Alcoholic or Foodaholic

Options
2»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    toeyconway wrote: »
    Well I've taken Zoloft for 6 months now and am not sure if the weight gain is due to that, drinking, or eating unhealthy. But either way I need to lose weight if I don't want my parents to worry.

You need to have an honest chat with your prescribing physician. Zoloft (as well as other antidepressants) combined with alcohol binging can have some devastating consequences that far exceed worrying about your weight.

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/09/03/antidepressants-and-alcohol-interactions-side-effects-recommendations/
  • toeyconway
    toeyconway Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can have more than one destructive behavior. Are there any underlying issues that are unresolved and for which you're using food and alcohol as coping mechanisms? Perhaps speak with a therapist at least a time or two?
    You can have more than one destructive behavior. Are there any underlying issues that are unresolved and for which you're using food and alcohol as coping mechanisms? Perhaps speak with a therapist at least a time or two?

• toeyconway
    toeyconway Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105 oops lol still getting use to this app. But I've had a therapist as long as I've been taking medication and he's never had a problem with my drinking habits... But my parents do. I guess depression is one of those things that always comes back to you no matter how much outside help you try to get.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105 oops lol still getting use to this app. But I've had a therapist as long as I've been taking medication and he's never had a problem with my drinking habits... But my parents do. I guess depression is one of those things that always comes back to you no matter how much outside help you try to get.

Have you been honest with him about how much you're drinking and is he the one who prescribed you Zoloft? If not, did you tell the prescribing physician about your drinking?

Alcohol can exacerbate depression. I'm not here saying you are an alcoholic, or even unusual among 18 year old's in some countries, but the combination of eating and drinking behaviors, depression, and your medication isn't something to take lightly.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't drink often but it's always excessive and ends with puke.

Weight lifting is so intimidating considering I know nothing about it and can only bench a bar. But I would like to fix my posture and I heard lifting can help.

OK, #1 if you are serious about getting into shape and to get your mind and body into a healthier you, don't drink....pure and simple. If you are drinking (like you say you are), you need to get away from that stuff quickly before it becomes an issue; especially if you are going to college. If you do have an issue now, please get the necessary help that you need so that it won't get worse. People die doing what you are doing (drinking excessively and vomiting).

#2 You are not going to bulk up, if that's your issue. The only way you are going to bulk up is if you take steroids; a female's body is not the same as a male (duh) based on physiology. Weight Training is a great workout; it keeps your body tone, lose fat % and increases you metabolism. I would suggest to go to a gym, speak with a trainer and let them know you are interested in weight training and they can start you on the right path with correct form and push with your workouts.

Like I said, if you are serious, start with not drinking period and replace the urge with going to the gym; continue going to the gym while at college. If you are going on campus (and living), get to the gym there (usually nice facilities and you can meet great people there too).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Well I've taken Zoloft for 6 months now and am not sure if the weight gain is due to that, drinking, or eating unhealthy. But either way I need to lose weight if I don't want my parents to worry.

You shouldn't be drinking while on Zoloft.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
  • Loomus
    Loomus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a perfectly normal 18 year old to me. You'll learn your limits, it doesn't automatically make you an alcoholic. But it will make you gain weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You will note I asked this young woman if she thinks she is an alcoholic. The comment about always drinking to the puke stage is concerning.

There are different kinds of alcoholics. Functional alcoholics may limit their drinking on weekends. Some rarely drink but when they do they lose all control.

I think it's a little odd that the parents are tackling the weight gain first using the key to the liquor cabinet as the reward.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i can't say that you are an alcoholic or not but your drinking is unhealthy. drinking to the point of barfing isn't good. also zoloft and alcohol are not good together
  • lavenderbrowntwinkle
    Options
    I can live without booze but for me it became a coping issue for social situations and if I was upset about something I would drink to forget (past tragic events). I usually would drink just on the weekends and maybe have a drink during the week. As far as weight; I didnt really gain weight but the alcohol made it difficult to lose weight. It was difficult to quit drinking-I am a member of the Elks Lodge (which is essentially a bar) and my husband is a beer enthusiast (past frat boy). He put a kegerator in our garage...It is difficult to quit when your life is surrounded by...well, drinking alcohol.
    I am 32 years old and I still don't know my limit. Just be careful and be sure you are surrounded by people you trust.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Being 18 and having some out of control alcohol binges now and then is normal. Try having a glass of a no alcohol drink on between and see how you get on.

I am more worried about you drinking whilst on an anti depressant however, as alcohol is a natural depressant and influences your mood swings. I have had my stint on the happy pills myself, be careful of mixing alcohol with them, as tempting as it might be, it's really not the greatest option out there.