What does a "lifestyle change" mean to you?

Options

Replies

• belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well, I don't like calling it a lifestyle change. Change is too extreme of a word to be sustainable for me. I call it lifestyle modification. Now what does this mean to me? Making small modifications to my diet and activity that would allow me to stay within calories without having to make a paradigm shift in the way I'm eating. Basically the way I do it is that I imagine myself already maintaining a healthy weight, then ask myself how would I act?

Examples:
    - I don't see myself as someone who would train for 2-3 hours a day so I don't. I keep my workouts manageable 20-60 minutes. I don't enjoy lifting weights, so I don't. I discovered that I enjoy running, and I can see myself doing that long term, so I run a few times a week when I'm able.
    - I don't see myself removing any food from my diet, so I eat it all. I can see myself being able to moderate higher calorie foods and balance them out against the rest of my calories keeping to a weekly budget, so that's what I do.
    - I found skipping meals, or even having low calorie overall days, to be an easy quick fix for a higher planned dinner, so I do that sometimes.
    - I found that planned small weight gains followed by quick weight losses are fine, and I plan to keep doing that into maintenance whenever the situation calls for it, like during the holidays.

Basically, I try a bunch of stuff, and when I come across something that feels easy and natural to me I add it to my dieting arsenal.

I have gone about it almost the same way. I don't like weights so i do bodyweight exercises. Running and biking are enjoyable and now routine.

I make adjustments to intake as necessary to meet my personal goals, but not too strict. I eat whatever I want. Nothing is forbidden except that I don't find tasty.

The only difference is that I don't skip meals, I may just reduce the amount in a meal if necessary. That's just because I tend to feel run down if I skip.

I like your term lifestyle modification. It's not that I find the term change too extreme, but that it's stuff i did before with a better understanding of how i got the result and now keeping to it, instead of just half hearted efforts.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Its not a lifestyle change for me! I continue to live my lifestyle just with a different mindset and attitude towards to food and exercise.

Nothing is restricted.. nothing is done out of "dread".. It is all done with a better attitude, better use of my time, and better choices. I will get to live a little longer (I hope) because of these small things I have chosen to do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    "Lifestyle change" is one of my pet peeve phrases when used in reference to weight loss. Eating differently is just a change of habit.

I think lifestyle is much more comprehensive than that. Having a baby would do it. Getting married (or divorced) or moving away or winning the lottery or losing your job might do it, too. Big life alterations that happen to you.

Well, it has to be a lifestyle change though... I mean for people who want to keep the weight down.

What about those of us who spent most of our lives eating reasonably well and exercising lots and remaining slender ... and just drifted from that for various reasons for a few years ... and are now back to that again?

See I'm looking at it as "getting back to normal" again ... not a lifestyle change. This ... what I'm doing now in the way of diet and exercise ... is back to the way things used to be. Back to normal. :)

Well it's still a change. You changed your lifestyle, now you're changing it back.

But obviously it won't need to be a huge change for people who have always had a healthy lifestyle but just eat a little bit too much.

I just think that when people mention a 'lifestyle change', it's more directed at obese people who like eating a lot.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    "Lifestyle change" is something I said maybe 10 years ago. I'm not going to.say that it is a BS phrase for everyone but it was for me. To me it did not include counting calories or doing very effective things. It meant eating food I didn't normally eat and exercising an hour a day from day 1. It was me trying to change everything about myself. It didn't take into account my preferences and habits. It went along with a period of intense self hatred and wanting to harm/punish myself. I don't really view lifestyle change as more positive or sustainable than dieting.
    I would prefer to say now that I eat and exercise in a sustainable way. I eat whatever I want in appropriate portion sizes for me. I eat the same foods I always ate- with more vegetables on my plate. I exercise moderately- 30 minutes or so- for health not weight loss. Small changes not a lifestyle change or diet overhaul.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change in that in taking control and awareness of my eating.

I have added in moving more to eating less and I think I can manage this quite comfortably.
    I have made these changes fit my day to day life but, apart from being slimmer there isn't that much change in my life ( still a cake maker - surrounded by cake, frosting and sugar 24/7) and a mum to kids that enjoy sweet things, and wife to a husband that can pack away the food.

I've just made the goals achievable day to day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A BS platitude

:smiley: It's not my favourite expression (I used to think, "Oh really? You're planning on eating at a deficit for the rest of your life? Good luck with that"), but once I started slowing the weight loss process way down (losing 1 or 2 lbs a month), it got a lot less silly.

Talk to me in 5 years. If you're still on track then yes you changed your lifestyle. My point is that it's work. I'm sticking with BS platitude the vast majority of the time.

Hello :wink:
    Well, technically 4 and a half. Do you need me to get back to you in a few months?

Congrats, you've gotten past platitude along a handful of others on here. Of course, you said yourself that you don't like or use the term.

I was poking harmless fun. I actually agree with you to an extent. The phrase as it's often used actually means dieting, excluding fad diets like cleanses and such. Apart from a few exceptions, it does not usually involve careful consideration of a person's preferences, life, personality...etc. The things that make a diet actually sustainable. That's why I don't personally use it. I don't really mind when others do though, as there is no way of knowing what they mean by it.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    "Lifestyle change" to me is this mythical state where you change your lifestyle from one that results in weight gain to one where you lose/maintain weight. I've never been able to sustain such a change for any longer than 6 months max. I've never once reached "maintenance".
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    A BS platitude

:smiley: It's not my favourite expression (I used to think, "Oh really? You're planning on eating at a deficit for the rest of your life? Good luck with that"), but once I started slowing the weight loss process way down (losing 1 or 2 lbs a month), it got a lot less silly.

Talk to me in 5 years. If you're still on track then yes you changed your lifestyle. My point is that it's work. I'm sticking with BS platitude the vast majority of the time.

Hello :wink:
    Well, technically 4 and a half. Do you need me to get back to you in a few months?

Congrats, you've gotten past platitude along a handful of others on here. Of course, you said yourself that you don't like or use the term.

I was poking harmless fun. I actually agree with you to an extent. The phrase as it's often used actually means dieting, excluding fad diets like cleanses and such. Apart from a few exceptions, it does not usually involve careful consideration of a person's preferences, life, personality...etc. The things that make a diet actually sustainable. That's why I don't personally use it. I don't really mind when others do though, as there is no way of knowing what they mean by it.

I'm more annoyed with the way it's used mostly as a platitude than anything else. I agree with your points.

I haven't been able to take the phrase seriously since this scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJrsCBt0rQ
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    Well, I don't like calling it a lifestyle change. Change is too extreme of a word to be sustainable for me. I call it lifestyle modification. Now what does this mean to me? Making small modifications to my diet and activity that would allow me to stay within calories without having to make a paradigm shift in the way I'm eating. Basically the way I do it is that I imagine myself already maintaining a healthy weight, then ask myself how would I act?

Examples:
    - I don't see myself as someone who would train for 2-3 hours a day so I don't. I keep my workouts manageable 20-60 minutes. I don't enjoy lifting weights, so I don't. I discovered that I enjoy running, and I can see myself doing that long term, so I run a few times a week when I'm able.
    - I don't see myself removing any food from my diet, so I eat it all. I can see myself being able to moderate higher calorie foods and balance them out against the rest of my calories keeping to a weekly budget, so that's what I do.
    - I found skipping meals, or even having low calorie overall days, to be an easy quick fix for a higher planned dinner, so I do that sometimes.
    - I found that planned small weight gains followed by quick weight losses are fine, and I plan to keep doing that into maintenance whenever the situation calls for it, like during the holidays.

Basically, I try a bunch of stuff, and when I come across something that feels easy and natural to me I add it to my dieting arsenal.

I have gone about it almost the same way. I don't like weights so i do bodyweight exercises. Running and biking are enjoyable and now routine.

I make adjustments to intake as necessary to meet my personal goals, but not too strict. I eat whatever I want. Nothing is forbidden except that I don't find tasty.

The only difference is that I don't skip meals, I may just reduce the amount in a meal if necessary. That's just because I tend to feel run down if I skip.

I like your term lifestyle modification. It's not that I find the term change too extreme, but that it's stuff i did before with a better understanding of how i got the result and now keeping to it, instead of just half hearted efforts.

I really like the way you phrased that. I mean I still eat the same things, do (or don't do) the same things, I still spend hours playing video games, I still order things based on preference not calories when I go out, I still pig out on special occasions and so on. The only thing that is different is that I understand the impact each action has and how to mediate it. The only difference between then and now is that I used to overeat all the time without consideration or planning and now I only overeat when it's worth it then make adjustments to other less important meals. If skipping meals made me feel run down I wouldn't be doing it either, but I actually don't mind it. It was actually a surprise to me. I did not know I would find it so easy, let alone be able to do it in the first place.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It meant that I had to learn how to cook, and stop sucking at being a functional adult. It's actually been an enjoyable process...and I actually like my own food better.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    "Lifestyle change" is one of my pet peeve phrases when used in reference to weight loss. Eating differently is just a change of habit.

I think lifestyle is much more comprehensive than that. Having a baby would do it. Getting married (or divorced) or moving away or winning the lottery or losing your job might do it, too. Big life alterations that happen to you.

Well, it has to be a lifestyle change though... I mean for people who want to keep the weight down.

What about those of us who spent most of our lives eating reasonably well and exercising lots and remaining slender ... and just drifted from that for various reasons for a few years ... and are now back to that again?

See I'm looking at it as "getting back to normal" again ... not a lifestyle change. This ... what I'm doing now in the way of diet and exercise ... is back to the way things used to be. Back to normal. :)

Well it's still a change. You changed your lifestyle, now you're changing it back.

But obviously it won't need to be a huge change for people who have always had a healthy lifestyle but just eat a little bit too much.

I just think that when people mention a 'lifestyle change', it's more directed at obese people who like eating a lot.

The bigger "lifestyle changes" were the move to Australia (as I mentioned earlier), developing DVT which knocked me out of the game for a year, then travelling and cycling around the world for 8 months, then moving around a bit while we got settled again. Those have had a lasting impact on my life.

But as for my diet, I did the calculations and it turns out I averaged about 80 calories a day over maintenance, during that time, to arrive at my peak weight. Not a huge change to my "normal" diet.

Although, that said, my diet did change in Australia ... I started eating meat pies instead of burritos, and creamier squares instead of nanaimo bars. :grin:

And during the 8 months around the world, we tried all sorts of things. :) I even tried haggis! But it is highly unlikely that will become part of my lifestyle.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think I'd say the lifestyle "change" I made was to not give up making better-for-me choices.

I was a morbidly obese mostly sedentary smoker who drank every day. Since then I've gone through phases and changes in my life. I'm no longer those things I was. I'm an ex-smoker, I'm much more active, I've ranged from normal weight to overweight a couple times since then from injuries and life, but the idea that "health" was a goal, an aim, a target I'd always shoot for and never give up doing my best to make better choices towards. That's my new lifestyle: Ownership of the choices I make every day.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Creating permanent new habits with regards to eating and exercising.

cool, what habits are you happy to have permanently?

Drinking 8+ glasses of water, walking 4miles a day, strength training 5 times a week.

I'm currently trying a LCHF (well maybe not so low carb, it's more between 60-85g a day) diet, for satiety reasons. If I do well on it and feel good on it, I'm open minded to trying to incorporate the approach long term.

Other than that, keeping track of my calories. Having go-to meals and so on.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Awareness, impact and consequences to decisions and choices made - positives and negatives. Actions and inactions.

For me, the task of logging isn't sustainable so I gave that up once I shed the weight I wanted to.

The holding back of not eating foods and drinks I love isn't sustainable. I eat and drink what I like.

Doing exercises I hate isn't sustainable. . I won't and don't do them.

All of the food and exercise choices wrapped around the conscious thought and awareness of impact to how I feel is what I have taken away from life after hitting my goal weight.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I started a new phase of my life in 2008 when I started running. I was large...very large. I didn't run for weight loss I ran because I always wanted to be a runner. I stayed pretty large and ran lots of races as a larger person. When I decided I wanted to run faster and improve my running I relooked at all my habits and revamped them (this was in 2012). I hired a personal trainer and started lifting weights to aid my running. That helped some. But the nutrition was lagging behind. In 2014 I changed my nutrition to support my long term running goals. I continually strive to improve myself. I tweak and change and try new things to see if they get me closer to the athlete I want to be...its been a slow transformation and sometimes very frustrating as well as very rewarding. Thats a lifestyle transformation in my opinion since its ongoing and morphs into new areas and improvements continuously.
  • healthy4ever10
    healthy4ever10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can call it whatever you want. But the way I am currently living does not work at all. So changing that will lead to an improved possibly different life! It is the journey of a lifetime.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    A permanent change.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Making positive changes in my life that I will keep up. Not doing a crash diet to burn and get back to square one again but to build up new habits to replace some of my old ones.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    A lifestyle change means having to find a hobby other than eating.