Fluctuations

Options
So I know weight fluctuates and that's fine. Monday morning is my weighing time, and last Monday I weighed in at 220. I use my weekly calorie average instead of daily, and last week I went slightly over maintenance, so I knew I wasn't going to lose any.

I weighed myself on Monday morning and weighed in at 228. Fine, I ate junk on Sunday so I was probably a little bloated with some water weight.

This morning I weighed in just to see if that water weight had budged, and I weighed in at 218. Now that would mean I've lost 2lbs since last Monday, even with going slightly over maintenance last week.

I'm not particularly fussed about weight, but I do weigh myself to make sure I am losing. So my question is, is it possible for weight to fluctuate downwards? I mean, I'll take the loss of course but it doesn't seem right.

Thank you :)

Replies

• Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I believe it can as sometimes im 3lb down and then the next day it will be showing as not 3 but 1 and it will stay like that for the full week so I just put it down to fluctuations.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates both up and down due to water retention changes from day to day. I usually weigh in on Friday, since I'm more consistent with hitting my goals during the week and relax a bit on the weekend. The best thing to do is to look at your progress over the last month. That will give you a better indication of your progress.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates up and down (for me even at maintenance there can be up to 1-2lbs either way from day to day), as long as the overall trend is going the way you like it each month then you know all is fine.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Check the sodium you ate in the past week. Alcohol causes me to hold on to water also.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes it's definitely possible! I weigh myself everyday and every week my weight seems to be like (for example) 130 then 128.5 the next day then 129.5 the next day. Obviously I didn't lose 1.5 pounds in a day because I eat 1200 on average a day. It goes back up the day after and makes a lot more sense (.5 pounds in two days, instead of 1.5 in one). I suggest using the app happy scale, you can put your weight into there everyday and it's really easy to see that the trend is (hopefully) downwards. Plus, it tells you your average loss per week. I can tell exactly when I had my period using that app because that's the only week my weight goes up or stays the same for the entire week lol :smile: