Pizza Time

Options
xxxTiaxxx
xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
Can anyone suggest a low fat alternative to a pizza base? The lower the better? I usually have pizza every weekend and I'm not ready to give that tradition up but I need to work around this and make it work for me.

Also cheese? I have no idea about any cheese other than mozzarella. Let's just say when it comes to actually cooking healthy I'm a complete n00b.

Actually let me backtrack even further, I need help with a base, cheese and toppings. Lets just make the whole pizza in this post.

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i was just checking on the cheese part. Polly-O part skim mozzerella is supposed to be good tasting and lower fat
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    We make homemade pizza all the time, and I don't make any changes. We use Jiffy pizza dough, which I roll thin. Sometimes marinara, sometimes bbq. You get to control what and how much goes on your pizza.

I like to put chicken, spinach, mushroom, onion, and tomato on a thin crust with light bbq and cheese. Hubs likes mushrooms and cheese with marinara.

I have tried the cauliflower crust. No. Not for me. I've also used bagels, english muffins, tortillas (pizza-dilla), we still just ended up preferring the boxed crust. Actually, the Wal-mart one is hands down the best if you find yourself there!
  • xxxTiaxxx
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    i was just checking on the cheese part. Polly-O part skim mozzerella is supposed to be good tasting and lower fat

Is there any diff if you were to use feta or goats? Personally I have tried goats cheese but that seems to be all the craze atm

• xxxTiaxxx
    Options
    We make homemade pizza all the time, and I don't make any changes. We use Jiffy pizza dough, which I roll thin. Sometimes marinara, sometimes bbq. You get to control what and how much goes on your pizza.

I like to put chicken, spinach, mushroom, onion, and tomato on a thin crust with light bbq and cheese. Hubs likes mushrooms and cheese with marinara.

I have tried the cauliflower crust. No. Not for me. I've also used bagels, english muffins, tortillas (pizza-dilla), we still just ended up preferring the boxed crust. Actually, the Wal-mart one is hands down the best if you find yourself there!

I had a friend mention the cauliflower thing to me today. I'm only just getting into the stuff so I dont want to scare myself lol.

I was considering just using a pita wrap like Lebanese bread and putting it in the oven. And you're completely right about measuring the stuff yourself. I'm just not that good with veggies lol. I need to ease myself into this.

I guess it should be known that I'm in Australia so Wal-Mart is a no go for me :( I do miss the place though.
  • tmi_gang
    tmi_gang Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do healthy pizza. I call Domino's or Pizza Hut with good intentions, then they deliver the stuffed crust with extra cheese. Inconsiderate.. I don't let it go to waste, though.

I would just go with what the above posters stated.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes do a whole wheat flatbread pizza (there's a brand called Flat-out), with a light sprinkling of cheese. I heat it in my toaster oven. If I do order a pizza out, I'll get a thin and crispy crust with light cheese (I've always disliked tons of gooey cheese dominating the pizza - I prefer tasting the ingredients). My favorite toppings include some combination of: onions, artichoke hearts, sliced tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, shrimp, sausage, eggplant. I really like a Canadian bacon/shrimp/mushroom combo, but they have to be good quality shrimp.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    Options
    tmi_gang wrote: »
    I wish I could do healthy pizza. I call Domino's or Pizza Hut with good intentions, then they deliver the stuffed crust with extra cheese. Inconsiderate.. I don't let it go to waste, though.

My pizza order consists of a large pepperoni with extra cheese. In saying that I'm a food hoarder so I dont usually eat the whole pizza. Maybe thats because I also can't eat a pizza without chicken wings :'( I guess I'm going to have to or cut it all out to avoid any temptation lol.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I'll sometimes do a whole wheat flatbread pizza (there's a brand called Flat-out), with a light sprinkling of cheese. I heat it in my toaster oven. If I do order a pizza out, I'll get a thin and crispy crust with light cheese (I've always disliked tons of gooey cheese dominating the pizza - I prefer tasting the ingredients). My favorite toppings include some combination of: onions, artichoke hearts, sliced tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, shrimp, sausage, eggplant. I really like a Canadian bacon/shrimp/mushroom combo, but they have to be good quality shrimp.

I actually have never made my own pizza base but have wanted to for so long. And regarding the crust I'm going to have to start eating thin even though I just mentioned yesterday how I hate a thin base haha. I guess sacrifices need to be made.
  • tmi_gang
    tmi_gang Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    xxxTiaxxx wrote: »

My pizza order consists of a large pepperoni with extra cheese. In saying that I'm a food hoarder so I dont usually eat the whole pizza. Maybe thats because I also can't eat a pizza without chicken wings :'( I guess I'm going to have to or cut it all out to avoid any temptation lol.

Pizza and Hot Wings... Lawd have mercy. <3
  • xxxTiaxxx
    Options

Pizza and Hot Wings... Lawd have mercy. <3

Legit my life.... Or at least my weekend life. It's going to be hard to leave those bad boys out.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    Options
    Flat out or pitas - broil on one side until crispy, flip and top with sauce, toppings and cheese, and broil again. Pitas are more like traditional pizza, flat outs are more of a super thin crust.

Thats exactly what I was thinking of going with. And I haven't made my own pitas for awhile. Plus, they'd probably make me feel less guilty about enjoying something so much lol
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You can try baking it on a large tortilla instead of using pizza dough. It comes out like a cracker pizza. It's not that bad - just don't overload it on top. I make my own pizzas all the time due to the crazy price (think Large=$40) and prevalence of mayonnaise and corn on it here (S. Korea).
  • xxxTiaxxx
    Options
    CMB1979 wrote: »
    You can try baking it on a large tortilla instead of using pizza dough. It comes out like a cracker pizza. It's not that bad - just don't overload it on top. I make my own pizzas all the time due to the crazy price (think Large=$40) and prevalence of mayonnaise and corn on it here (S. Korea).

Wait wait wait.... $40 for a large pizza in SK? Is that in Won or is that definitely dollars?? I'm guessing pizza isn't as common as it is in the West.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    Options
    MiirandaC wrote: »
    We just had this tonight. Whole wheat pitas with primo pizza sauce, cheese, red and green peppers, onion, ham and pinapple. 2 complete pizza pitas = 480 cal.

Did you use mini pitas or big ones??
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use the flat out pizza crust as well. I do all different toppings. ( chicken bacon ranch, pepperoni and olive, mushroom and spinach, feta and gyro meat, Hawaiian style, sausage, peppers and onions, hamburger pizza.) Before I found the flat out crust I used English muffins all the time.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    Options
    BekahC1980 wrote: »
    I use the flat out pizza crust as well. I do all different toppings. ( chicken bacon ranch, pepperoni and olive, mushroom and spinach, feta and gyro meat, Hawaiian style, sausage, peppers and onions, hamburger pizza.) Before I found the flat out crust I used English muffins all the time.

Man, I'm so happy I did this post. I never thought of doing an English muffin.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CMB1979 wrote: »

Wait wait wait.... $40 for a large pizza in SK? Is that in Won or is that definitely dollars?? I'm guessing pizza isn't as common as it is in the West.

Pizza is very common - Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns, Mr. Pizza, Pizza Etang, etc etc. Most are around 42,000 won for a party size which is the size of an American large. That's around $36-37 with the current exchange rate. Maybe there's a sale if you're lucky. Korea in general (and Japan) has some of the highest food prices in the world. http://www.pji.co.kr/menu/pizza.jsp oh...and you have a set menu to choose from - can't pick your own toppings.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Pita pizzas are the bees knees...