there's a elephant sat on my chest sensation!
  • debsfran
    Options
    Got checked out by nurse, she was all for giving me an inhaler but then as Dr for second opinion. He said no, need to see him Thursday as he wants to rule out cardiac issues
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have mild asthma and I get that feeling. Especially when I first started getting into fitness it's felt like a minty burn. I just pushed through it mostly and it subsided
  • PleasantDisarray
    PleasantDisarray Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had tricky to control asthma since I was eighteen months old. My exercise induced asthma can be a cold burn, but the way I tell it's asthma is that long after the rest of my body has recovered from exercise (heart rate back to normal, body has cooled etc) I still can't get a proper deep breath, I'm still wheezy and I keep coughing. This lasts up to an hour after the initial symptoms. Given that the primary problem in exercise induced asthma is spasm of the muscles of the small airways, if you don't have these respiratory symptoms, it's not a likely diagnosis.

It's fantastic that you've gotten involved with your doctor and he's giving it proper consideration. As others have alluded, though, even if it *is* asthma the vast majority of sufferers can reduce or eliminate their symptoms the more they exercise and the fitter they become. If you don't have uncontrollable coughing and inability to get a good breath you probably don't need an inhaler as a crutch to help you get there. :)
  • debsfran
    Options
    I ran a 5k park run yesterday and used my inhaler before I started and it did the trick. No breathing problems or burning sensation.