Absolutely Starving

Options

Replies

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    If you are starving your body is telling you to eat. You should listen to it.
  • tland73
    tland73 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day and log it. Also get in some exercise even if it is 10 to 20 minutes. That helps a bunch. I just started using this site again a few days ago and I am following the 1200 calorie plan and honestly I have a hard time even getting in that many calories and feel so full. I eat fruits and veggies throughout the day and it seems to always keep me full and never hungry. Keep up the great work and don't give up! You will get there!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I couldn't make it on 1200 calories daily. I have 1200-calorie days, but I allow myself to go up to 1500 if I need to. I actually like going to bed hungry, though. Well...like may be a strong word. I have a better chance of being down the next day if I go to bed hungry.
  • slimfran42
    Options
    I totally agree and doing the same thing!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Google a TDEE calculator, enter the info it asks for, subtract 20% from the number it gives you, and eat that many calories per day to lose weight.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So I started MFP yesterday and have changed my eating drastically. I am now trying to do the 1200 calories that MFP alots but I have quite literally went to bed hungry yesterday and am getting ready to today. I am so hungry. Does anyone find 1200 calories tough to do?

One thing you need to remember is that this is a change for your body. If you ate somewhere close to 2000 calories a day, this is a complete shock for your body.

I know how you feel though. I went on vacation for two weeks and my eating habit changed. Now I'm trying to get back into eating like an angel, and I have honestly felt hungry by time I crawl into bed. Not too hungry to the point that I get headaches, or cannot sleep.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    what is your height, weight and age? do you exercise, if so how often, what did you set your weight loss goal at, 1lb??
    Louise
  • baharekgh
    baharekgh Posts: 1
    Options
    you are not alone. I am hungry now..and I think I eat 1300 cal. Why does life have to be so hard? ;)))
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. I lost the majority of my weight on way more calories than 1200, and I'm not exactly tall and was extremely sedentary until only recently.
    You're probably hungry because you're not eating enough. 1200 is the minimum number MFP gives anyone based on how you input your goals. In reality, most people need to be eating more than that. If you give us your height, weight, age, and goal weight, we can help you figure out how much to eat. Or you can go here to calculate your calorie needs: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This is also a really good thread explaining how many calories you need: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Anyway, no matter how much you're eating, try eating natural whole foods instead of processed stuff. Real food keeps you feeling satisfied for longer, for less calories. You can definitely still have treats in moderation; just try to clean up your diet a little. Weight loss doesn't have to be miserable and you should never have to go to bed hungry. Good luck!
  • sgarrett333
    Options
    I am doing 1200. The more you burn, the more you can eat. Eat more protein, drink more water,and you will be much more satisfied.I love  to eat, (hence why i need to lose weight) but sometimes I struggle to eat 1200 net after a super calorie burning day.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    change your loss per week goal to 1 or 1 and a half pounds. more calories, instantly. And a sustainable loss. 1200 is default minimum, its really not enough for most people.
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    add a few of us who are doing 1200 and see how we are eating. 1200 may not be right for you esp in the beginning I didn't start out with 1200
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    1. Save yourself a lot of trouble and LEARN HOVV TO COUNT MACROS here is a link to kickstart your knovvledge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUh3tmfM35w

2. Figure out hovv much calories you need daily ( based on your vveight, age, activity level )

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/from-here-to-macros-4-steps-to-better-nutrition.htm

3. Slovv progress is key.... its tempting to jump right at the opposite end of the spectrum but have you ask yourself if vvhat you are doing is feasible? you cant go anyvvhere vvhen you hit a sticking point coz 1200 is pretty lovv.

4. Be realistic vvith your goals, You should only lose 1- 1.5 lbs of fat vveekly to maintain as much muscle mass more than that is not healthy. Sure you vvill lose vveight quickly but along vvith it is your hard earned muscle mass.

5. You are changing a lifestyle. Dont rush it, enjoy the journey and revvard yourself a little treat once in a vvhile ( vveekly for me) ;) goodluck!
  • slyall08
    slyall08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Going by the TDEE, I should be eating 1580, that seems excessive!
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    1,200 is pretty low, especially just diving in. I try to NET 1,250 and often go over a bit. (I work out A LOT because i like to eat, and it feels good. My rule is if I'm starving, it's not right! Eat something, but be smart about choices. Fruit & veggies are so low in calories, and they give your body a direct shot of nutrients which is what it wants. Artificial flavored and fat-free processed food isn't satisfying because it gives your body little fuel it needs. Hence, your body asks for more.

Try baby carrots and a healthy dip like hummus. Or celery with cottage cheese. You need less healthy food than processed foods. I swear I could eat 3 Lean Cuisines and still be hungry! Give me a big bowl of fresh greens and chicken breast and I'm totally satisfied.

Good luck!
  • esevas
    esevas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What about exercise? Not only is it great for your mental health, it allows you to eat more. Hope this helps!

I walk 2-3 hours a day so I can eat a bit more. I eat net 1200 calories and am fine as long as I exercise.
  • kmbrown91
    kmbrown91 Posts: 5
    Options
    I thought I was going to have an issue with the 1200 calories a day, However I have not I make sure that I drink a ton of water! I start my day with 8oz right out of bed. 16oz after my morning shower and drink another 60 ounces or so throughout the day. The more water I drink the more I crave it. It helps me to feel fuller throughout the day. I usually eat 5 or 6 times a day low carb. I have dropped 12 pds in about 3 weeks and I am feeling great.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    MFP told me to eat 1200 calories at first too. Once I did a BMR and TDEE calculation -- I increased my calories to 1500 per day and I am still averaging between 1 and 2 pounds lost per week. I do not generally eat back my exercise calories, but I will if needed. I don't exercise a terrific amount -- real modest.

Eat more.
  • DaybirdE
    DaybirdE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is to find your Basal Metabolic Rate (655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years) ) and then times it by activity factor (Sedentary: Minimal movement, lots of TV watching, reading, etc. Activity factor = 1.4 Light activity: Office work, ~1 hour of moderate exercise/activity during the day. Activity factor = 1.5 Moderate activity: Light physical/manual labor during the day, plus more active lifestyle. Activity factor = 1.6 Very Active: Active military, full time athlete, hard physical/manual labor job. Activity factor = 1.9).

Then eat less than that.

1200 is the absolute bare minimum your body needs to survive without causing damage to your brain and reproductive organs, so don't feel bad if you go a bit over that.

Try adding filling foods with lower calories- eat lots of veggies, greek yogourt, quinoa.

Also, chewing gum will make you feel hungry. It stimulates your vagus nerve into telling your brain it's time to eat, but then you aren't giving it food, so your brain decides that you're hungry. Drink water instead!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i am 5'8 180 i dont exercise i lose around 1- 1.5lbs a week. I average 1600 cals a day