I'm on 1200 calories/day diet, should I eat my exercise calories?

Please give me advise! It's so confusing to read all the information online, some articles say I should, some say I shouldn't? Thank you!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
  • kurriouskat
    kurriouskat Posts: 7 Member
    I use MFP to track my calories and tell me how many to eat. I'm at 1200/day as well. I want to lose weight so I try not to eat back my exercise calories (even though that article tells me I should). It's personal preference for me though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yes! If you are going to use the absolute minimum calories possible as your goal I always recommend to eat at least a portion of your exercise calories back. If you have a more reasonable goal then I would say it's more of a choice.
  • GeoBaybee
    GeoBaybee Posts: 69 Member
    I'm on 1300 and depending on how hard I worked then I will eat back half of my calories. I never eat them all back. I think on my highest intake days I've eaten around 1600. I'm at a 21 lb loss @ 5 weeks in (157 to 136, goal of 118 by October 1st) I'm 5'5".
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    I think so, especially if your exercises burn about 300 or so calories, your net would be 900. I personally couldn't really function on that little. Just listen to your body and maybe it can help you to know whether to eat more of your exercise calories or not.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    I eat back half and usually burn about 700-800 calories per work out. I think it really depends on how much you burn. If you do low impact work outs and only burn 200-300 then I would not eat it back