Toning (what is that?)

Options
dlm7507
dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
What do people mean by "toning"? What is the actual objective? I ask because I see so many people talk/ask about it. Usually strength training gets mentioned. Some norms in strength training:
  • Hypertrophy (armor building) around 3 sets of 10
  • Strength around 5 sets of 5, 8 sets of 3 (grinds)
  • Power (explosive strength for sports) plyometrics, etc.
Wouldn't it make sense to actually define the objective? Is tone muscle? Should people think in terms of hypertrophy for that objective? If it's not hypertrophy, what is it?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    every time someone asks about toning the popular mfp response is to tell there is no such thing as toning and suggest they lose more weight. that is kinda sad because not everyone wants to lose weight and it seems like this advice encourages eating disorders or body image issues, Its possible to tone up muscle under a layer of fat. I wish people on this site would stop suggesting weight loss for everything. Not everyone wants to lose weight. Some people are happy being 10, 20 , 30 pounds overweight. I'm very happy being 30 or 40 lbs overweight and very toned solid muscles under my layer of fat. There are different kinds of toning, your three types are a good start.
    I'm sure you will get a bunch of "no such thing as toning" or "toning comes from losing more weight, calorie deficit, low bf%" responses to your post.
    You totally called it. Though when in a surplus my vascularity and muscular definition slowly but surely diminish despite the fact that I'm steadily gaining anywhere from 1-2lbs of muscle a month. Which is purely what I've learned from personal experience.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    It's more or less a term used to substitute muscular definition by people who don't understand the principles of fat loss and muscle gain. Many unknowing people are led to believe by many popular fitness media outlets that you can "tone" a muscle through specialized exercises. "Tone" is achieved by lowering total body fat percentage to reveal the underlying muscle. Which is a result of a prolonged constant calorie deficit.

case and point. Toned can also mean building up muscle (hypertrophy) under the same bf %, to make them more visible.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    every time someone asks about toning the popular mfp response is to tell there is no such thing as toning and suggest they lose more weight. that is kinda sad because not everyone wants to lose weight and it seems like this advice encourages eating disorders or body image issues, Its possible to tone up muscle under a layer of fat. I wish people on this site would stop suggesting weight loss for everything. Not everyone wants to lose weight. Some people are happy being 10, 20 , 30 pounds overweight. I'm very happy being 30 or 40 lbs overweight and very toned solid muscles under my layer of fat. There are different kinds of toning, your three types are a good start.
    I'm sure you will get a bunch of "no such thing as toning" or "toning comes from losing more weight, calorie deficit, low bf%" responses to your post.
    You totally called it. Though when in a surplus my vascularity and muscular definition slowly but surely diminish despite the fact that I'm steadily gaining anywhere from 1-2lbs of muscle a month. Which is purely what I've learned from personal experience.

does vascularity and muscle definition = toning? i dont think it does. I think toning can be a solid frame and muscles even under a reasonable layer of fat. Do you need to see veins to be toned? None of my veins show, but my shoulders and arms have shape and i consider myself toned.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Believe me I'm not arguing with you. You have vast amounts of knowledge when it comes to lifting. My definition of tone is what seems the be the general consensus, referring to definition, not how hard or how much muscle there is. When I oil rigged, though my body fat was higher, Though the underlying muscle was much harder to the touch at rest than anything I've built through induced hypertrophy. If that is what you're referring to Sonya.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I read "I want to be toned" or "I need to do some toning" I think of a person who wants to be somewhat lean but not super lean, with a bit of muscle. If it's a woman saying it, I picture Jennifer Aniston (because my celebrity knowledge is outdated lol) and I don't have a reference point for men. Bottom line, I see "toned" as a spot on the "fat vs muscle mass" spectrum, just like "ripped" or "shredded", neither of which are derided here on a regular basis.

ETA: I see Sonya's point about arms/shoulders having shape and agree that would fit my idea of toned too.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    When I use the word "toned", I mean that I don't want any muscle definition but I don't want any wobbly bits either.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I use the word "toned", I mean that I don't want any muscle definition but I don't want any wobbly bits either.

Yes this! Toning = no wobbly bits!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    When I hear someone using "toning" I immediately think the person knows little about exercise or are pandering to someone who doesn't as a way to sell them something.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So, toned is a Goldilocks not too thin and not too fat. That happens a the table, not the gym. People use the word in relation to exercise. What kind of exercise is appropriate for reaching that goal? Hypertrophy? Athleticism oriented? How does exercise relate to the goal of toned? I'm not being condescending. A lot of people seem to be seeking "toned" with exercise. So what kind of exercise contributes to that goal?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Yes this! Toning = no wobbly bits!

Yes, perfect definition! People (women) who say they just want to be 'toned' mean that they want to be firm. They are happier at higher BF level, but want a good muscle base underneath to tighten everything up so there is no wobble. Sports illustrated models, celebrity look (think Kate Hudson). They do not want visible muscle definition or vascularity.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    So, toned is a Goldilocks not too thin and not too fat. That happens a the table, not the gym. People use the word in relation to exercise. What kind of exercise is appropriate for reaching that goal? Hypertrophy? Athleticism oriented? How does exercise relate to the goal of toned? I'm not being condescending. A lot of people seem to be seeking "toned" with exercise. So what kind of exercise contributes to that goal?

I think calisthenics or endurance training is more oriented to that goal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I don't understand why everyone loses their minds at the mention of toning. Everyone knows what it means, when you speak condescending to someone that asks, you don't sound smart, you sound like a pompous *kitten*.

that's all fine but those who use the word "tone" have fallen for a fitness industry catch phrase that in reality isn't "real"

so does that make them sound like dumb *kitten* or naive dolts?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

basically whatever exercise they choose to do...not joking...

that phrase is a pet peeve of mine...mainly because you see it on the cover of women's day in relation to dr oz.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Toning.

guitar-tone-pot.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I think you've skipped the responses from people who said they consider "toned" to include having muscle but it is still covered by enough fat that there is a not a lot of definition--they're just not wobbly.

I thought about this this morning as I got ready for work. Looking in the mirror, I think I'm pretty much at the spot that many women would say "she's toned." I have muscle but I'm not cut/ripped/shredded (again, words that nobody bristles at the way they do "toned" for some reason.) I'm not wobbly.