Evening Exercise Affecting Sleep

Options
Ugh. Why do I live in Florida again? This summer heat is forcing all of my runs to be in the evening around or after 7:30 PM. I feel great after, as usual, but I find I can't get to sleep afterward! I doubt I'll ever bring myself to do it in the early AM , and treadmill running is just the pits, man. I'm sure there are others with this same issue.

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I workout after my son goes to bed. Natural Calm (it's a magnesium supplement) works for me.
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I always read that you shouldn't do any exercising within 5 hours of going to bed. The best time is within 2-4 hours of waking up.

I've been doing my walking 5 or 6 pm, and also having trouble with sleep. I gotta get more disciplined and do it before 10am (after that, it's too hot)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    VividDawn wrote: »
    I always read that you shouldn't do any exercising within 5 hours of going to bed. The best time is within 2-4 hours of waking up.

I've been doing my walking 5 or 6 pm, and also having trouble with sleep. I gotta get more disciplined and do it before 10am (after that, it's too hot)

I've been working out an hour or two before bed for 6 months. Timing is a personal preference. Some people are too energized after and have problems sleeping. It actually helps me sleep better. It's all individual.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    VividDawn wrote: »

I'm the opposite, I dislike early morning exercise and my performance is best late morning onwards.
    I often work out late in the evening and get thrown out of the gym at 10pm.

It has an impact on my sleep but a positive one as I feel more relaxed and tired.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the evening I'm wired for hours. I have a friend that runs at 9-10 pm and falls right to sleep afterwards
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Why do I live in Florida again? This summer heat is forcing all of my runs to be in the evening around or after 7:30 PM. I feel great after, as usual, but I find I can't get to sleep afterward! I doubt I'll ever bring myself to do it in the early AM , and treadmill running is just the pits, man. I'm sure there are others with this same issue.

I'm sure you don't say that in December and January. In New Jersey we had a 3-foot snowstorm this past January. Don't feel bad we're going to be in the high 90s for the next three days

Everybody's different I work out at night and I sleep a lot better.